Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's up at Gibson?

Default Re: What's up at Gibson?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Really???????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????
    Sounds like a Martin man!

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by barney 59 View Post
    Sounds like a Martin man!
    He´s probably never played an old one (Bannerhead guitars in general, old L-00´s, old Super Jumbos [pre war 200s, yummy]), not speaking about jazz gutiars.

My old box outplays most other guitars I have ever played (including some interesting vintage ones). But hey, different strokes for different folks. I do generally not get the Bourgois or Collings thing (also on mandolin), even though they are highliy regarded.
    Olaf

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grassrootphilosopher For This Useful Post:

I have a friend involved with the historic preservation people here and I have not heard anything since the last thread I posted in on the smokestack last winter.
    She was of the understanding that it was just waiting for paperwork and surveys to determine when and where to start. It's "in the works" as the saying goes.
    So, Joyce, fretboard festival was fun?
    As to the guitar quality, I have played some pretty darned fine Gibson guitars, there's a friend of mine has a spectacular J-200, I know several blues guys with J-185s that are incredible. So, while you may not have played one that you are impressed with, everyone hears things differently.
    Seems to me that WSMwas pleased enough with one to own one, right.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by grassrootphilosopher View Post
    He´s probably never played an old one (Bannerhead guitars in general, old L-00´s, old Super Jumbos [pre war 200s, yummy]), not speaking about jazz gutiars.

My old box outplays most other guitars I have ever played (including some interesting vintage ones). But hey, different strokes for different folks. I do generally not get the Bourgois or Collings thing (also on mandolin), even though they are highliy regarded.
    That SJ --rosewood one --1936 is the one Gibson that most die hard Martin players really love if they ever get to play one. Good luck getting to play one 'cause they are really rare. It had a Martin scale fretboard that is why! Retro Fret had one a few years back that I got to play but at $40k it was a bit out of reach!
    Last edited by barney 59; Mar-28-2016 at 5:17pm.

6. The following members say thank you to barney 59 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    I have a friend involved with the historic preservation people here and I have not heard anything since the last thread I posted in on the smokestack last winter.
    She was of the understanding that it was just waiting for paperwork and surveys to determine when and where to start. It's "in the works" as the saying goes.
    As to the guitar quality, I have played some pretty darned fine Gibson guitars, there's a friend of mine has a spectacular J-200, I know several blues guys with J-185s that are incredible. So, while you may not have played one that you are impressed with, everyone hears things differently.
    Seems to me that WSMwas pleased enough with one to own one, right.
    Having gone the preservation route a couple of times and paid attention to a whole lot more that were being worked on they go along and go along but often they fail seeming at the last minute. Owners of historic properties often say that they want to preserve the structure and maybe they actually do but what they really mean is they would love to preserve the structure if someone else is willing to pay for it. There isn't much public funding for these things. Usually the projected costs of the restoration is much,much higher then anyone imagined going in! If the structure is inside a designated historic area then funding might be found and any buildings at risk inside an area like that will always take priority for any funding that is available. Hopefully after the surveys they determine that the cost of preservation of the smokestack is something attainable and some rock and roll stars pony up 'cause it would be nice to see it saved.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Yes, it was! Several of the event staff were kids from some of my old classes at Western. They were happy to see that I wrote a book and lead me through the crowd with my stuff like a VIP.

I got three offers for lectures and the life-size Orville poster was a hit. And of course, the music was great. It's outgrowing the venue, I think. They're going to have to get a bigger hall.
    Joyce

All facts are important, it's just the context that changes - Mr. Vincent Nigel-Murray

Guitar, brown with six strings.

Not really, it's a 1976 Alvarez, model 5059

Gibson made in their past some pretty incredible guitars. Many prewar models like the J30, SJ, SJ200 and many post war models like the J45/J50/SJ/SJN and SJ185 and SJ200. I've even played some nice Hummingbirds and Doves. While they may not play nor sound like a Martin, they do stand on their own merit as great acoustic guitars. The first bluegrass boy with Monroe started out with a Gibson guitar. The reason the majority of them played a Martin D28 is Monroe bought one and kept it for them to use up until 1965 when it "went missing".

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barney 59 View Post
    That SJ --rosewood one --1936 is the one Gibson that most die hard Martin players really love if they ever get to play one. Good luck getting to play one 'cause they are really rare. It had a Martin scale fretboard that is why! Retro Fret had one a few years back that I got to play but at $40k it was a bit out of reach!
    The same is true of the Gibson Advanced Jumbo (1935 - 40) -- rosewood b & s (it was Indian), red spruce top, scalloped braces with the 25.5" scale. The reissued (1990 to present) AJ is the same specs and they are the equal of most Martins IMO.

The SJ-200 also has the longer scale.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I owned one of the newer AJ's. It had nothing on my D-28 Marquis. It was pretty and that was about it. I've owned several Gibson guitars including a 70's Gospel (real dog). I'm not a real fan of Gibson guitars. The only one I can say I really liked was a 69 Hummingbird that belonged to a friend of mine. There's a reason Martin has become the standard in bluegrass and there's a reason Gibson mandolins (and banjos) became the standards as well.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

13. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    The same is true of the Gibson Advanced Jumbo (1935 - 40) -- rosewood b & s (it was Indian), red spruce top, scalloped braces with the 25.5" scale. The reissued (1990 to present) AJ is the same specs and they are the equal of most Martins IMO.

The SJ-200 also has the longer scale.
    oops sorry I meant Advanced Jumbo

Where have all the "Grammers" gone?
    Long time picking...

But, seriously, I used to see a few of those at festivals but, not so much anymore.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I owned one of the newer AJ's. It had nothing on my D-28 Marquis. It was pretty and that was about it. I've owned several Gibson guitars including a 70's Gospel (real dog). I'm not a real fan of Gibson guitars. The only one I can say I really liked was a 69 Hummingbird that belonged to a friend of mine. There's a reason Martin has become the standard in bluegrass and there's a reason Gibson mandolins (and banjos) became the standards as well.
    Mike, ever played a recent/reissue "1935 Advanced Jumbo"? These guitars are outstanding and absolutely fine - well, at least the one I compared to 4 ordinary AJs and several recent Martins. They cost twice as much as regular AJs, but in my book rightfully so.
    As soon as you gang around one microphone, a boomy scalloped-bracing rosewood Martin may be fine. For all other purposes, I'd prefer a more balanced sound, a non-scalloped Martin or a Gibson AJ. I wonder how an original vintage AJ compares to a 1945 non-scalloped D-28.

I wish Steve Carlson could buy back the Flatiron brand...........
    Russ Jordan

18. The following members say thank you to Russ Jordan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Eagle View Post
    ...I wonder how an original vintage AJ compares to a 1945 non-scalloped D-28.
    My AJ was built around 2005. As far as comparing the originals that probably won't happen for me unless I get invited to somebody's house that owns them
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    My AJ was built around 2005. As far as comparing the originals that probably won't happen for me unless I get invited to somebody's house that owns them
    I can relate to that; much less of a chance over here in Europe. Although, my little brother does own the Martin half of such an encounter.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Jordan View Post
    I wish Steve Carlson could buy back the Flatiron brand...........
    Word on the street from a third party source is that Steve Carlson was "royally screwed" by Henry when he left Gibson. I doubt Gibson(Henry) would do business with Steve again....
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Blog Entries

We have an interesting AJ. Unusual purfling around the top. This was one of the '100th Anniversary' series they issued in 1994. Definitely more 'mid-rangy' than a typical Martin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gibson_AJ_94.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	144970 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AJ_close.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	144971

Nothing is standard with Gibson...
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.