Thread: Damaged Gilson F5L

Default Damaged Gilson F5L

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAMAGED-2001...YAAOSwJQdW-ZWv

So would this have any value other than the parts? Can't imagine it is worth the trouble to try to put together and what would you have if you were successful. Would the label be of value, if so how? Just curious as their seems to be lots of activity with so much time left.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Damaged Gilson F5L

Anything can be fixed with either enough time or enough skill. If it were sitting here infront of me for a couple hundred it might be difficult to walk away from. Without any sentimental value, it certainly wouldn't be feasible for me to pay someone to repair it.

And then for me at lesst, the damaged finish adds a whole new dimension of UGH!
    1983 Flatiron 1N - Pancake/Army-Navy
    2011 Eastman MD-315 - F-style
    Rover RM-50B - A-style

2014 Satin Cherry, Gibson USA 120th Anniversary SGJ14
    Godin Guitars' Art & Lutherie "Spruce" 6-string dreadnought. Hand made in Canada.

A good project for a reasonably advanced student of mandolin repair. Someone who is already learning proper repair techniques could get a lot of experience and practice for a tuition of under $500, and could get that and more back by selling the repaired instrument when the project is done.
    Otherwise, there are plenty of better mandolins for sale that don't need thousands of dollars worth of repairs, so unless one is buying it for the repair experience opportunity, I don't think it is worth fixing.
    Also, it is not a good project for a beginner.

I'm not seeing any pics of the headstock either... I'd really like to see the headstock!
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

Not a project for me, I was just surprised at the activity and with so much time left on the auction. The damage is top, bottom, sides, even the fretboard is cracked. I was also thinking that if it had a good neck and headstock and someone needed one that would make sense. Surprised he did not take pics of the neck and headstock, especially if they are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest Steve View Post
    ...I was just surprised at the activity and with so much time left on the auction. The damage is top, bottom, sides, even the fretboard is cracked.
    There is a real temptation, on the part of lots of people, to see things like this and think they can grab them cheap, fix them, and have a good instrument for little money. That often ends up with people over-paying. It's no surprise to me that there is considerable activity. 25 years ago I'd have probably bought it myself (...and it would probably still be lying around waiting for me to fix it...).

7. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Rip off the Gibson name and this is a $100 hunk a junk. Better mandolins out there with less damage and less price tag.

That's a lot of money for a Gilson...

Damaged Gibson mandolins and guitars always bring stupid money on eBay.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Ended up at $1250 plus 25 shipping. Hopefully the new owner will post some pics when the get it in playing shape.

I was surprised at the amount of interest. I think a talented person could restore it if time or money wasn't a consideration. i.e., you restore it yourself. If you had to pay someone you could easily be "upside down" in this one.

There will always be people of "vision" who spot the old Corvette in the farmer's field with trees growing out of it and still are able to picture themselves riding down the road with the top down and the wind blowing through their hair.......

Seems like they do it every week on Fast'N'Loud..........they buy an old car for $3 grand and put another $45K into it and end up with a pretty nice car............don't they?

Hey, I guess we have a fairly inexpensive hobby, by comparison!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I was surprised at the amount of interest. I think a talented person could restore it if time or money wasn't a consideration. i.e., you restore it yourself. If you had to pay someone you could easily be "upside down" in this one.
    yep - at that price - I can't imagine trying to fix it yourself and break even on a resale.

As long as the tone bars weren't popped loose, or cracked, it looks like it would go back together pretty easily. I don't think it was a bad deal.. I'd love to have a beater F5L.

I was tempted. Price was too high in the end. Too many unknowns without examining it in hand. Splits in the top and back don't scare me as much as how many places the ribs were broken at. In addition, the extension end of the fingerboard took quite a shock to have a fret come out like it did. The seller tripped and fell into a piece of furniture while wearing the mando. With that much force, the neck joint could be compromised. Hopefully, the buyer can fix it and make it a player.
    I can buy a lot of wood for $1250. I'd rather spend my money and time building new mandos.

Another reason to buy a Gibson.
    You can fall and crush it and still get over $1200 for it! I'd say the owner did OK. The buyer? After the purchase price and about $2000 worth of repairs, he/she might have a $3000 mandolin, and that makes the tuition for the repair experience only a few hundred dollars. Not too bad, really.

Wow, just wow. There's several builders who can make a mandolin for that price and probably sound just as good if not better. I got change my name to Gilson...

Quote Originally Posted by fscotte View Post
    Wow, just wow. There's several builders who can make a mandolin for that price and probably sound just as good if not better. I got change my name to Gilson...
    Indeed. I've played a number of F5-L's. They are hit and miss in terms of sounding good IMO. You could spend a lot of time and money to get it playing only to find out it's one of the not so good sounding ones. Unbelievable what a brand name does.