Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Breedlove Crossover models

Default New Breedlove Crossover models

Recently acquired one of their '16 models. Definitely an upgrade from the previous Crossover (though I like my OO a lot.) Superb fit and finish. The tone is bit bright, maybe due to the glossy finish.

Though it doesn't show up in the photos well, the Breedlove logo is done in pearl or abalone. The finish color is almost a blondish tone, much lighter than most sunbursts that you see around and the shading from center to the edges is much more subtle than others at this level.

Made in Bend!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando-breedloveffsb01.jpg 
Views:	632 
Size:	202.4 KB 
ID:	145115Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando-breedloveffsb02.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	191.5 KB 
ID:	145116Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando-breedloveffsb05.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	327.9 KB 
ID:	145117

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Default Re: New Breedlove Crossover models

Very nice.... I do like the Breedlove F style
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

It was really an impulse buy. A day before I had no idea I'd be buying a new Breedlove. They really shouldn't design it so that the button to see if you qualify for credit takes you directly to the "thanks for your purchase" page.

Thanks for the review. I'd like to play one.
    Clarification: All Breedlove mandolin production has been moved to China. No longer made in Bend, OR.

I got a call from the local shop that they received a Breedlove Crossover FF and went in to try it out. It is a nice instrument, and shares some similarities to the Breedlove FF of old, but they are mostly superficial. While the dimensions are the same, the new Chinese made Breedlove Crossover FF is far inferior to the USA made FF.
    I'll start with the good: dimensions are the same as the USA FF, same wide nut and fretboard, same fret size, feels very comfortable to play, nice looking finish, same solid tailpiece, D'Addario EJ74 strings

The bad: possibly poorly graduated front and back, and overly thick finish give it a weak sound. Mostly strings, without much body vibration. Not woody sounding like the USA made FF. In fact, while playing, I felt very little movement from the back of the instrument. While the finish looks nice, the wood is not flamed maple, and besides the unique shape, it is quite plain. Rosewood fingerboard and bridge are cheap. Possibly a better bridge might bring out more sound, but I'm betting that most of the problem is the too thick finish. While it looks quite glossy, it also looks like there is 3 times more lacquer than necessary.

I played it side by side with The Eastman MD305, MD505, MD315, MD515. All of the Eastman mandolins sounded better than the Breedlove Crossover FF. Richer/fuller tone, more bark, more clarity. The best of the bunch, in my opinion, is the Eastman MD505, which happens to be the same price as the Breedlove Crossover FF @ $699.

It might be worth it to buy the Crossover FF at about $350, but it is certainly no competition for other $700 mandolins. I think even the $479 Eastman MD305 sounds better. You could buy the Eastman MD505 or the Eastman MD315 for the same money as the Crossover FF. Or spend $100 less and get a Kentucky KM505. All are better mandolins than the Breedlove.

It's definitely bright and well glossed to within an inch of its life. And I suppose made in China makes sense at that price. Got my hopes up too early.

I think I should put in a little more detail as I think the instrument deserves it. Your review is well taken, colorado al, and I agree to some extent. It is highly lacquered, but I didn't feel that this interfered so much with the sound. It is definitely bright and certainly a different beast from the more barky Eastmen and Kentuckies. The fit and finish is, as usual for Breedlove, impeccable.

Here is where I got mixed up on the manufacturing location. I looked at the big gold sticker and forgot about the fine print on the other label. (I wonder if these were placed the way they were with the intention of letting the casual player assume it was built in Oregon.)

Attachment 145881Attachment 145882

Pics again (not showing up)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	breedlove-label1sm.jpg 
Views:	474 
Size:	190.5 KB 
ID:	145883Click image for larger version. 

Name:	breedlove-label3sm.jpg 
Views:	521 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	145884

All Breedlove mandolin production has not been moved to China, only the crossover models are made in China. Not sure I understand the confusion, looks pretty clearly marked to me. One sticker says hand crafted in China and the other says final inspection and set up in Bend, Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbrohl View Post
    All Breedlove mandolin production has not been moved to China, only the crossover models are made in China.
    But it is moving to China

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/co...lin-Production

Discussed here

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...-Weber-be-next

All of the Current Breedlove mandolins are made in China.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Robert how would you characterize the difference in sound and quality between the Crossover OF model and the regular OF model?

Do you mean the older OF model? All of the current OF are Crossovers.
    Robert Fear

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I do mean the older models which were American made. Thanks.

The Crossovers have really nice fit and finish. Surprisingly good. Visually, the the OF models had a little something extra, but it is hard to explain exactly what it was.

Tonally, The OF had noticeably better tone than the first generation Crossover. The newer Crossovers improved the tone and are getting closer to the old OF, but not quite there yet.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

17. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

I had a Breedlove crossover mandolin in the layaway. Unfortunately, it was a MIRC instrument (musical instrument reclamation). After a little investigation I found the companies location it is Franklin TN. Stay away from this company they are unscrupulous. I tried to call mirc after I found out what the music store was trying to do, pass it off as new. MIRC gave me the run around, and they would never tell me what they supposedly did to the instrument. As it stands, I don't have the mandolin or my money. I am very disappointed with Breedlove they acted as if they never even made the mandolin and they refused to help me in any way. Also, should Breedlove be dumping their junk mandolins on the public? I say not. Furthermore, the music store in question is still waving a Breedlove official dealer sign. I told Breedlove that the store was representing these junk mandolins as new. They seemed to be happy about the fact they have unloaded unplayable instruments on unsuspecting customers. Thanks Breedlove your the best!
    MandoNz out!

There is a story on how I found out what this store is doing along with mirc
    I talked with other people in the Chattanooga tn area and they had a similar story, and all the other music stores told me that the store in question does this kind of thing.

While I really feel for you, I am not sure MIRC or Breedlove did anything wrong. I don't read of any wrong doing up until the store tries to sell you the mandolin. In this case, it sounds like the store is at fault. I am familiar with what MIRC does. I have never bought anything from them though. MIRC only deals directly with dealers and under most circumstances, would not talk to an end user. This may not mean that they don't look into the situation.

We are into grey market here. If you buy Cameras, high-end watches, etc.., you see how common grey market is.

This is hypothetical...
    If MIRC did not get the mandolin from Breedlove, they may not have had to mark it. Maybe it was new and from a different source.

If Breedlove sold instruments to MIRC, I am sure the agreement would have been to not sell them as new factory firsts unless they were factory firsts. There would normally be some sort of mark on the instrument to represent anything other than a first. Example a "used" stamp on the headstock.

I don't know all of MIRC's sources, but there are plenty of sources for problem instruments. Anytime an instrument is damaged during shipping and an insurance claim is paid, the carrier takes the damaged instrument and sells it off. Some of the biggest online sellers auction off their returns in bulk. These have no rules at all as far as marking them used or damaged. The same goes for overstocks and closeouts. These are often sold in bulk.

I would actually like to know what happened myself. What was wrong with the mandolin, or how did you find out that it was from MIRC?

It sounds like you may have grounds for recourse against this store.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    While I really feel for you, I am not sure MIRC or Breedlove did anything wrong. I don't read of any wrong doing up until the store tries to sell you the mandolin. In this case, it sounds like the store is at fault. I am familiar with what MIRC does. I have never bought anything from them though. MIRC only deals directly with dealers and under most circumstances, would not talk to an end user. This may not mean that they don't look into the situation.

We are into grey market here. If you buy Cameras, high-end watches, etc.., you see how common grey market is.

This is hypothetical...
    If MIRC did not get the mandolin from Breedlove, they may not have had to mark it. Maybe it was new and from a different source.

If Breedlove sold instruments to MIRC, I am sure the agreement would have been to not sell them as new factory firsts unless they were factory firsts. There would normally be some sort of mark on the instrument to represent anything other than a first. Example a "used" stamp on the headstock.

I don't know all of MIRC's sources, but there are plenty of sources for problem instruments. Anytime an instrument is damaged during shipping and an insurance claim is paid, the carrier takes the damaged instrument and sells it off. Some of the biggest online sellers auction off their returns in bulk. These have no rules at all as far as marking them used or damaged. The same goes for overstocks and closeouts. These are often sold in bulk.

I would actually like to know what happened myself. What was wrong with the mandolin, or how did you find out that it was from MIRC?

It sounds like you may have grounds for recourse against this store.
    Robert, I found out it was MIRC after having a conversation with Breedlove the person at Breedlove told me the serial number was a MIRC number. Also, the person at Breedlove stated that they will not work on the mandolins even if I paid them. I was in the construction business for years and even little low me had to stand behind my work. I could not perform work for the public that did not pass certain state and county codes, so I am tough on businesses simply because I held myself to a high standard. Breedlove has more depth in their business than me. When I called MIRC the person there said she would have her field rep call me " well to my surprise their so called field rep was the crook at the store where the mandolin was", so that told me they are running a scam. All I wanted was MIRC to tell what was wrong with mandolin. I have a friend that works on mandolins. I was going to go through with the purchase and get him to check the mandolin out. However, the store owner cursed me out because I called Breedlove investigating the issue. I don't know any custom builder that would dump crappy products on the public most of them will fix their mandolins just to protect their name as I would. I got to go off to work but I tell you how I smoked them out this evening.

MandoNa

Jdowlen, welcome to the forum.

Have you taken the time to read the forum posting guidelines yet? I am not a moderator but it seems to me you are dangerously close to violating the guideline about using forum posts to gain advantage in a private dispute with a business. I don't think you have crossed the line yet but it's getting there. I wanted to make you aware of those guidelines if you have not read them yet. You may not be aware that your posts can be removed or edited, your posting privileges suspended, and the thread can be locked if things get to bad. This is a good discussion, and I would hate to see it get locked. Please tread lightly. A locked thread does no good for anybody.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

22. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

I was merely stating the facts. I am sorry I offend you.

MandoNZ

I think you have missed Don's point.

As I said, I am not trying to offend anyone here. I sometimes have an over passionate way of expressing myself, and cavalier semantics.

MandoNZ out

Quote Originally Posted by jdowlen View Post
    . . . cavalier semantics.
    Great band name.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    It's definitely bright and well glossed to within an inch of its life. And I suppose made in China makes sense at that price. Got my hopes up too early.
    The entire "Crossover" thing, I believe is like "Crossover the Pond." At least that is the way I think of it.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"