Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Breedlove Crossover models

Default Re: New Breedlove Crossover models

What is this MIRC company under discussion? I never heard of them before. Is this a viable business model for folks wanting to buy and sell instruments?

MIRC reconditions instruments and sells them to dealers. A lot of major brands sell blems, seconds and overstocks to them. You mostly see lower models, but it does vary.

You might do ok if you have a local market. It would be difficult to make money selling them online. That is just for the simple fact that musical instruments are highly saturated and often sold below cost. Most of the time, you will find you need to ask the same price a BIG box store is selling new versions for. I know this makes no sense whatsoever, but it is the truth.

Not trying to be discouraging.. I used to have a login for MIRC to check inventory. I never purchased anything.

From MIRC:

If you think that our products and services would benefit your company and you can meet the following requirements:

Be willing to place a $1000.00 opening order and be able to purchase a minimum of $500.00 per month or $1500.00 per calendar quarter. This base line purchase requirement will qualify a dealer to be considered “Active” and benefit from our extra discounts, daily specials and freight co-op plan.
    Have a valid state re-sale number.
    Be actively engaged in the resale of musical instruments.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

3. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Petrus 

The Cavalier Semantics! Comprised of English majors at UVa.
    Skip Kelley F5-BRW Adi/Brazilian rosewood with Virzi

Now that you've explained MIRC, I think I know where our local dealer is getting all his B stock guitars. He's been getting a few Breedlove instruments lately which is what has sparked my interest. We don't normally have anyone carrying that line in this part of the country.

There is nothing wrong with MIRC as a company, but there does end up being some opportunity for things to go awry with this situation. It is perfectly fine, IF the instruments end up in the hands of honest dealers selling them as what they are. I imagine the main market for these is the local shops and pawn shops. Online dealers will have a difficult time turning a profit with them (which I why you don't see very many online dealers selling them). I do know of a couple online shops that look like they specialize in them, but again, not the norm.
    Robert Fear

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Agreed. My local shop in small town nearby is quite clear he is selling B stock and he does a set up on each instrument so he knows exactly what the imperfections are. He says it allows him to keep a large inventory on the floor. Most of the guitar shops in the big city of Ottawa don't have the stock he does.

MIRC does have an interesting business. Most large instrument retailers would have no need of their services. Elderly, for example, seems to get plenty of used inventory through trade in, consignment. And so on. I suspect that many of the "usual suspects" we deal with (big major well known musical instrument retailers) would have no need either.

I would see this as something for a small mom and pop store in an isolated area, what I refer to as a music store desert, with little to no competition.

I was blown away to find out pawn shops actually use this service for inventory. Whatever happened to the starving musicians and broken up bands pawning their stuff? Isn't that a great American tradition? Where did they all go? What is this world coming too? Glenn Miller must be rolling over in his grave. For those who don't know the story, he famously pawned his trombone to buy a string of pearls for his girl. He got the trombone back of course, and wrote a song to commemorate the experience, "String of Pearls".
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

9. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

MIRC does have an interesting business. Most large instrument retailers would have no need of their services. Elderly, for example, seems to get plenty of used inventory through trade in, consignment. And so on. I suspect that many of the "usual suspects" we deal with (big major well known musical instrument retailers) would have no need either.
    You are totally right here. There is one other part to it though.... Authorized dealers normally get the first shot at all this stuff. What we don't buy, then goes to places like MIRC. Not the case with every brand, but most do offer the blems and seconds to their dealers. This is another thing I do not normally do. If the instrument just has a blemish, we don't get much of a discount. We only get a good amount off if there is something more extreme wrong with it.

I would see this as something for a small mom and pop store in an isolated area, what I refer to as a music store desert, with little to no competition.
    That has been my experience.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    I was blown away to find out pawn shops actually use this service for inventory. Whatever happened to the starving musicians and broken up bands pawning their stuff? Isn't that a great American tradition? Where did they all go? What is this world coming too? Glenn Miller must be rolling over in his grave. For those who don't know the story, he famously pawned his trombone to buy a string of pearls for his girl. He got the trombone back of course, and wrote a song to commemorate the experience, "String of Pearls".
    Hadn't heard that one, though I've read of several musicians who ended up repeatedly pawning and redeeming their instruments for less salubrious motives (Chet Baker comes to mind.)

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

My 2 cents... I had a chance to play one of the new OO models last week. I have one of the older ones in matte black and although I didn't have it with me to compare, I didn't notice any huge improvement in the new one. I personally found the high gloss, thick looking finish garish.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

MIRC kinda sounds like Made In Republic of China? But really, these dayze who cares where good stuff is made?

Back to the Crossover ... I have a new and recent build FF in NT that's a "B" stock I picked up online for $480 shipped, simply to check out. After careful inspection outside and in with a lamp and magnifier, I dunno what made it a "B". Anyhoo, I'm more than pleased with its tone, which is very open,resonant, and far closer to an "A" than an "F". Playability was so-so and required a full fret L&C besides the usual less invasive tweaks. It came with a Breedlove mando gig bag that has been replaced with a hardshell. I didn't expect or want to like this mandolin ...but clearly I do, and it's become a daily go-to player.
    Mandolins are truly *magic*!

I made an offer which was declined for a crossover OF from a Chattanooga store. It was stated that the headstock was stamped "used" I wonder . . . ?

A couple of questions....
    Is the lack of a truss rod a concern?
    Played a new one yesterday...played really well but the tone was WAY bright and one dimensional...would this mellow out a bit with playing time? LOVED the way it played but would this tone help or hurt in a Bluegrass band mix?
    A/B'd it with an Eastman 305 with satin finish.... the tone of the Eastman was much more pleasant but still seemed to cut nicely.

I guess what I would like to know is would the Crossover mellow a bit with age?
    Thanks

I am sure that someone with more knowledge will chime in, but my opinion fwiw is that if it doesn't sound like you want it to at first, it never will. Just my $.02....... c
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Thanks Mike, that was my thought too. I am a guitar player and the crossover felt better but did not have the sound I was looking for.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie Ed View Post
    A couple of questions....Is the lack of a truss rod a concern?
    An adjustable truss rod is nice but not absolutely necessary. A whole bunch of mandolins were built without one a century ago and they're still going strong today. It does, however, offer a way to adjust the amount of relief in the neck in order to set up a mandolin optimally without the more costly surgery of pulling the frets and replaning the fingerboard.

Played a new one yesterday...played really well but the tone was WAY bright and one dimensional...would this mellow out a bit with playing time?
    You're more likely to mellow the tone with your choice of string, pick, and technique than playing time, in my experience.

LOVED the way it played but would this tone help or hurt in a Bluegrass band mix?
    I often get the sense that bright and one dimensional play better in a mix where dark overtones get lost. It's in solo play that those same characteristics strike me as strident and undesirable.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    The Crossovers have really nice fit and finish. Surprisingly good. Visually, the the OF models had a little something extra, but it is hard to explain exactly what it was.

Tonally, The OF had noticeably better tone than the first generation Crossover. The newer Crossovers improved the tone and are getting closer to the old OF, but not quite there yet.
    I think I'm going to have another look at the Breedlove Crossovers and see if the newer versions are better then the laminated Breedlove Crossover that I played before.

I'm changing my mind about the Breedlove Crossover. At least the oval hole models. I played all 6 types: OO, OF, KO, KF, FO & FF, at a local shop the other day.
    While they are still not remotely as good as the American made Breedlove mandolins, I think they are decent low price instruments, if you stick with the O body at less than $500. All of the "F" hole models were very thin sounding, but the oval hole models had some real presence and great sustain. Nice and round on the low end. All of them were a bit harsh on the high end.

They are made with solid woods, but they are pressed, not carved. The top is pretty thick, and the finish is also, which makes them pretty heavy.
    I ended up buying a B stock OO in the violin stain finish, for $300. It is the 2015 model, which is the only year that they had an adjustable truss rod, I think. The setup was reasonably good. No changes to the nut required and only slight modifications to the bridge. The bridge compensation was a bit off, but it only took about 10 minutes to sand down the front of the A string section and get it right. Intonation is good now. The large frets and radiused fingerboard make it easy to play. The neck profile is a bit on the large side, but not nearly as chunky as the standard Weber D neck. I also like that on the oval hole models the neck & fingerboard are still A5/F5 style. Raised off of the body and attached at the 15th fret. The machined anodized aluminum tailpiece is OK. Same as on the American made Premier series. Nice solid attachment to the mandolin, but not the easiest to string up. It also causes lots of strange overtones. Dampening the strings between the tailpiece and the bridge with a piece of leather took care of that easily.

I changed the strings to D'addario EFW74 flatwounds and it sounds pretty good. When I put my Tone Gard on it is actually one of the loudest oval hole mandolins I have heard in a while. I wouldn't be ashamed to bring it to an Irish session and I think it would hold its own pretty well.

They certainly are not A model Gibsons, or Collings MTO, but for a fraction of the price, I think they are pretty good. I'd recommend looking around for a used or B-stock instrument. I definitely would not spend $500+ on one. If you can do it for $400 or less, I think that is decent. I would not spend $750 for the FF or FO. There are way better instruments in that price range. I would say if you're looking for a flat top oval hole mandolin, you should check out the Breedlove Crossover OO as well.

I'll try to post some clips when I get a chance.

I also bought an armrest from Soliver made of wenge. It is quite well made and comfortable and is a great match with the color.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171020_122625.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	161702
    Last edited by colorado_al; Oct-22-2017 at 2:06am.

I would add that the tuners are just OK. They are about the same as you'd find on the Eastman 300 series. Most sellers call this tuner the "Economy" model.
    https://www.allparts.com/TK-0370-001...et_p_3623.html
    Not really worth the $20 they cost. They work OK but are not machined that well and sometimes slip when changing tuning direction, even with a properly cut nut and bridge. Once you get the string to where you want it, they hold reasonably well. Tuners are really all that I would swap out on this, but I would be hesitant to spend $60-$100 on parts for a $300 mandolin. If you are going to swap them out, I'd recommend Rubner tuners. They have several models that are in the $70 range and they are very well made.
    https://www.rubnertuners.com/hauser-...lin%20Machines

Also, the fret markers in the fingerboard are tiny and do not contrast well enough with the fingerboard to be useful. The side dots are easy to recognize.

On the plus side, the bridge feet were mated very well to the top. Frets are all level and well shaped.

I think if they went to a carved top, this could be not just a decent instrument, but a good one. It also would probably save them money and liven up the tone if they used 1/2-1/3 lacquer. The current finish depth makes for a nice shine, but is way over sprayed.

Blog Entries

It is a shame to see Breedlove fighting for sales in this end of the market...they really did make some beautifully built, great sounding instruments with a distinctive style. Possibly too distinctive for many, but I was always impressed by them. My 'road' guitar is a prototype dreadnought built by Kim Breedlove. It's truly excellent and holds its own with a 1950 D-28....
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

I've resuscitated this thread because there are some Breedlove Crossover FF styles still for sale here in UK. What happened in the end - did B. stop mando production, and did they end up making decent instruments of this model in China before that happened? If so, would these Breedloves be comparable to say an Eastman 305 or Kentucky 250 series? I ask cos I like the idea of a wider than normal fingerboard.

Thanks, Max

Quote Originally Posted by maxr View Post
    I've resuscitated this thread because there are some Breedlove Crossover FF styles still for sale here in UK. What happened in the end - did B. stop mando production, and did they end up making decent instruments of this model in China before that happened? If so, would these Breedloves be comparable to say an Eastman 305 or Kentucky 250 series? I ask cos I like the idea of a wider than normal fingerboard.

Thanks, Max
    That's right Max. They stopped making USA made models back in 2016 or thereabouts. Then all production was shipped offshore. Colorado_al pretty much nailed it. The Eastman 305 is a far better built instrument than the CrossOver OF model. Carved versus pressed top. Graduations and curvature of the back and front plates are closer to original Gibson equivalent model. I am quite impressed with an Eastman 505 with large frets. I also have a USA-made Breedlove FF mandolin, tomy ears it is like a Collings MT and plays as smooth as silk in fact better than aCollings MT right up the neck despite the polyurethane finish. It is great for Jazz and Celtic. Very clean sound and a low action with little buzzing. The fretwork is amazing.
    Last edited by Nick Gellie; Jan-02-2021 at 9:42am.
    Nic Gellie

Thanks Nic. These UK Breedloves are almost certainly Chinese production (I'll check), if so I'll forget about that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Thanks for the review. I'd like to play one.
    Clarification: All Breedlove mandolin production has been moved to China. No longer made in Bend, OR.
    That’s a deal-killer for me.

Just to clarify - I'm a great fan of the better Chinese made fiddles, guitars, etc. and own several. When they're right, they're unbeatable value - but when they get it wrong, it's just painful. That's why I'm passing on this occasion.