Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is anyone else watching this interesting Regal?

Default Re: Is anyone else watching this interesting Regal?

That's a real beauty, Allen!

2. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    It's the Eastman DGM-2; I bought one at Bernunzio's, and it's a real nice mandolin.
    No doubt many of you have seen the original. I have played one of the Eastman versions and they did an excellent job making a nice copy.

Mine has the tone somewhere between a Gibson oval hole and a Lyon & Healy artist.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bacon_ftbk.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	260.1 KB 
ID:	145230  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kammerzell View Post
    Amazing. Over $625.00 with the shipping. I wouldn't have thought that.
    Hi
    New member here and sorry to bring back an old post but I have a few questions.... I recently purchased a Regal mandolin exactly like this, except the one I bought has solid flamed maple back and sides with a spruce top, and is in amazing almost mint condition with its original case in equal condition. Is this an "Ultra Grand" model ? Was $625 the final selling price for this one, and fair market value today ? Were these all made by Regal ? Mine has the Regal with "Custom Built" on the label, does that indicate a special order ? Any and all information is greatly appreciated !
    All the best
    Jimmy

Post some pics of yours. I have a reverse scroll Regal Ultra Grand but they had two points as well. Here's mine:

Name:	regalUG_frontback.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	416.5 KB 
ID:	200471   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	regalUG_headstockfront.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	200472  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Post some pics of yours. I have a reverse scroll Regal Ultra Grand but they had two points as well. Here's mine:
    This one does not say anything on the headstock but has the Regal label inside. I saw one like you refer to with the two points, and it looked exactly like mine but said "Ultra Grand" like yours. My headstock is blank? I will post some pictures asa I figure out how to....
    Thanks for your reply !

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Two-point Papa S Model.

Mick

Name:	Two Point.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	200480  
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyRayKing View Post
    Mine has the Regal with "Custom Built" on the label, does that indicate a special order ?
    I think the standard Regal label says "Custom Built". Here's the one from my Ultra Grand reverse scroll.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	regalUG_label.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	200481
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Name:	Mando5.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	200484Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mando2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	200485Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mando3.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	200486Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mando4.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	200487

Ok Hopefully these pictures load So my label seems exactly like yours Jim, so I guess its the standard Regal logo for a "two point Papa Smurf" lol. I am going to be listing this here in the classifieds b4 it goes to online auction, if anyone is interested. Thanks for your comments, I do appreciate your time and efforts on my behalf !
    JRK
    Last edited by JimmyRayKing; Apr-08-2022 at 4:00pm.

Is there an embossed mark on the case bottom? I ask because it is a wonderful case and may have been made for a different mandolin type. Beautiful mandolin- I have the two point custom from 1939 but it does not have that long extension to the fingerboard and is rosewood- whereas your mandolin is maple but it does have the same label- the old 1939 advertisement posted a long time back shows one. My mandolin is in a G & S case that is from the 20s but fits it like a glove but it is a case that will fit an A model mandolin with the cloud tailpiece which I already had and it was a good match. You have not shown the tuners- are they Kluson items?

Name:	Mando1.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	200488 Here's a shot of the pearl button open back tuners , pretty sure they are original and possibly Kluson? And yes the case does have an embossed mark on the bottom ! You learn something new everyday Its also in really nice shape too, especially considering its age. Any more details on the case ? Is it the equivalent of the 1959 Gibson Les Paul Lifton " Cali Girl " case ?

My UltraGrand has the original HSC. I will post some pics and the stamp assuming there is one.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Those Kluson tuners date it to the very late 1930s. I just wonder if it is a case for another style of mandolin but was sold for use with this mandolin. On that basis, it might make monetary sense to sell the case separately if it is- but that's your choice- you can buy a modern case for the Regal but that gap when your mandolin is in ite suggests a different shaped mandolin- but you may never be able to ascertain which model. Let us know what the embossed maker's mark says. It will be Geib ( G & S) or Bulls Head most likely- the shape of the lid possibly suggests the latter.

Name:	Mando Case 1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	200495[/ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mando Case 3.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	200497Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loar Mando Case.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	329.7 KB 
ID:	200498

Hey Nick thanks so much for your help ! Here are some pictures of the case and embossed logo. If you look closely, you can see the logo says Geib. After a little research it appears to be the exact same case that a $140,000 Gibson Loar signed F5 mandolin came with, so it probably is the mandolin equivalent of the 1959 Gibson Les Paul Lifton " Cali Girl " case !

Name:	Mando Case 2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	200496  
    Last edited by JimmyRayKing; Apr-09-2022 at 10:46am.

I doubt it. The cases that Loar F-5s came in go for a couple of thousand dollars. I think your case was made for all Ultragrands and is the same as mine. None of these mandolins are super collectible but are more cool oddballs. So don’t expect to get $2000-3000 (as you mentioned for the Les Paul case) for this case. I am guessing it is original to the mandolin.

Here are pics of my case which is also stamped Geib but very hard to read and even harder to photograph.

Name:	regalUG_casetop.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	200501   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	regalUG_casebottom.jpg 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	200502   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	regalUG_casebrand.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	200500  

Name:	regalUG_casedet02.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	200504   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	regalUG_casedet03.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	200499   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	regalUG_casedet01.jpg 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	200503  

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Geib Inc replaced the name Geib & Schaeffer ( G & S) in 1937. If it is Geib Inc embossed then this shows the mandolin to be concurrent with the mandolin itself and as Jim Garber suggests is original to the mandolin. Whether it is a type that fitted other mandolins- and more importantly as far as its value- other premium mandolins, I don't know. It may well be a shape that fits the Kay made "Venetian" style mandolin shape which is asymmetrical and needs extra space on one side- the side where there is that gap when your mandolin is in the case. I have a 1939 Kay mandolin which I keep in an early 1920s Gibson F4 case and I would split them up if I sold the mandolin. I have seen an original case that fits the Kay shape but I don't think I kept any photos although I did post them up on the vintage case Facebook page.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I doubt it. The cases that Loar F-5s came in go for a couple of thousand dollars. I think your case was made for all Ultragrands and is the same as mine. None of these mandolins are super collectible but are more cool oddballs. So don’t expect to get $2000-3000 (as you mentioned for the Les Paul case) for this case. I am guessing it is original to the mandolin.

Here are pics of my case which is also stamped Geib but very hard to read and even harder to photograph.
    Hi Jim
    Thanks again for your knowledge and input ! I don't think I mentioned a value for the case, and as you probably saw I included a smile and wink after the statement. I am a guitar player and not a Mandolin player so this needs to go to someone who can play and appreciate it. The case would be a bonus as most Ive seen with the Regal's were chipboard/cardboard. I will be posting them both for sale soon....
    Cheers

I actually did save one photo. As I wrote above, I don't know if your mandolin case was designed to fit the Venetian and dealers were able to match up the various Regal Custom mandolins with the existing range of cases they had. As I mentioned, mine is in a G & S case that I already had that was made in the 1920s. Here is the Kay Kraft mandolin in its case. While the auction progressed, the seller said she had been told by somebody out there in eBayland it was a very valuable F5 case. I told her it definitely was not and was the Venetian case- pretty rare but not nearly as valuable. There was somebody determined to win the auction for some sentimental reason it seems and it sold for way more than I would ever have predicted as it was the bottom end model of three that were made circa 1933 or so.

Name:	Venetian KK In Case.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	200507

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    Geib Inc replaced the name Geib & Schaeffer ( G & S) in 1937. If it is Geib Inc embossed then this shows the mandolin to be concurrent with the mandolin itself and as Jim Garber suggests is original to the mandolin. Whether it is a type that fitted other mandolins- and more importantly as far as its value- other premium mandolins, I don't know. It may well be a shape that fits the Kay made "Venetian" style mandolin shape which is asymmetrical and needs extra space on one side- the side where there is that gap when your mandolin is in the case. I have a 1939 Kay mandolin which I keep in an early 1920s Gibson F4 case and I would split them up if I sold the mandolin. I have seen an original case that fits the Kay shape but I don't think I kept any photos although I did post them up on the vintage case Facebook page.

Views:	43 
ID:	200506 Does this look like the same case to you ? If so is it safe to assume that even if it didn't come with a Loar that it will fit the Gibson F4 and F5 Mandolins ? Were the Gibson F style still being made in the late 30s? Would this be the correct case for one of those then ?
    Thanks again your time and help is greatly appreciated. As I mentioned I will be putting this up for sale soon and want to be as accurate in the description and fair in pricing as I can be...
    All the best
    Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyRayKing View Post

ID:	200506 Does this look like the same case to you ? If so is it safe to assume that even if it didn't come with a Loar that it will fit the Gibson F4 and F5 Mandolins ? Were the Gibson F style still being made in the late 30s? Would this be the correct case for one of those then ?
    Thanks again your time and help is greatly appreciated. As I mentioned I will be putting this up for sale soon and want to be as accurate in the description and fair in pricing as I can be...
    All the best
    Jimmy
    I don't think this is the same case thought it could be also made by Geib. Mine has an extra point for the treble side and the F-5 case has a rounded bass side vs. a much smaller small bass lump for the Regal case. I don't have a Loar F-5 or any copy to try in this case. I do have a Kay Florentine and that will not fit in this case at all. And here is a modern F-5 case next to my Regal case.

Regal was a large company and probably ordered a bunch of custom cases for this model. I don't know of any other maker's mandolin will fit in it.

Name:	regalUG_incase.jpg 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	200508 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compare_regal_f5case.jpg 
Size:	289.2 KB 
ID:	200509
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

BTW there was this thread started in 2010 with lots of additional info on the Regal carved top mandolins: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...al-Ultra-Grand

You will see that the two pointers similar to JimmyRayKing's have the same case with the extra space that I am not even more convinced were used for all models of this series.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: