Thread: Partita No2 for solo violin Gigue in Dm JS Bach on mandolin

Default Partita No2 for solo violin Gigue in Dm JS Bach on mandolin

I was playing some Bach on my mandolin in my kitchen last night and I recorded this piece.

https://soundcloud.com/gina-le-faux/...in-or-mandolin

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gina Le Faux For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Partita No2 for solo violin Gigue in Dm JS Bach on mandolin

Really nice job!

4. The following members say thank you to Scot63 for this post:

Well done, Gina. Not an easy piece.

6. The following members say thank you to Rob MacKillop for this post:

very very well done.... i have worked on this piece for some time, and still don't have it as fluid for it's entirety as you have... nicely done, indeed

You might check the score as there are a few areas where I believe you have different notes going on....
    John D

8. The following members say thank you to JFDilmando for this post:

Thank you. I've not been through the music for a while and I think there are a few lines I need to work on.

Thank you Rob. I played it on my old Gibson F2 mandolin rather than my baroque Neapolitan mandolin but the next piece of Bach I record will be on my Baroque mandolin.

I've been playing a lot of Oswald and I'm going to transfer some of the pieces onto my 6 course baroque mandolino and see how they sound, might sound good with a lute too Rob :-)

Hi Gina. I bet they will, especially with you playing them :-)

Have you seen that John Goodin's edition of the 18 duets for "two mandelins" by Oswald has just been released by Mel Bay publications? It's on the Mel Bay website.

I'd like to hear Oswald's solo guittar pieces on a baroque mandolin, so if it works out, do please make a video.

Hi Rob, We're just looking for the book now, I didn't know about it until you mentioned it, thanks for the information. I've been playing through some Barsanti arrangements of Scottish tunes, some are almost identical to Oswald's pieces and I'm always on the hunt for anything by or arranged by Oswald. Next time I record I'll cut my nails too :-)

14. The following members say thank you to Gina Le Faux for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gina Le Faux View Post
    Hi Rob, We're just looking for the book now, I didn't know about it until you mentioned it, thanks for the information. I've been playing through some Barsanti arrangements of Scottish tunes, some are almost identical to Oswald's pieces and I'm always on the hunt for anything by or arranged by Oswald. Next time I record I'll cut my nails too :-)
    Gina -- you may already have this link to John Goodin's Oswald transcriptions -- it's all great stuff, and the Bates duettinos are nice as well:

http://www.mandotopia.com/mandolinPD1.htm

There are several more Oswald pieces included in Eric Allan's arrangements of Scottish tunes:

http://www.ericallanscottishmusic.co...?pageid=375185

Martin

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Thank you Martin. I'll check the links out. Gina

Here's a direct link to the Mel Bay edition of the Oswald duets. You can order the book, or download the eBook. If you live in the UK, you can order it through Music Sales, as I have done. Still waiting for it to arrive - John tells me I get a mention in the introduction, which I'm excited about.

http://www.melbay.com/Products/30537...-mandolin.aspx

19. The following members say thank you to Rob MacKillop for this post:

Thank you Rob. Congratulations on your mention in the book :-)
    Gina

21. The following members say thank you to Gina Le Faux for this post:

Gina & Rob, there's a bit of confusion here about the Oswald book. What Mel Bay has just published is what I hope are mandolin-friendly versions of Oswald's 12 Divertimentos, originally for solo "guittar". These are the pieces that Rob so beautifully recorded on an authentic 18th-century guittar and released on CD back in 2001.

You can find my transcriptions of the 18 duets for guittar on my website at the link that Martin provides but the new Mel Bay book consists of the 12 solo divertimenti in a variety of keys (they were originally all in C major) with mandolin tablature. I know this is a bit presumptuous of me but I figure that part of Oswald's goal was to make these pieces approachable to students, so I moved things around to keep the music mostly in first position. I also edited out many of the double-stops that I presume are easier to execute on the guittar but tricky on the modern mandolin.

I'm a big fan of Oswald's music in general. I especially enjoy playing around with the dozens of Airs for the Seasons that I found online years ago. I would include that link here but I can't find it now.

When I work with Oswald's music I get the feeling that he wasn't trying to compete with Bach, Handel, Telemann, etc., he just seems to have his own voice. He's a real inspiration to me that way.

Back to the thread: this Gigue is one of my favorite bits of the solo Bach violin music also. I applaud your performance of it.

John G.

Thanks for the clarification, John. I knew all that, but my brain got in a muddle. Sorry about that! I have your Oswald on order.

Hi John, Thank you. Thanks for the information, I'm a big fan of Oswald's music too and I play the pieces on baroque violin, mandolin and also on my 6 course baroque mandolino. I'm always on the lookout for interesting music that will work on the mandolin. Gina

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I like the cool string bending bits
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world