Thread: Tried to Find a Bandurria

Default Tried to Find a Bandurria

Well, I'm in Manila right now, and went to a few local music stores looking to find a bandurria. I only found one, and it was pure junk.

Does anyone here play one? Do you find it to be a useful addition to a mandolin? I'm not real familiar with them, but they are popular on certain Philippine folk songs.

Just looking for input from the group if I should continue my search while I'm here or just give up on the idea.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

2. The following members say thank you to Austin Bob for this post:

Default Re: Tried to Find a Bandurria

Keep looking, see if you can find a "rondalla" ensemble listed in the phone book or something - they play the bandurria and other similar stringed instruments.

However, even on the instruments I've seen, the build quality seems to lean more towards "traditional" and "folkloric" than to the current very high standards of modern mandolin making.

Was that instrument really junk in that it did not play easily and in tune, or was it just a low end bandurria?

Did you try these guys?

https://www.facebook.com/sainienterp...type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/sainienterprisesphilippines/

Saini Enterprises

4087 Ramon Magsaysay Blvd. Sta Mesa
    Manila,
    +63 2 714 7370

Best of luck

Also try:

http://jayars.tripod.com/index.html

The UPA&F Rondalla Homepage
    was created on October 22, 1995
    and is maintained by
    J. Sonny Santos©1995
    jayars3@hotmail.com
    jayars@msn.com

Maybe they can help

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Keep looking, see if you can find a "rondalla" ensemble listed in the phone book or something - they play the bandurria and other similar stringed instruments.

However, even on the instruments I've seen, the build quality seems to lean more towards "traditional" and "folkloric" than to the current very high standards of modern mandolin making.

Was that instrument really junk in that it did not play easily and in tune, or was it just a low end bandurria?

Did you try these guys?

https://www.facebook.com/sainienterprisesphilippines/

Saini Enterprises

4087 Ramon Magsaysay Blvd. Sta Mesa
    Manila,
    +63 2 714 7370

Best of luck
    Thanks, I'm not too far from there, I'll try to swing by. Monday is a holiday due to the election, and we're leaving for another island on Tuesday, so I may be out of time.

Bob
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

6. The following members say thank you to Austin Bob for this post:

I play bandurria, it is popular in Spain, some countries in Latin America, and Phlilippine

there is a luthier in Los Angeles named German Vasquez. Tel. 1 323 934 0647

APC makes quality instruments for the price, and I believe they make a bandurria. Go to folkreps.com and check it out.

The Philippine bandurria is different from the Spanish bandurria. (I'm sure most people know that, just thought it might be useful to some.)

I actually didn't know that, but I always like to learn something new.

Try Todaros Music at worldfrets.com. These are not listed on their site, but they have lots of instruments that are not on the list. Joe Todaro brings in stringed instruments from around the world. He is really knowledgeable and great about sharing information. I recommend you give the shop a call and ask for Joe. He may have just what you are looking for. I have recommended his shop quite a few times here on the Cafe but to be clear, I have NFI. Here is their number: 610-623-3555.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

I think he wants to buy one while he is in Manila. I bought my charango from Joe at the Philadelphia Guitar show many years ago. He is a good source for these world music instruments.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I think he wants to buy one while he is in Manila.
    Sorry, Jim. I thought he was only in Manilla for a brief stay (post 4), but I sure don't know. Probably worth mentioning Joe as a source for people doing a search in the future, anyway. As you point out, Joe is a good source for world instruments. I really like going to his shop and looking around. Always interesting things to see. It's an added benefit that he's a great guy to speak with.

I hope you have enjoyed your charango!

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Yes, Joe went to Bolivia and met and picked out the luthiers there and it was good to find a selection of them in one place. Mine is i pretty good shape. After some time acclimating to weather conditions here in the US the frets ends started to stick out so I had my luthier deal with it and it plays nicely. The big problem with charangos is that with all the tuners they are head-heavy.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1