Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is it that defines a mandolin?

Default What is it that defines a mandolin?

I'm curious about what it is that defines and instrument as a "mandolin." I always thought it was that it was an instrument which had 4 pairs of strings, each pair tuned in unison and the 4 pairs tuned to match the 4 strings on a violin.

Which makes me wonder if a 4-string electric instrument can truly be called a mandolin.

So am I mistaken and is the real definition of "mandolin" simply any instrument with frets and is tuned like a violin?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhbailey For This Useful Post:

Default Re: What is it that defines a mandolin?

Not sure about that one but one of my favorite definitions about things musical is from Kieth Richards is how you define a guitar player is, 3 strings, 2 fingers and 1 ####### (read as jerk). Sorry for stupid post
    Lou (Ex guitar player)
    Last edited by JEStanek; May-11-2016 at 7:57am. Reason: No profanity

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loubrava For This Useful Post:

We've had this debate a few thousand times.

In Italy, a variety of instruments have gone by the name mandolino, with varying numbers of strings, different tunings, and strings not always paired. The Neapolitan 8-string instrument did not become the standard until the 19th century.

Today, of course, there are some Italians who swear that an instrument isn't a proper mandolin if it doesn't have a canted soundboard and a bowl-shaped back made out of staves. Which is ridiculous, I mean, who do those Italians think they are? It's not like they invented the thing.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

The whole question is worthy of a book-length discussion. Fortunately, one exists: http://www.amazon.com/Mandolin-Histo...2925813&sr=8-1

I helped with the funding for this book and I still need to finish reading it!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

I think the best definition is "a plucked instrument approximately violin-scale and tuned in fifths". That allows in my 5- and 10-string instruments as well as the large number of electric 4-stringers. It excludes 5- or 10-string instruments that are longer-scale.

A violin-scale instrument has a level of facility because of the small reaches that is heard in the kinds of playing that are comfortable and/or possible. We usually hear a certain class of chord voicings and a certain style of melodic playing. It is a picked violin as much as anything, and I think the doubled strings are a mechanical advantage for power but not inherently for sound. Because it is possible to tune it very carefully and pick it precisely the extra strings are not always heard.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Ah, but you're leaving out the baroque, Venetian and Lombard mandolinos, none of which are tuned in fifths.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Ah, but you're leaving out the baroque, Venetian and Lombard mandolinos, none of which are tuned in fifths.

I think if you answer the question, "What is the definition of 'mandolin' throughout all of time," then that answer has to be qualified up one side and down the other. If the question is "What defines a modern mandolin in America?" that answer is easier and probably more useful.

BTW, If I remember correctly from my harpsichord days, the pairing of a string raises the volume by 3 db...which is double.

A dictionary ?
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Quote Originally Posted by pointpergame View Post
    If the question is "What defines a modern mandolin in America?" that answer is easier and probably more useful.
    People still play and compose music for the baroque mandolino, even in America. But anyway, why the heck should any definition be confined to America?

I know a lot of people think U Srinivas wasn't really a mandolin player, but i would have liked to see one of them try to tell him so.

I was mulling over exactly the same question as the OP yesterday in response to the photo of the 5 string Elec.mandolin on the home page of the Cafe. To me,it's a similar thing to the names given to the 3 different banjo 'variants'.
    From what we've been told,the actual 5th string was 'supposedly' added by Joel Sweeney,so the 'original' banjo which was a development of the 3 stringed ''Gourd banjo' had 4 strings ?.
    So,if we're really pedantic about it,the 'banjo proper' is a 4 stringed instrument & the 5 string banjo is a 'variation'. But - that's not how it's currently viewed. The banjo in it's 5-string form,has become the banjo,& the 4 stringed 'Plectrum' banjo & 'Tenor' banjo are 'variations'. The Plectrum banjo is like the 5 string banjo less the 5th string & is tuned the same,but even that's changed. 'Proper' banjo tuning is G 5th / C / G / B / D. However,it became desirable to use an open G tuning for some reason,so the 4th string was tuned up to D. Whether it was the 'country folks' that came up with that i don't know,but it's standard Bluegrass tuning (we won't go into the other 100 or so banjo tunings). The Tenor banjo is a reall odd-ball. Short scale, & not even tuned as a banjo 'should be'. It's tuned in 5ths as per a mandolin,so it could be argued that the Tenor banjo is a 'mandolin banjo'. There's as much an argument for it being a 'mandolin banjo' as there is for it being a banjo (IMHO).
    So - looking at the ''banjo mix-up'',why do we question 4 or 5 string mandolins ?. I suppose that it's because we view the mandolin as we know it as essentially an instrument with 4 courses of 2 strings = 8 strings. There's no reason not to have 4 or 5 strings,but personally,i like the 'full house'. For me,i like the twin sound of the paired strings - but other folk will like 'something else',as it should be,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

It's simple. A mandolin is what a mandolinist plays.

15. The following members say thank you to wooq for this post:

G7MOF 

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    I think the best definition is "a plucked instrument approximately violin-scale and tuned in fifths".
    So if I tune my mandolin to fourths, is it no longer a mandolin?

Are we down to, " I can't define it, but I know one when I see one"?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    I was mulling over exactly the same question as the OP yesterday in response to the photo of the 5 string Elec.mandolin on the home page of the Cafe. To me,it's a similar thing to the names given to the 3 different banjo 'variants'.
    Only 3? You're overlooking the mandolin banjo, the banjo ukulele, the cello banjo, the guitar banjo, the banjeaurine...

A stringed instrument having a case ideally sized for a sleeping cat and a price tag ideally sized for initiating an argument with one's spouse.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lukmanohnz For This Useful Post:

What defines a mandolin ?

This:

basic parts of a mandolin (strap button not needed)

originally bowlbacked, also made with flat and carved backs and tops.

22. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

isn't the pick guard also optional?
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

It is an instrument that hundreds, sometimes thousands of devotees at a time abandon in a corner of the room while they spend hours on the Web talking about how they couldn't possibly live without it.

25. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

The Violin Pitch set, in a fretted string instrument?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Double stop tremolo.

OK: Think about a specific mandolin -- maybe, something you own. Or maybe a Gibson F5 Loar, or an Embergher classical bowlback.

If you changed the tuning from strict fifths, would it still be a mandolin?
    (most folks would probably say "yes")

If you removed the pickguard (assuming it has one), would it still be a mandolin?

If it had single courses, rather than double courses, would it still be a mandolin?

If it had five courses, tuned CGDAE, rather than four courses tuned GDAE, would it still be a mandolin?

If you electrified it, with a pickup, would it still be a mandolin?

If you replaced the floating bridge with a fixed one, and got rid of the tailpiece, would it still be a mandolin?

If you lengthened the scale from 13-7/8" to 14-7/8", but kept it tuned to GDAE, would it still be a mandolin?

If you played it with bare fingers and not a pick, or with fingerpicks, would it still be a mandolin?

If you removed the frets and picked it fretless, would it still be a mandolin?

My point, here?! No single trait makes a mandolin a mandolin. It's a whole bunch of traits, and furthermore, you can probably change any single one, or even several, of these traits and yet still have something that most folks would consider to be a mandolin!

That said, at some point, the modified instrument begins to look more like something else in the mandolin family, or perhaps an instrument with another name altogether. If you change both the tuning AND the scale length, you can get a mandola, mandolinetto, mandocello, octave mandolin, and so on. So yes, scale length matters along with tuning, but these are not hard-and-fast rules. If you replace the wooden top with a stretched membrane, then arguably you have a banjolin (mandolin banjo). If you made it fretless and played it with a bow, maybe you have something that more closely resembles a violin! It doesn't take much to change a tenor guitar into an octave mandolin with 4 strings.

In truth, there are no strict "rules" that define an instrument. There are general groups of traits. Furthermore, all instruments tend to evolve, and the instrument of today may not resemble so closely one from a long time ago. Two of Antonio Stradivari's mandolins survive to this day, but they sure don't look anything like a Gibson or Embergher. Nor do they sound like one. When Orville Gibson, followed by Lloyd Loar, got rid of the bowlback and canted top, and instead went with a carved top and back, elevated the fretboard above the body, changed from a round soundhole to f-holes, floated the pickguard, introduced an adjustable-height bridge, lengthened the scale to 13-7/8", added a scroll and points, and a bunch more -- did they call the instrument something else? No! It was still called a "mandolin."

A mandolin is what a mandolin does. Stop trying to define it, and just enjoy it, I say. You might was well try to define "love."

P.S. Biologists have this same problem when trying to define a "species" over the course of evolution. A working definition that seems to make good sense over a comparatively short period of time fails over a longer one, because species continually evolve, and with it, their characteristic properties. So too, with musical instruments.
    Last edited by sblock; May-11-2016 at 2:01pm.

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I have run into a problem explaining what kind of instrument I play and what role it serves. When I say it is a mandolin, people expect either bluegrass or Italian sounds. I've considered calling it an alto guitar, as I use it much more as a guitar, in playing style and what chords, bass lines, and accompanying figures I employ.

10-string soprano guitar?
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

A mandolin is a parasitic organism which modifies our brain chemistry to result in obsessive behavior. It draws its energy from metabolizing any disposable income brought in by the afflicted, and requires a geometrically increasing supply of cash as the affliction progresses.
    There are approximately 5 million people suffering from this malady every day in America, and yet it is not considered a valid medical expense under any known health care plans or tax legislation.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

Since the mandolin is continuing to evolve, so must the definition. There was no such thing as an acoustic guitar until Les Paul invented the electric guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by JH Murray View Post
    There was no such thing as an acoustic guitar until Les Paul invented the electric guitar.
    "Who invented the electric guitar?" is an even more contentious question than "What defines a mandolin?"...

35. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post: