Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Owners of a NorthField Big Mon (did you compare to the F5S also)?

Default Owners of a NorthField Big Mon (did you compare to the F5S also)?

i have a NF F5S recently acquired and i really like this mandolin a lot- more than any mando to date.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...S-in-the-house

tejonstreetmusic just got in a wide nut Big Mon and i like how it looks, and how it sounds. typically not into bling or additions of pretty, but i like the back, neck and headstock binding, and the headstock inlay on this Big Mon.
    http://www.tejonstreetmusic.com/p/no...de-nut-160025/

i will have to ship it in for the hands on which is the one true test, and if i keep it, i will have to sell the F5S to fund this move.

any owners out there care to comment on your Big Mon and if you owned or compared it to the standard NF F5S?
    is/was there a significant difference, a mild difference(or any difference at all)-talking about tone/sound only.

this particular Big Mon could be "the one" that ends my MAS................................
    really, it could be.

life is short,
    d
    Last edited by darylcrisp; May-11-2016 at 8:12pm.

Default Re: Owners of a NorthField Big Mon (did you compare to the F5S al

Honestly, I like the looks of the one you already have more than that new one.
    I think it is absolutely beautiful, but I like simple decoration better than extra fluff.
    Even the shot of the nut shows the level of attention to detail.
    I am looking at all the available options for upgrading my Mandolin, and the Northfields are at the top of my list.
    I will be very interested in hearing your comparison in terms of sound.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

3. The following members say thank you to CWRoyds for this post:

CW
    i agree in more ways than one with your thoughts. i've never been one for adornments and typically want a very basic look.
    its probably one of those midlife crisis moments i'm having.

i really, REALLY, like the F5 i have. there is no explanation for my actions tonite other than having one of those "moments".
    i've learned if i wait long enough it usually passes.

there is something that pulls me hard and fast to that Big Mon...............
    must resist.............

d

Daryl, you seem to have a midlife crisis ever few months, bro.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Josh Levine For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JWalterWeatherman View Post
    Daryl, you seem to have a midlife crisis ever few months, bro.
    i've learned if i wait long enough the urge passes.
    still want to know more about the Big Mon, i've always been fascinated with the design. seems most owners really like them. really want to get my hands on one to compare to with my F5S.

in the end, mandolin trading is cheaper than a girlfriend+divorce, nondamaging to ones family, clean fun/longer lasting fulfillment, and every now and then you might break even(but not always)

d

8. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

I know the feeling D. Last few Northfields I have seen have been great. I've had my eye on a backup to my Ellis, (even though I have a few already) fortunately (or not?) the finances haven't agreed with that impulse.

10. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post:

Daryl....you posted this great video to tempt us...but I see how thats backfired and you've come down with a serious case of MAS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOupTVnjnEM

Seriously, jump on a plane out of VA to Colorado Springs and go visit Tejon. The shop is about 20 minutes from the airport and you can be back home that same evening. I may come up just to watch your torment .

12. The following members say thank you to Al Trujillo for this post:

so driving home, my thoughts were on this whole "mid life crisis" concept. its a real thing for sure, happens to upstanding honest men and women daily. the runoff from the choices folks make can really mess up those "upstanding" and "honest" words just typed.
    but in the grand scheme of things, lets contemplate ourselves, our lives, and expose the realities of going thru one of these so called "mid" "life" "crises"(plural intention because some folks don't learn the first time).

first, let me state clearly, this is all in fun and I very much love my wife and family. I will honestly state I have never been tempted since married, to have or access a mistress.(loading the dogs and cats up and driving off alone in the sunset has crossed the mind once or twice in a moment of frustration-I think we all honestly can say that..........)

so, here you are, simple man(for all purposes, all ladies on the forum just gender reverse this event), living simple life, daily responsibilities. you work, you go home-do more work(things break, things need mowing, upkeep, etc). hopefully enjoy your meals. hopefully enjoy some heathly type of movement to exercise and distress, and enjoy your family.

you find music! maybe start with guitar, but at some point you move into the world of...............The Mandolin.

This can be a life changing moment for some of us-truly!

so, mid life is happening, you look around and see your friend or someone you know hitting the wall, buying the 1/4" flat gold chain with requisite Red Corvette(insert auto of choice). the young darling half his age creates feelings of once ago that maybe are gone. the scenario takes a few months to maybe a year to play out, then the whole thing plummets down the drain. gold chain is gone, corvette repossessed, wife and family gone, job probably gets removed. suddenly the man finds nothing but lonely as a companion with nowhere to call home. girl friend is long gone.

all of this could have been avoided if the man had bought a mandolin!

take a piece of paper and make two columns. one is listed "mandolin", the other "girlfriend/divorce"

1)you can buy another mandolin and the wife may not notice. you might even store the new mando in its case and keep it out of sight(under the bed, in a closet). not so much that you are doing anything wrong, you just don't want to explain why you went weak and picked another one up. you figure you will play it a while, decide whether to keep it, if so, you can gingerly introduce it to the family and move it into the household with the other instruments. if you find out you don't like it so much, you sell or trade it. if you sell it or trade it and come out ahead, even take the family out for dinner and a movie.

**now, imagine rather than a mandolin you go find a girlfriend. i doubt you can keep this hid if you bring the girlfriend in the house. its not like you can keep the GF in a case under the bed or in the closet. I just don't see how you could keep that hid and for a long period of time. you probably can't sell or trade the girlfriend-that just doesn't work out well. forget about introducing her to the family and expecting her to 'blend in'.

2)so you've purchased another mandolin. some of us have "house rules" such as, "one comes in, one goes out". some of us don't. but say you pick up a really neat mandolin. you keep one after many buys/sales/trades, and it stays in the family. for years and years you will enjoy it, it will bring beautiful music in your life and even after you are gone, hopefully a family heir will inherit and use the mandolin for more music and good moments. this could be 40 years or more after you've acquired it.

**now lets say you do get the "mid life crisis girlfriend" and over time she is excepted by the family. its doubtful anyone in the family-other than you, will think she makes beautiful music. after you are gone, nobody is probably going to want to inherit her-imagine 40 years down the road, you are gone, the estate is being settled and the girlfriend has aged. the aging process is going to be a lot worse than a mandolin would go thru-even a heavily used mandolin, more than likely. 50 years after you've gone, a mandolin can still be a family heirloom. 50 years after you've gone, a girlfriend will need her diaper changed and someone will need to be making rice pudding for the next meal. I think most family members will vote for the mandolin.

3)cost of operation.
    you buy a decent built mandolin, take care of it humidity wise, keep check on the neck off and on, and other than strings(at times) or a setup every few years, that's about it.

**girlfriend is going to need daily food, drink, going out, being entertained, clothes(at times), shoes, medical attention. the costs will be exorbitant-and that's only the first 5 years.

i think you get the picture.............................

so if you are looking at another mandolin, you might be saving your future, your family, your values, your marriage, your job, your morality, and your $. yes, buying another mandolin might actually save you $. bet you never thought of it that way.

d

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Al Trujillo View Post
    Daryl....you posted this great video to tempt us...but I see how thats backfired and you've come down with a serious case of MAS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOupTVnjnEM

Seriously, jump on a plane out of VA to Colorado Springs and go visit Tejon. The shop is about 20 minutes from the airport and you can be back home that same evening. I may come up just to watch your torment .
    backfired and hit me in the head-twice!
    d

14. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

Makes sense to me Daryl, go for it! (the mandolin, not the gf...it doesn't work...).

I never thought I'd buy another mandolin after my Flatbush, but I LOVE my Kelley. I still have the Flatbush but it's barely getting out of the case at this point. Might be time to list it. Never ever thought I'd give that thing up...
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Well, between us....I slept with my mandolin for a week after I bought it.

Dang it...I had to look 'Big Mon' up on You Tube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqSGfEzGX8c

Those Northfields are something. The first two in this video have larger F-holes. Do those come only on custom orders?
    Last edited by Al Trujillo; May-12-2016 at 8:31am.

Ha...my hubby and I are both grateful that our respective habits are fly-fishing and mandolins and not drugs, alcohol, woodworking, or classic car restoration...

I am extremely lucky in that I am satisfied with my NF5M. I didn't get the Big Mon style and might have picked up an S if they had been available to try at the time I was looking for one.

I think it's great you get to try all these different mandos, I sure love seeing and hearing about them. As long as it's not causing martial strife go for it, it makes you happy...happy wife, happy life works both ways...

Heck, if there is a approval/return option then this is a no-brainier...go for it. Your Collings or S will sell and both have pretty much kept their value so in the end it really doesn't cost much...
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Daryl - I shall henceforth refers to MAS by its new name - 'Daryl's Syndrome'

Seriously though - try to have both mandolins in hand and do a thorough comparison before deciding. Would hate to see you let the wrong one go. Good luck!

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clement Barrera-Ng For This Useful Post:

redemption.

its all explained, post 13
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...-Sound-Better-)

d

Quote Originally Posted by Clement Barrera-Ng View Post
    Daryl - I shall henceforth refers to MAS by its new name - 'Daryl's Syndrome'

Seriously though - try to have both mandolins in hand and do a thorough comparison before deciding. Would hate to see you let the wrong one go. Good luck!
    oh no, I have my own disease process!!
    excellent advice-as always C. I had planned to ship it in and have hands on with both-because I really dig the F5S that I have. but I'm over it and moving on feeling good. whew, that was a close one(I had two high potential buyers this morn for the NF).

d

on another note, that Big Mon has a "big clean sound", they have a soundclip, contact Tejonstreet or PM me your email and I can forward it to you. its got the full package.

good luck and if anyone takes it home, let us know whatcha think
    d

** I'm still interested what Big Mon owners have to say, for future reference**

I saw you had also put up your Collings for possible sale.
    Just out of interest, how does the Northfield stack up against the Collings in tone and volume?

I played two Collings at a store recently, an F and an A, and they were unbelievably beautifully made instruments.
    They both were near perfection in build quality precision.
    My only problem with them was that they didn't beat my J Bovier F5 in volume or tone.
    Might be that mine is broken in and the Collings were new, but I didn't feel the urge to spend $6000 on the Collings F, when it did not kick my mandolin's butt.

I am hoping that I will have a Northfield in the future, as they seem to have the tone and look I am going for.
    Plus they are about half the cost of the Collings.
    I think I want the model that you have, as I think that simple design is amazingly pretty.

I would be interested in your take on your Northfield vs Collings, side by side.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).

Quote Originally Posted by CWRoyds View Post
    I saw you had also put up your Collings for possible sale.
    Just out of interest, how does the Northfield stack up against the Collings in tone and volume?

I played two Collings at a store recently, an F and an A, and they were unbelievably beautifully made instruments.
    They both were near perfection in build quality precision.
    My only problem with them was that they didn't beat my J Bovier F5 in volume or tone.
    Might be that mine is broken in and the Collings were new, but I didn't feel the urge to spend $6000 on the Collings F, when it did not kick my mandolin's butt.

I am hoping that I will have a Northfield in the future, as they seem to have the tone and look I am going for.
    Plus they are about half the cost of the Collings.
    I think I want the model that you have, as I think that simple design is amazingly pretty.

I would be interested in your take on your Northfield vs Collings, side by side.
    CW
    i removed the Collings and NF this morn from the classifieds. i played them both last nite and just don't want to let either go. it took me a few mandos to arrive at both of these, they suit me extremely well, nothing i want changed about either one, so i'm back on track.

i like Collings instruments a lot. they are built with surgical precision it seems. i especially like the satin finish models. i like how they look, feel, and sound. i've owned 3 MT's(2 with englemann, and 1 with adi top and varnish). my father in law owns an englemann top MT satin finish as well. i've found all the Collings that have passed thru my hands to be very responsive, very projective, and expertly built. the weak area, imo, on the satin finish models are the tuners. they work, but often you will have one or two that are stiff and need some work. i don't know what brand tuners Northfield uses, but those are always silky smooth. i've had a set of waverly on the MT varnish and i really don't care for them-couple reasons.

the satin finish Collings always feel light in the hand to me. i love a light instrument. i hear a very woody, dry, organic tone as well in the satin base models.

the Collings and Northfield have a different sound, but i find both very pleasant and responsive. you don't have to dig in to get the tone out.
    it appears both hold value very well as used instruments as well, both typically sell very fast in the used market.

my MF can be loud, but it still plays sweet and quiet. the MT's i've had also do that. maybe the strings were dead on the Collings you played.

neck profile shapes are very different as well. i much prefer the Collings neck profile and may reshape my Northfield in time to that shape(i did on the prev NF).

d

25. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

[QUOTE=bigskygirl;1492533]Ha...my hubby and I are both grateful that our respective habits are fly-fishing and mandolins and not drugs, alcohol, woodworking, or classic car restoration...QUOTE]

Oh Diane,
    If were only that simple. My addictions are golf (45 years of it), fly fishing, mandolins. On top of that I also have a wife who is in to horses (we have 9), that is why I have to grow my own hay. If I didn't have all these other distractions I would have a herd of mandolins to play around with.

The Collings I played were lovely instruments.
    Honestly, I have never seen more precisely made instruments in my life.
    They sounded good too, but just not better than my current mandolin.
    The Collings F I played was over $7,000, so I just wanted it to be better than it was.
    You could be right about dead strings, and they were also brand new, so they may need to open up a bit.

I am pretty certain that Northfield is my next mandolin.
    Probably the F5S, as I think the price is amazing for the apparent quality/tone of instrument.
    I don't need to be spending $7,000 on a mandolin.
    (Although my dream is an Ellis F5… unless I win the lottery, then it will be a Dudenbostel, a Gilchrist, and a Lloyd Loar… and possibly that Daley "Hoss" copy, just because it is so head crushingly thick and awesome.)

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    Oh Diane,
    If were only that simple. My addictions are golf (45 years of it), fly fishing, mandolins. On top of that I also have a wife who is in to horses (we have 9), that is why I have to grow my own hay. If I didn't have all these other distractions I would have a herd of mandolins to play around with.
    Ha so true! I too play golf but for some reason am able to escape GAS for that as well. I played with a set of Callaway X-12 irons for ages until I replaced them in 2003 with a set of X-14s I still use. I'm still using my Big Bertha driver...though I have sacks of tees and dozens of balls and ball marks and such.

Head on over here sometime and we'll play some golf and do some pickin'...PM sent.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

I got the chance to play a Northfield A this past weekend, I have been wanting one and it sounded very nice. Then I took out my other mandolins, and my Summit was not better, not worse, but my Brentrup A was so far superior that MAS in again in check. The Brentrup has been gigged with lots and played for thousands of hours and is somewhat distressed which I am sure was my reason for thinking of something else, but once again I am in love and not thinking of taking a mistress. Enjoy the Northfield's Daryl. I would be interested in hearing a Northfield A and an F and see how they differ. I do like the sound of the Collings that is at Dave's Guitar, but at $7000 I still like the Brentrup better. Whew!!!!
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I got the chance to play a Northfield A this past weekend, I have been wanting one and it sounded very nice. Then I took out my other mandolins, and my Summit was not better, not worse, but my Brentrup A was so far superior that MAS in again in check. The Brentrup has been gigged with lots and played for thousands of hours and is somewhat distressed which I am sure was my reason for thinking of something else, but once again I am in love and not thinking of taking a mistress. Enjoy the Northfield's Daryl. I would be interested in hearing a Northfield A and an F and see how they differ. I do like the sound of the Collings that is at Dave's Guitar, but at $7000 I still like the Brentrup better. Whew!!!!
    i've not heard a lot of Brentrups, but every one that i have has been very impressive.
    would love to see a picture of yours, post it here if you don't mind, i'd say others would enjoy the visual treat as well.
    i think Hans has quit building mandos-have you heard that? it was taking its toll on his hands.

d

Last time I was at his house he was quitting building mandolins, but building some wonderful parlor guitars. Quite incredible sounding, and I am a parlor lover. I think now he has quit building or if he is it is very little. A great guy and superb builder. I am not very good being old getting things done on the computer, but if I can remember after the weekend I will try. Larry wants a pic for the Brentrup archive he is doing and that has been a while so maybe I can do a twofer.

32. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

CWRoyds.....your J.Bovier sure sounds like a good value if it can hang with some of American made mandos tone-wise!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00001.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	765.7 KB 
ID:	146366Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00002.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	848.8 KB 
ID:	146367

daryl, here are a couple of poor shots of the Brentrup. As you can see while I try to be careful it has been distressed. The back of the neck is not a speed neck, just finish and stain worn off from playing. In the last 10 years I have had it I have played and gigged a lot and it shows. I have to tailpiece top off as I think it sounds better. This has a great sound, but different than other mandolins, Italian top and Big leaf maple sides and back, I think. Nice complex sound.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post: