Thread: Lowering a Zouks action

Default Lowering a Zouks action

I've a nice mid-priced APC Bouzouki here. It sounds good but the action is monstrous. I can't see how the action should be lowered at the bridge (I don't know the name of the bridge type but it's not a guitar style one) so I reckon it has to be done at the truss rod. Is this safe to do myself or should I take it to a luthier?

Default Re: Lowering a Zouks action

Luthier or repairman.

photos?

perhaps take the strings off, tape sandpaper on the top where the bridge is and sand the sucka down!

1935 Gibson A-1 Wide mandolin
    Late 1800's Unbranded German fiddle

I second the luthier or repairman option (since you can't identify the bridge type right off the bat). An adjustment will have to be made at the bridge and/or nut of your instrument.

You don't lower the action by adjusting the truss rod. That is only for adjusting the deflection in the neck.

Pete
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

It would be sensible to seek help for this, as it seems from your post that you are not at all familiar with the workings of the instrument. As Pete says, truss rod adjustment does not raise or lower action but affects the relief (bowing) in the neck; and you say you are not familiar with the sort of bridge on your instrument.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

There are seemingly no detailed photos of these instruments, even on the mfr's webpage. Here is their long-distance stock photo:
    http://apc-instruments.com/2013/inde...product_id=332

The bridge in these photos looks like a 2-footed 1-pc bridge, similar to what Flatiron used. If too tall, it would need to be shortened or have the string slots cut deeper.

But as the others above suggest, getting a precise measurement of the action at the 1st & 12th frets, and assessing the fingerboard relief (controlled by the truss rod tension), are needed to know how to proceed.
    However, based on experience with similar mid-priced instruments, I would first suspect high action at the nut. This is very common on instruments that sell without a real set-up, and would make the playability feel stiff and uncomfortable. I would certainly recommend learning how to adjusting your truss rod - but only once you are certain you have the correct tool, and have looked at a good online how-to or video demo.
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"