Thread: Mandolin Shopping in the Southeast

Default Mandolin Shopping in the Southeast

Hi all,

Can you recommend music shops in the southeast that carry a good selection of higher-quality mandolins? I live in northwest South Carolina -- so I'm thinking SC, NC, GA, east TN (maybe worth a 6-hour drive to Nashville)?

After many years of enjoying my Eastman 615, I'm feeling ready to start looking for a mandolin that really inspires me. I haven't played many mandolins, so I'd like to start by playing and hearing a variety.

Thanks,
    Dom

Default Re: Mandolin Shopping in the Southeast

For high end names, I'd bite the bullet and go to Nashville. Also, late August go to Asheville NC for Mando week at Schwananoma. They had a bunch of nice Northfields with a big booth of all models, and several incredible Ellis's at Mr Ellis's booth. For less expensive great mandos from small custom luthiers (call ahead and visit their home worksop), head to June Mandolins just off i26 before the NC line. Mr Price of Pricetone makes a nice one too, closer to Columbia.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Make a weekend trip to Nashville. Carter's Gruhn's Cotton Music . You will see more good and great mandolins at Carter's than most anywhere else. Check out their website http://www.cartervintage.com/

Worth the trip. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Randy Wood in Savannah

Registered User Gabriel Wiseman's Avatar

Bishop violins is right outside of Asheville not far off if I-40. Danny has a lot of nice mandolins in there right now. I was in there last week. He's great to deal with and just a great guy. Has a Randy wood, a few flatbushes, webers, Clarks, etc. look up his number on the web by searching bishop violins in Asheville.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    . For less expensive great mandos from small custom luthiers (call ahead and visit their home worksop), head to June Mandolins just off i26 before the NC line.
    +1 on the June mandolin shop Campobello SC. Walter Johnson builds a fine mandolin and is a fine individual. There is a June F5 in the classifieds right now.
    Lennie Lowery
    Kentucky KM-1500
    The Loar LM-700
    J Bovier A5 Special
    MK Dragonfly Flame Custom

For sheer volume, head to Nashville, or hop a plane to Eldery, TMS, or Fiddler's Green.

Locally, Harry and Jeannie West in Statesville used to have some nice stuff, esp in Harry's private collection, which his wife is gradually thinning since his passing. Would call ahead to inquire about inventory and any of Harry's they might like you to make an appointment for. Not a bad drive up To Statesville, just don't hit 77 at rush hour if you head that route.

Ron's Picking Parlor is a Collings dealer and has a nice assortment of mandos depending on trade ins and new stock. Again, would call to check before making the drive...
    Chuck

If you head to Asheville, check out James Condino's shop as well...
    Chuck

Gasawdust beat me to it, give Randy Wood a call in Savannah. You can get his number from his website: Randy Wood Guitars. Good luck.

Thanks, everyone -- this is great intel!

In and near PigeonForge, Tn:

MusicOutlet-usually have 5-6 Gibsons, and 5-6 Webers
    Not too far down the road, SmokeyMountainGuitars carries Collings, Ellis, Passernig

I would call each to confirm stock. Nice guitars at both also if you are in to that.

d