Thread: Collings MF wont fit in OHSC w/ Tonegard. Case advice PLS!

Default Collings MF wont fit in OHSC w/ Tonegard. Case advice PLS!

Hey all,

I'm sure similar topics have been discussed previously but I'd love some advice specific to my situation as I'm sure there are a lot of MF owners reading. I have an MF with a Tonegard and it doesn't fit in the Collings Case. I'd love to travel with it but dont like the idea of constant removal/application of the tonegard. Any advice on solid cases from those who have experienced this exact situation would be nice. Dont necessarily want to buy a calton and im probably in the 200 or under range.

Best,

-BP

Default Re: Collings MF wont fit in OHSC w/ Tonegard. Case advice PLS!

I'm curious about this as well. I'm contemplating a tonegard for my A-style mandolin and expect that it won't fit into the hardshell case that was included with the mandolin. I use a Boulder Alpine gig bag for my F-style mandolin (link is to their A-style bag) most of the time, and will get one for my A eventually. I don't think there would be any problem with either mando fitting into the gig bag with the tonegard attached, but of course there's much less protection from the gig bag. But even the gig bag will roughly double the cost of getting a tonegard
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

If you use an older Tone Gard it should fit. The newer TGs seem to have a higher profile. I have used a TG with my Collings for years. I had to work the case around the 3 contact points in order to have an easy fit... I just pushed in on the sides with my knuckles to make room for the contact points and voila. I later switched to a new Calton and the instrument w TG fit fine from the start.

BTW - my beautiful varnished Collings has scratches into the finish around all 3 contact points where the tubing failed to protect the instrument. I though of getting rid of the TG but it has protected the back quite nicely and does its job sonically (and the damage is already done).
    Last edited by samlyman; May-17-2016 at 11:27am.

I have bent the tone guard to make it flatter, but still not touch the back of the mandolin to make it fit the case better. You can re adjust the arms that fit the side after, they usually need to be adjusted to fit anyway.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I use a fiberglass Airloom case from Northfield (Direct to Consumer price = $350) and my mando fits with the toneguard installed, there is room to put the TG in the case compartment if the player would like.

D

6. The following members say thank you to dschonbrun for this post:

Bpayne 

I had the same problem. My Collings MT2 was a crazy tight squeeze into the OHSC.

I ended up buying a travelite case for $80 online and I'm very happy with it. You're Mf should fit well. I take it to gigs and jams and it gets used a lot. It's a year old and still in great shape, like new.

TRAVELITE CASE

I would've linked to a cafe sponsor but my normal favorites are all out of stock.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

8. The following members say thank you to 9lbShellhamer for this post:

Bpayne 

Thumbs up Re: Collings MF wont fit in OHSC w/ Tonegard. Case advice PLS!

Quote Originally Posted by samlyman View Post
    If you use an older Tone Gard it should fit. The newer TGs seem to have a higher profile. I have used a TG with my Collings for years. I had to work the case around the 3 contact points in order to have an easy fit... I just pushed in on the sides with my knuckles to make room for the contact points and voila. I later switched to a new Calton and the instrument w TG fit fine from the start.

BTW - my beautiful varnished Collings has scratches into the finish around all 3 contact points where the tubing failed to protect the instrument. I though of getting rid of the TG but it has protected the back quite nicely and does its job sonically (and the damage is already done).
    I'm glad you have an old tonegard and a calton. Mine is new and it for certain does not fit. Don't think im interested in manipulating the tonegard at this point in time. Thank you for your help.

For anyone reading... the issues are no with width but solely with the hight or depth as I do not want to CRUSH my MF

From what I have read the A cases from collings will work with the tonegard but the F there is no possible way. Still appreciate your input!

edit

Quote Originally Posted by lukmanohnz View Post
    I'm curious about this as well. I'm contemplating a tonegard for my A-style mandolin and expect that it won't fit into the hardshell case that was included with the mandolin. I use a Boulder Alpine gig bag for my F-style mandolin (link is to their A-style bag) most of the time, and will get one for my A eventually. I don't think there would be any problem with either mando fitting into the gig bag with the tonegard attached, but of course there's much less protection from the gig bag. But even the gig bag will roughly double the cost of getting a tonegard
    Thank you for your advice but I'm not putting my collings in a bag!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I have bent the tone guard to make it flatter, but still not touch the back of the mandolin to make it fit the case better. You can re adjust the arms that fit the side after, they usually need to be adjusted to fit anyway.
    I don't think im interested in the risk. The case holds the MF incredibly tightly. no room for TG even if bent flatter. The bridge rides the top of the case without an decimeter to spare. Thank you for your reply!

To add to the conversation. My buddy is able to fit his Collings MF with tonegard into https://reverb.com/item/1576751-guar...model-mandolin This case. I think the fit is adequate but probably not Ideal. Still hoping for more suggestions!

The above case you linked should work.

As mentioned, I still prefer the travelite. I have my Northfield (with toneguard) in a Guardian case like the one you linked above. The travelite is much more protective and will fit your MF with toneguard.

Maybe that Guardian case you linked has nicer buckles than mine though...
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

I had an older MF and loved the OHSC. Just set the mando in and it fit perfectly with a toneguard. That setup was stolen last May.
    I got a used MT to get me by for a while. It fit in the case fine with a new toneguard. A little snug around the body.

My new MF showed up in November and the case fit was terrible. It took 3 hands to hold the sides back so the points would fit in. The point at the top of the head stock would bump the end of the case. No padding there. It would not close right with the toneguard on. After a couple weeks I took it back to the dealer and traded for a used no-name case that fits just fine.

Tom

Bpayne - I had exactly the same problem with my Northfield F5S not fitting into its case with a TG attached. I searched high and low for a Travel Lite in the UK, as knew it would fit (I tried it in a friend's) but couldn't find one anywhere without importing. I eventually got a Hiscox oblong case which is a great case, albeit a little large and heavy for such a small instrument.

Hiscox are a lot cheaper over here in the UK and I guess Travel Lites are a lot cheaper in the US.

Hope this helps,

Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny60 View Post
    Bpayne - I had exactly the same problem with my Northfield F5S not fitting into its case with a TG attached. I searched high and low for a Travel Lite in the UK, as knew it would fit (I tried it in a friend's) but couldn't find one anywhere without importing. I eventually got a Hiscox oblong case which is a great case, albeit a little large and heavy for such a small instrument.

Hiscox are a lot cheaper over here in the UK and I guess Travel Lites are a lot cheaper in the US.

Hope this helps,

Johnny
    Thank you for the suggestion! Are you speaking about this case? Hiscox Liteflite "Pro II" Mandolin Case?

You might try a Bobelock Fiberglass Mandolin Case. About $250. You could go cheaper and get the Saga Superior CF-1520 fiberglass for about $150. Or Eastman Fiberglass case for about $140, if you can find one (sort of wondering if they have been discontinued)

Hi Bpayne,

Yes, that's the one. Very solid case, tons of room for extras (tuners, strings, picks, etc). The Mandolin fits in nicely with the TG on, with no worries about crushing it when you close the lid. I've used a Hiscox case with a telecaster guitar for years and they're pretty indestructible (within reason, obviously).

Back when I was Snowbirding, I shipped my mandolin USPS, up and down the East Coast
    in a Hiscox, without additional padding or packing inside the case, without issue. Great value.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Whoops, double post. Sorry!

your MF will fit with tonegard attached in a ReunionBlues continental bag, its more protective than probably the TKL hardcase your MF came with, in my opinion. The TKL might have an edge with stacking mult instruments on top of your MF, or someone standing on your case while it lays on the floor. but i've never had issues with either of those situations.
    http://reunionblues.com/product/182/RBCMUBK

i would have no fear of putting my own MF in a RB continental case and tossing it down 30 stairs-i would not want to do that with any other case-hard or softshell.

this vintage style Reunion Blues(all leather, thick padding) is quite nice as well. we have two of these in ballistic nylon(feels like military material), it will fit in this as well. these carry extremely well and balanced also-slung across one shoulder or across the chest. very nice bags inside. more room for items than a standard hardshell. about the same size and weight as a standard hardshell case.
    http://www.elderly.com/accessories/c...bag-111538.htm