Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: $750 Collings mandolin case at elderlys

Default Re: $750 Collings mandolin case at elderlys

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    When it comes to cases, personally, I look to them for maximum protection balanced against bulk and weight, and 'style' or 'finesse' takes a back seat to that. Obviously, this is a really nicely made case that looks and feels great and if people like it - good. More choice for everyone.
    Those are my main priorities too, but I admit that "style" was at least part of the reason why I went with a Pegasus. I could choose a custom cream color for sun protection, and also a custom tartan lining that looks really cool (and relates to some of the music I play). I have enough black cases scattered around the house. It's nice to have at least one that's a bit different.

I might have to look into one of those Collings guitar cases though, one of these days. I have a heavy TKL for my Santa Cruz, and it could use something a bit more high-end. I've been put off by the weight of fiberglass cases in guitar sizes.

Custom colors on cases is a nice option to have, certainly. Most of my cases sport a black exterior color, and I get the conventional wisdom that such a color would be an issue if and when the instrument-in-case is left to remain in direct sunlight for even a short period of time.

But honestly, even a white case would be a problem in this regard. And I never leave the case/instrument exposed in such a way, or in a hot car. I just lug it around...and you never know when a jam will present itself...

For those who haven't seen it, you may be interested in viewing the Fretboard Journal podcast where Bill talks about designing the perfect case.
    https://www.fretboardjournal.com/pod...lings-guitars/
    As an aside, my friend Bob quoted this Shaker maxim in reference to the upcoming 2,000,000 Martin guitar. I think it applies equally to many things...maybe even cases....

"If it is useful and necessary, free yourself from imagining that you need to enhance it by adding what is not an integral part of its usefulness or necessity."
    Last edited by doc holiday; May-22-2016 at 6:06pm.

4. The following members say thank you to doc holiday for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by doc holiday View Post
    For those who haven't seen it, you may be interested in viewing the Fretboard Journal podcast where Bill talks about designing the perfect case.
    https://www.fretboardjournal.com/pod...lings-guitars/
    As an aside, my friend Bob quoted this Shaker maxim in reference to the upcoming 2,000,000 Martin guitar. I think it applies equally to many things...maybe even cases....

"If it is useful and necessary, free yourself from imagining that you need to enhance it by adding what is not an integral part of its usefulness or necessity."
    that was so neat, thanks for posting. I need to check out the Fretboard Journal podcasts, they are another group doing things high quality and classy.
    d

Default Re: $750 Collings mandolin case at elder

" My point being, once we get used to the $16 price, it will never go back to $3.69 again........:cow"

We're seeing the end of the CD somewhere in the not-too-distant future...
    But your question...."who sets the price." Deserves some thought or some twisting.
    What is the cost of conceiving of a product and bringing it to production.....and how long is it until you realize a profit...or at least break even. There's no doubt we can see the differential between a cheap off-the-rack suit and a made-to-measure bespoke suit (see: Lawson, Doyle). Or between a Rogue mandolin and a Gilchrist.
    Bill Collings gets to work on what he wants to. I admire that. If you want to crunch numbers, what would the engineering & development cost be to have someone of Bill's ability spend four years getting all the details right? Then add the cost of building a new building to house the project. Then add the cost of stocking materials, custom latches etc? Now, how many units do you have to sell to break even. I applaud Bill for being dissatisfied with TKL cases...and doing something about it. I once priced out a TKL/ Cedar Creek mando case with '30s Tolex, pink interior, nickel latches, & white stitching. They wanted $700. At that time a Calton was $500. I didn't bite.
    I sure like these Collings cases both in concept and execution, and hope the case line is a success for them. They do add something to our small mandolin world.

$750 is entirely in line with what you'd pay for an equivalent quality violin case.

Modern epoxies have transformed the strength and durability that can be achieved with a laminated wood construction. I really like the look of that case.

Hi folks - Don't go looking for a tall tree & a rope just yet !!. I have no problem at all with whoever buying whatever - it's none of my business !. It just seems to me that as soon as something new comes along,we (some of us),immediately become disatisfied with what we have already.
    To take Doc Holiday's point re. Bill Collings setting up a case production unit. Doc's quite correct - it takes a lot of time & cash to do that.That's why some companies have cases built to their own specs.by companies who already have the tooling & facilities in place. First Quality did exactly that when they asked TKL to build a rectangular case with additional reinforcings / wooden plies etc. for them. That was their "American Vintage" series case & it's a killer case !!. Collings could have done exactly that. Even hugely prestigious companies such as Rolls Royce / Bently don't make all their own parts,they're made by companies who are already set up to make those parts. The Rolls & Bently parts are simply made to a higher spec.
    As i mentioned in a previous post,i could design an incredibly strong mandolin case using thermoformable Lexan Polycarbonate outer shell mouldings with internal reinforcings. However,i wouldn't even dream of forking out the cash for the mould tooling,knowing full well that there are companies who already have the exact tooling required. I'd simply pass my specifications to the company with whatever extra i needed to tell them,& let them get on with it. After a prototype (or 2) has been made & tested,it's either a yes or no situation.
    I can only understand Bill Collings going the way he has if he needs to control absolutely everything from start to finish.
    How many mandolin builders make their own tuners ?. Now that's an area of some discontent if ever there was one,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

So, in summary: yes it is - no it isn't - no it's not - yes it is.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

This thread has proven to be most interesting. Who will fork out the cash, for quality does call customers, who will shake their head at those that do, as frugality is always with us, and who will be the first to sell a used one, when necessity calls the shots. I do look forward to actually seeing one in the flesh , so to speak. Sort of like playing Tiger at Carter's. I won't be taking that one home, but it was a memorable encounter.
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Yep, we've talked about cases just about as much as we've talked about picks.

The Genesis Of The Mandolin Case. We have Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, all with their advocates and detractors.

Quite fascinating.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Hi folks - Don't go looking for a tall tree & a rope just yet !!. I have no problem at all with whoever buying whatever - it's none of my business !. It just seems to me that as soon as something new comes along,we (some of us),immediately become disatisfied with what we have already.
    To take Doc Holiday's point re. Bill Collings setting up a case production unit. Doc's quite correct - it takes a lot of time & cash to do that.That's why some companies have cases built to their own specs.by companies who already have the tooling & facilities in place. First Quality did exactly that when they asked TKL to build a rectangular case with additional reinforcings / wooden plies etc. for them. That was their "American Vintage" series case & it's a killer case !!. Collings could have done exactly that. Even hugely prestigious companies such as Rolls Royce / Bently don't make all their own parts,they're made by companies who are already set up to make those parts. The Rolls & Bently parts are simply made to a higher spec.
    As i mentioned in a previous post,i could design an incredibly strong mandolin case using thermoformable Lexan Polycarbonate outer shell mouldings with internal reinforcings. However,i wouldn't even dream of forking out the cash for the mould tooling,knowing full well that there are companies who already have the exact tooling required. I'd simply pass my specifications to the company with whatever extra i needed to tell them,& let them get on with it. After a prototype (or 2) has been made & tested,it's either a yes or no situation.
    I can only understand Bill Collings going the way he has if he needs to control absolutely everything from start to finish.
    How many mandolin builders make their own tuners ?. Now that's an area of some discontent if ever there was one,
    Ivan
    My goodness, you're sure full of yourself. One thing is for certain and you're absolutely right about it: Bill Collings doesn't think like you.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    How many mandolin builders make their own tuners ?. Now that's an area of some discontent if ever there was one
    Ivan
    This might sound crazy to you, but maybe Bill Collings wants to build cases and has the means to do so. What does that have to do with "controlling absolutely everything"?

It sure sounds like you are actually offended by him offering a case that he builds.

CAS is cheaper than MAS. If you like it, buy one. As to why Collings decided to build cases.....sometimes when you own your own business you get to do things just because you want to and don't have to explain anything to investors or shareholders. There's obviously a market for a case like this!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by houseworker View Post
    I really like the look of that case.
    Yea.

In the past several years I changed my thinking about cases. I have gone from dedicated cases one for each instrument, to cases for each function - one for festival carry, one for long distances in the car, etc., and using whatever case is best for what ever instrument is going with me. In the process I had to set aside the original case for my A2, because while it is cool as all heck, it does not really provide great protection and is not in the best of shape.

This Collings case might get me thinking back the other way, because of its cool looks, I might assign it to the A2.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there enough room in that thing for a tonegard?
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

This thread reminds me a lot of the thread about Frank Ford's string winder.

Lots of folks had strong opinions about it, but few had actually seen it. I think Mr. Ford probably built the string winder because he could, and he thought it was cool.

I imagine the same is true for Mr. Collings and his cases. He wanted something special for his top of the line instruments, but the overall effect on his bottom line will hardly be noticed if people buy these things or not.

So it really doesn't matter what I think, but for what it's worth, I think they are cool.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

19. The following members say thank you to Austin Bob for this post:

For those wanting to tote these cases around............buy a case cover, or you shall be crying after the first knock in it.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    For those wanting to tote these cases around............buy a case cover, or you shall be crying after the first knock in it.
    The first knocks are a great place to start putting case stickers.

22. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

this just in!

there will be one of these available at Gryphons as soon as they open and I make the call. They had one Saturday and put it in hold for me as the office folks were out that day and could not send me a paypal invoice. Plan was to call this morning and arrange payment and have it shipped.

Just this morning I received my weekly Bernuzio email and John has sold his home in NY and is selling off some very interesting items-all sorts of old books in NOS condition, posters, instruments, etc. There is an item with the name "Fairbanks" that I'm highly interested in and funds must go in that direction.

I will get one of these cases in due time, right now an old Fairbanks needs my direct attention.

Here you go-thank me later
    Don't delay, I doubt it lasts past midday.

http://www.gryphonstrings.com/

**be sure to tell me how nice it is when you receive it

d

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    .....sometimes when you own your own business you get to do things just because you want to and don't have to explain anything to investors or shareholders.
    And that is exactly how I run my business. Sometimes these decisions are good for the bottom line, sometimes just good for my curiosity and sense of adventure. But it has kept my business interesting to me for these past 30+ years, and there is something to be said for that.

I applaud Mr. Colling's sense of innovation and think he has made a beautiful product. It is something I would not have predicted I would want, but after seeing the pictures, I think there will be one in my future. I appreciate things that are made to a higher standard just because they can be. This case sure seems that way to me.

Best wishes to Mr. Collings in this interesting venture,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob Clark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    Best wishes to Mr. Collings in this interesting venture
    He certainly has created some interest here on this forum!

here it is, some nice pictures as well-when the link doesn't open and pics are no more, somebody has bought it.

be nice, ask, and they will let it go for $765 plus shipping

enjoy the view

https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/prod...tyle-new-48212

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    The first knocks are a great place to start putting case stickers.
    Can't see anyone putting case stickers on these cases. You have to see these in person to really get a feel for what they are like.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Gryphon web site shows $850 for the mandolin case. Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
    that was so neat, thanks for posting. I need to check out the Fretboard Journal podcasts, they are another group doing things high quality and classy.
    d
    Listen to the latest FJ podcast wherein Walter Carter describes the recent appearance and history of the first sunburst Gibson Les Paul Standard, from May 1958, now for sale in his store (@ $625K!). Interesting for that alone, but also for Carter's analysis of the overall vintage guitar market, and more specifically the boutique guitar and mandolin markets. Great info.

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/pod...ntage-guitars/

31. The following members say thank you to Doug Freeman for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Pick View Post
    Gryphon web site shows $850 for the mandolin case. Seriously?
    i think thats the retail listing-most shops that had these were selling for $765 plus shipping-Gryphons will do the same if you ask.

d