Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: $750 Collings mandolin case at elderlys

Default Re: $750 Collings mandolin case at elderlys

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    not mandolin related, but there was the trend in the 60's to encase your living room furniture with clear, see-through covers, the purpose being 40 years in the future, you can remove the cover and donate essentially a brand-new vintage chair to the Goodwill.....

also, the current trend of floormat liners for your truck/suv......to protect the carpet? your floormats?....not sure. I guess I need to work in mud more often.....
    oh no, the memories...........
    my mom at one time had the clear plastic covers on our couch/chairs as I was growing up. that was awful-uncomfortable, hot in summer, cold to touch and stiff in winter. I don't know how my dad ever made it thru all that. I was so young it didn't matter. she also put the clear plastic "runners" thruout the house over the carpet. again, horrible.

now the car mats I have to agree with. I'm a clean freak inside the house and in my autos(ask my wife). I use them but keep them extra clean inside(remove factory mats and use heavy duty rubber. insides of my autos look brand new-2006/2008 models.

in our home, we have 4 dogs and 3 cats-they go inside and outside, and you could "eat off our floors". the animals are kept exceptionally clean and I've used essential oils on them for 25 years+, long before they became popular.

wife and 2 daughters are not OCD clean freaks like me. I call them the 3 tornadoes-takes 2 minutes and they flip the inside of our house.

one daughter, around 6 years old, made me a fathers day card. on the outside she drew a whitewater kayak, a bicycle, me walking the dogs, a broom, and a vaccum. I asked her why the broom and vacc, she said she drew the things she knew I liked to do. I acknowledged I probably had an issue at that point in time with a medical name tagged to it

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darylcrisp For This Useful Post:

Has anyone who bought one of these ordered a case cover for it yet? If you did, I'd like to talk to you , please PM me.

From Daryl - "..clear plastic covers on our couch/chairs...". Aaaaaaaggggghhhhhhh !!! - That's ghastly in the extreme. That's the same reason i don't like to sit on leather armchairs or sofas (having had them in the past) They're cold in Winter & your a** sticks to them in Summer. I remember my parents having the plastic 'runners' on the hall carpet as well.
    There's nothing wrong with being house / car proud either Daryl. I was brought up to consider that anything i had,might be the last one of 'em & to look after it. I still do. I do the vacuuming every day as well - 10 minutes to keep on top of it. I also have a bath every 6 months whether i need it or not !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I got my case today (I bought the prototype from Elderly). So far I think it's pretty sweet. I don't travel much with my F5. Only around town to play with friends, so it is just about perfect for me. Very light and compact (it weighs 2 pounds less with the mando in it than my Pegasus does empty. Here are a few pictures comparing it side by side with the Pegasus

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0841.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	438.1 KB 
ID:	147075Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0839.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	374.3 KB 
ID:	147076Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0840.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	364.6 KB 
ID:	147077

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Tom Sanderson For This Useful Post:

Sleek! Must...resist...CAS...

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    Sleek! Must...resist...CAS...
    Resistance is futile...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
    oh no, the memories...........
    my mom at one time had the clear plastic covers on our couch/chairs as I was growing up. that was awful-uncomfortable, hot in summer, cold to touch and stiff in winter. I don't know how my dad ever made it thru all that. I was so young it didn't matter. she also put the clear plastic "runners" thruout the house over the carpet. again, horrible.

now the car mats I have to agree with. I'm a clean freak inside the house and in my autos(ask my wife). I use them but keep them extra clean inside(remove factory mats and use heavy duty rubber. insides of my autos look brand new-2006/2008 models.

in our home, we have 4 dogs and 3 cats-they go inside and outside, and you could "eat off our floors". the animals are kept exceptionally clean and I've used essential oils on them for 25 years+, long before they became popular.

wife and 2 daughters are not OCD clean freaks like me. I call them the 3 tornadoes-takes 2 minutes and they flip the inside of our house.

one daughter, around 6 years old, made me a fathers day card. on the outside she drew a whitewater kayak, a bicycle, me walking the dogs, a broom, and a vaccum. I asked her why the broom and vacc, she said she drew the things she knew I liked to do. I acknowledged I probably had an issue at that point in time with a medical name tagged to it
    I share your afflictions...
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sanderson View Post
    I got my case today (I bought the prototype from Elderly). . . Here are a few pictures comparing it side by side with the Pegasus.
    The list of things I desire to own is remarkably short (I really have everything I want and want just about everything I have) but this case is definately on that short list. Thanks for these pictures. They are pushing me ever closer to the edge.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

11. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

NewKid 

I got my case today (I bought the prototype from Elderly). So far I think it's pretty sweet. I don't travel much with my F5. Only around town to play with friends, so it is just about perfect for me. Very light and compact (it weighs 2 pounds less with the mando in it than my Pegasus does empty. Here are a few pictures comparing it side by side with the Pegasus

Tom
    how does the latch under the handle work?
    and I think this is the prototype Collings used at NAMM when they introduced this-so I'd say a lot of folks have saw this case.
    that thing is a beauty, sleek, classy!
    d

The latch slides just like the old Gibson a style cases. It even has a lock but it did not come with the key.

Thanks for those photos! And your Pegasus is the same color as mine, cool.

Quick question (which may have been mentioned up-thread but I don't remember) -- how does your mandolin fit with a ToneGard attached in that Collings case if you have one? I haven't had any problems with my Lebeda F5 and ToneGard in the Peg.

Also, for anyone comparing all these cases, note that the Pegasus has that extra thickness underneath the peghead area. There is a compartment there under a flap, where I keep extra string packets. Not much room there, but it explains the extra thickness. The under-neck compartment is just barely large enough for picks and a digital tuner (either StroboClip or TC Polytune)

Tom
    when/if time permits, show us a picture of the bottom, those look like heavy duty case "legs". also a picture of the inside compartment if possible.

thanks for posting the other pics also
    d

[QUOTE=darylcrisp;1498533]Tom
    how does the latch under the handle work?
    and I think this is the prototype Collings used at NAMM when they introduced this-so I'd say a lot of folks have saw this case.
    that thing is a beauty, sleek, classy!
    d[/QUOTE

Sorry that the pictures are upside down, I just went from windows xp to windows 10 and I don't know how to use it yet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0845.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	674.0 KB 
ID:	147117   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0846.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	530.7 KB 
ID:	147118  

17. The following members say thank you to Tom Sanderson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    Thanks for those photos! And your Pegasus is the same color as mine, cool.

Quick question (which may have been mentioned up-thread but I don't remember) -- how does your mandolin fit with a ToneGard attached in that Collings case if you have one?
    It fits in with the toneguard on. The fit is tight with or without the TG on, almost like a vacuum when you remove the mando. Here's a pic of the mando in the case with it on. It sits a little higher, but the lid closes fine with no noticeable extra force.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0856.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	725.4 KB 
ID:	147123

Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
    Tom
    when/if time permits, show us a picture of the bottom, those look like heavy duty case "legs". also a picture of the inside compartment if possible.

thanks for posting the other pics also
    d
    Attachment 147119 Attachment 147120Attachment 147121 Attachment 147122
    Last edited by Tom Sanderson; Jun-09-2016 at 7:33am.

Links don't work

Quote Originally Posted by alann View Post
    links don't work

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	686 
Size:	554.7 KB 
ID:	147124

Views:	734 
Size:	447.7 KB 
ID:	147126

Views:	668 
Size:	616.0 KB 
ID:	147127

Views:	683 
Size:	517.8 KB 
ID:	147125

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Sanderson For This Useful Post:

A couple of pics. of the headstock area with the mandolin inside would be nice. That area has been the scene of some mandolin damage in the past (in another well known brand of case) & realistically demands more ''headroom'' that is usually allocated,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Views:	232 
Size:	553.0 KB 
ID:	147160Click image for larger version. 

Views:	228 
Size:	563.0 KB 
ID:	147161Click image for larger version. 

Views:	241 
Size:	624.4 KB 
ID:	147162

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom Sanderson For This Useful Post:

This prototype has the oval center lock that is not included on the production cases. Either they managed to find one that is "new-old-stock" or they stole one off an old violin case and had it re-plated.

These oval locks have not been made for a long time. My estimate of the cost to have some made is at least $20,000 to create the tooling and have a minimum production run. I'm sure that's the reason Collings left them off the production cases.

Steve

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loudloar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Loudloar View Post
    This prototype has the oval center lock that is not included on the production cases. Either they managed to find one that is "new-old-stock" or they stole one off an old violin case and had it re-plated.

These oval locks have not been made for a long time. My estimate of the cost to have some made is at least $20,000 to create the tooling and have a minimum production run. I'm sure that's the reason Collings left them off the production cases.

Steve
    The center latch is what attracted me to the prototype. It is more vintage looking, plus more secure with 3 latches rather than 2, and it was $45 cheaper.

They cut you a deal when you buy a Collings Mandolin and That case as a package?
    they should.

I use the shoulder strap on my FG cases .

no wood, classic vintage, OHC ones ever offer other than the Handle to carry it By .

Setting a case down to do other things, with your hands in a crowded place ,

and someone else can grab it.

... so It goes..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    They cut you a deal when you buy a Collings Mandolin and That case as a package?
    they should.

I use the shoulder strap on my FG cases .

no wood, classic vintage, OHC ones ever offer other than the Handle to carry it By .

Setting a case down to do other things, with your hands in a crowded place ,

and someone else can grab it.

... so It goes..
    A Smalldog case cover solves that problem.

Hi Tom - Many thanks for the headstock area pics. That area looks fine & should assuage any nasty thoughts about ''scrollectomy's'' that any prospective buyer might have. It's nice to know that Bill Collings did address the one criteria that other makes of case didn't get ''quite right'' should we say !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    Also, for anyone comparing all these cases, note that the Pegasus has that extra thickness underneath the peghead area. There is a compartment there under a flap, where I keep extra string packets. Not much room there, but it explains the extra thickness. The under-neck compartment is just barely large enough for picks and a digital tuner (either StroboClip or TC Polytune)
    +1

Name:	pegasushead.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	147185
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.