Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: $750 Collings mandolin case at elderlys

Blog Entries

Default Re: $750 Collings mandolin case at elderlys

Quote Originally Posted by j. condino View Post
    Currently listed at $995 on the Collings website and sold out.
    Manufacture of all Collings cases ceased awhile back. Very, very unlikely they will ever be produced again. My understanding form the GM the equipment was moved off-site and the building that housed their manufacture has been repurposed.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

I'm sorry the numbers did not work out for their continued manfacture. It was my good fortune to work out a trade for one of the A model cases, home to my Henderson A. There is a Small Dog cover for mine--my wife might say I'm too rough not to use one!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2156.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	189844 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2157.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	189845
    Russ Jordan

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ Jordan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    Love paradigms on parade. It sort of has the look of a TKL or Geib, so therefore that must be the goal. It has the cost of a flight case so therefore it must serve that purpose. Not the way Bill Collings works. You don't get the superior balance or the feel in hand with pictures. You don't experience how much better the latches are on the case or the fact they were smart enough to leave off the annoying (my opinion) lock near the center with the key--the one so rarely used on Geibs that are all lost. You don't get how much better the bedding where the instrument rests is compared to other cases. You don't get the feel of the exterior which looks TKL but isn't. Only stating it won't sell, which has nothing but opinion backing the statement, woefully neglects the question of "what is the true value of a crappy case your mandolin sits in, and was it worth the price you paid?"

Bill Collings builds products for people that are passionate about stringed instruments. Go to a NAMM Show and see firsthand the reactions from musicians and dealers. This is Bill's market and simply an extension of his other pursuits towards building a better version of something we're all used to. The guitar dealers I know are pretty much flipping out over the guitar cases. As a mandolin enthusiast, I get what's going on here.
    Well said, a big amen from me.

Mr. Collings gifts and commitment are seen in everyone of these cases as well as the instruments he crafted. I'm very thankful to have one, it reminds me of him & his relentless commitment to excellence.

6. The following members say thank you to maplebaby for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by maplebaby View Post
    Well said, a big amen from me.

Mr. Collings gifts and commitment are seen in everyone of these cases as well as the instruments he crafted. I'm very thankful to have one, it reminds me of him & his relentless commitment to excellence.
    This is well said. Part of the attractiveness of this case is what it tells you about an individual - what he can do when he really sets his mind to something. I'm sure this may sound like philosophical hogwash to some - but owning a Collings MT2-V encased in a vintage Collings case gives one some excellent insight into the idea of perfection. This man was focused!!

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim Logan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Manufacture of all Collings cases ceased awhile back. Very, very unlikely they will ever be produced again. My understanding form the GM the equipment was moved off-site and the building that housed their manufacture has been repurposed.
    Bummer.

I liked them- a lot.

Great ideas don't always translate into successful business models. I know many people who were hoping they would turn into a standard issue item when you bought one of their mandolins.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

Blog Entries

I consider my Collins A case (badged and sold by Tom Ellis' shop) to be one of my prized musical possessions and one of the smartest purchases I've made. It's a thing of beauty and a work of art. imo. I am a case nut tho - ymmv

It is a shame they are no longer made - you can see Collins' passion for producing an heirloom case in every detail