Thread: Mandobass on the cheap (Non-Gibsonian)

Default Mandobass on the cheap (Non-Gibsonian)

Might appeal to some. Hundred bucks opening bid. Probably needs some work but mandobasses are hard to come by these days.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandobass.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	146899

Mandobass, bass mandolin, it plays but could use some adjustments. I made this bass. I'm a novice luthier. I grafted an electric bass neck to fit an acoustic body. A split in the headstock developed so I glued and screwed it back together. It seems very strong. I carved the arch top from spruce. The sides are maple. The back is poplar. It could use some adjustments in the setup. The nut is too high. I added a pickup to it but it's hanging loose in the body. I hadn't tried it with an amp.

Measurements:
    Body 31" length 20" width 6 1/4" deep
    Full length 58"
    21 frets
    30 3/8" string scale

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331868127840

Default Re: Mandobass on the cheap (Non-Gibsonian)

I was tempted, truly I was. But then I saw the wood screws holding the headstock together.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

With that bridge location, there is no way that will produce any kind of acceptable tone.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charles E. For This Useful Post:

DavidKOSDobe 

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    With that bridge location, there is no way that will produce any kind of acceptable tone.
    Sure, but playing mandobass for the tone is like smoking marijuana because you enjoy the way it makes your clothes smell.

I have a fretted upright electric bass and I figure that's close enough.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

6. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Blog Entries

Gibsonian for just a bit more

I've had acoustic basses and electric bass guitars that I've scordatura'd in all-fifths (CGDA.) Acoustic guitar basses in general are not highly regarded for tone, afaik. Once you realize a mandobass is basically the same thing but with a big unwieldy body that you have to hold at a strange 45 degree angle, the concept loses some of its appeal. Unless it's got collectors' value like a Gibson, I wouldn't bid too high on it.

P.S. I've found that violin-shaped bass guitars make good candidates for retuning as mandobasses. They seem to have the right "look." Analogous to turning an archtop guitar into a mandocello for instance.

http://guitarz.blogspot.com/search/l...%2For%20guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    ...Analogous to turning an archtop guitar into a mandocello for instance...
    Or this one?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    I've had acoustic basses and electric bass guitars that I've scordatura'd in all-fifths (CGDA.) Acoustic guitar basses in general are not highly regarded for tone, afaik. Once you realize a mandobass is basically the same thing but with a big unwieldy body that you have to hold at a strange 45 degree angle, the concept loses some of its appeal. Unless it's got collectors' value like a Gibson, I wouldn't bid too high on it.
    The mandobasses I have seen, and the berde I own, are much larger than any acoustic bass guitar I have ever seen. Their size, playing position, and sound are a lot like those of an upright bass. They are generally from the era before amplification, and acoustically, long story short, they do work.

The one linked above is a joke, 30 inch scale isn't going to do much of anything in the low end acoustically, it needs to be over 40 inches with a big body. You can put a pickup on something like that and get volume from an amp, but that's really more of a potemkin village approach.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Sure, but playing mandobass for the tone is like smoking marijuana because you enjoy the way it makes your clothes smell.
    Ha, Ha, now that is funny right there. Almost snorted a Lagunitas out my nose on that!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Or this one?
    Well it's tough to beat the Lloydster when you're talking anything mandolin related, including m'cellos. I don't know about that standard tailpiece with the trapeze extension though ... looks sort of like someone with suspenders hitchin' their trousers up way too high.

Quote Originally Posted by ombudsman View Post
    The one linked above is a joke, 30 inch scale isn't going to do much of anything in the low end acoustically, it needs to be over 40 inches with a big body. You can put a pickup on something like that and get volume from an amp, but that's really more of a potemkin village approach.
    Makes sense since the guy built it with a standard bass guitar neck. I suppose you could also "cheat it" to get that sound with just a regular mandolin and an octave pedal.

As others have noted, the scsle is very short (30 3/8" string scale). Mandobasses usually have scales close to 3/4 uprights (42"). I think Jake W's mandobass would be a better bet or even his banjo bass.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Judging from the 12th fret location and distance to nut, the bridge would be about over the soundhole to be in tune. Unplayable as is. Pull the frets!

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I think Jake W's mandobass would be a better bet or even his banjo bass.
    Jim, that's what I know.

Of all the great stuff Jake has drifted past us over the years, thoughts of his mandobass make me smile the most.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Of all the great stuff Jake has drifted past us over the years, thoughts of his mandobass make me smile the most.
    You guys are too kind. :D I have a sweet spot for bizarro-land instruments, it's true.

I already have the ambition to put together a carved-top MB to replace my plywood wonder! I pulled the tightest-grain 100+ year old spruce posts (used for blocking) out of the back of a piano last year and have been thinking of slicing them thin enough to glue-up into a top for one... bit by bit. They're right on the quarter and, as luck would have it, 40"+ long...!