Thread: Don't it just PU off !!.

Default Don't it just PU off !!.

I don't know how many other folk become totally exasperated when searching websites
    for 'specific' items. I just decided to look at the website belonging to a musical store in Germany - Thomman. I did a search for 'Mandolin cases' - specifically,what did i get but 178 pages of cases for everything !. Do these people really think that folk are going to trawl through 100's of pages in order to find what they're after. If so,i think they're sadly mistaken.
    Thomman isn't the only store to have such a ridiculous search pattern either. It's about time some of these stores got real regarding what they expect folk to do,& trawling through 100's of pages isn't one of them,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Default Re: Don't it just PU off !!.

The search string "Mandolin case" brings everything that contains either "Mandolin" or "case", hence the large number of matches. But Thomann (sic) has checkboxes on the left (just below the search field) to narrow down the search by category; one of those reads "Bags and cases for folklore instruments", and checked it leaves you 117 results to choose from, most of which are actually for mandolins.
    Think like the machine, beat the machine.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Blog Entries

Or if searching for a combined term that has two very general terms stick them in perentheses; "mandolin case" or do mandolin + case
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

In answer to your question, No.

Smile Easy site-specific Google search reduces frustration :)

Site-specific search at Google ought to significantly reduce your frustration levels. I use it all the time, it's great. Here's how it works:

Go to google.com and search using the following string, type it *exactly* as shown on the line below:

mandolin case, site:thomann.de

Or for more precision, use quotes:

"mandolin case", site:thomann.de

Either of those should give you a list of mandolin cases at the thomann.de website.

Google site-specific search is also useful for any other website, including MandolinCafe.com. For instance if you wanted to get an idea of how many English fiddle tunes are at MandolinCafe, go to Google and type the following:

"english fiddle tune", site:mandolincafe.com

Hmm, only a few, including one of mine. The quotes really narrowed things down. For a wider assortment of results including some non-relevant ones, experiment with removing quotes.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jess L. For This Useful Post:

To answer the question, I agree. If a website is poorly designed and I struggle trying to find what I'm looking for I promptly search for another site that may have what I'm looking for. A company with a poorly functioning website intended to be used for e commerce loses business, that's pretty much a fact. You're right there are companies that need to improve their sites. No way am I going to use technical search inquiries to find a instrument case...within ones own site or google. It doesn't make me upset I just kinda shrug and move on.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around and play mandolin.”

Blog Entries

Question asked and answered.