Thread: I broke a string!

Default I broke a string!

The one thing I hate the most is breaking a string right after a good cleaning. I was tuning up my Eastman, setting the bridge and it popped. A .011 D Addario J74. The problem is I don't want to buy a whole new set so does anyone know a place online to get a single string or does anyone want to just donate to my carelessness. I'm so sad...

Default Re: I broke a string!

Just google"Mandolin strings and you will get a lot of sites to click on...

I have had this happen so many times that I buy single strings sets of 5 D'Addario strings in whatever gauge needed.

They are usually ball end but you can remove the ball and you have a perfect replacement.

Search for D'Addario PL011-5 Plain Steel Guitar Single String, .011 5-pack.

Guitar Center should have a pack for $2.99 plus tax.

Amazon sells single string packs for several brands including D'Adario.

5. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Along these lines I have a question: Does any string manufactuer make mandolin family strings in these configurations: 0.118, 0.028, 0.042?

I would like to experiment with a custom configuration as follows:
    E: 0.012
    A: 0.018
    D: 0.028
    G: 0.042

Why? Max volume, maybe increase in richness of tone. I've Googled but can't seem to find any like the ones I need.
    Last edited by DataNick; Jun-08-2016 at 3:01pm. Reason: clarification
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

If you bought a pack...then you would have extras...if it ever happened again...
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around and play mandolin.”

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    Along these lines I have a question: Does any string manufactuer make mandolin family strings in these configurations: 0.118, 0.028, 0.042?

E: 0.116
    A: 0.118

Why? Max volume, maybe increase in richness of tone. I've Googled but can't seem to find any like the ones I need.
    I've spent years making custom sets on guitar, but I can't figure why you'd want the E and A strings nearly the same gauge. That A will be floppy as heck. Stock A strings are already lighter than they should be relative to the others.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bowsman View Post
    I've spent years making custom sets on guitar, but I can't figure why you'd want the E and A strings nearly the same gauge. That A will be floppy as heck. Stock A strings are already lighter than they should be relative to the others.
    My bad...I meant E: 0.012
    A:0.018
    Last edited by DataNick; Jun-08-2016 at 3:00pm. Reason: Clarification

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi

Never throw away the old set after changing. They'll do in a pinch.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

11. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

My bad...I meant E: 0.012
    A:0.018
    Ok, that makes a little more sense

I just switched up to .0115, and love the tone difference. I agree a 12 would be worth trying.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

E: 0.012
    A: 0.018

Nick, I use guitar singles and make up my sets all the time. It's a pain taking the ball ends off, but I get what I want. I was using a .042 also in GHS white bronze. Sounds great. I didn't have as heavy on the other strings tho.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

14. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I can't remember when I last broke a string; certainly not since 2002. If you are prone to breaking Es or As, the next time you change a full set, don't change the unwound ones. The difference in sound between new and old unwound strings is negligible and you'll end up with a couple of spares of each to use should you break one.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Nick, I use guitar singles and make up my sets all the time. It's a pain taking the ball ends off, but I get what I want. I was using a .042 also in GHS white bronze. Sounds great. I didn't have as heavy on the other strings tho.
    Cool!

How do you loop the ends on the hooks on the tailpiece?

I have a few extra of those I'd be happy to give you. Pm me your address and I'll send em' out...

You remove the ball end from the loop. Looks just like a mandolin string once the ball is out.

19. The following members say thank you to Dan Co1e for this post:

I just did 2 guitar string singles for a set of mandola strings I got that was missing 2 strings (came in the case in a trade). My music store has a string purchase card. after so many sets you get a set free. I often take a bunch of singles instead. it's almost always the e or a that breaks
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

21. The following members say thank you to Barry Wilson for this post:

Great responses!

Shredded Cheese Authority Emmett Marshall's Avatar

I know that a lot of people already know this, but after breaking MANY new .011 "e" strings while tuning, it finally occurred to me that I should try initially tuning them much more slowly. I haven't snapped one since. Then once they are up and running, they don't snap unless I do something a bit careless - like accidentally turn the wrong tuning peg or something.
    Last edited by Emmett Marshall; Jun-09-2016 at 12:10am.
    Weber F5 Bitteroot Octave - "...romantic and very complicated."
    My instruments professionally maintained by...RSW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Strings are consumables like toothpaste or floss. Breakages happen, and it's a good idea not to be miserly and have a certain stock of replacements ready at any time.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

I have to say I don't understand players that don't have at least one full set of instrument strings in their case. I generally keep two or more replacement sets around the house as well because strings are wear items. They break, they go dead they get wear spots from fretting, they get old and no longer intonate properly........ It's not like they are ridiculously expensive. Five dollars for a low end set and twenty-five for the very high end. What I play with cost about eight dollars and last three or four months with good tone and playability. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UsuallyPickin For This Useful Post:

I ordered some spare E strings (.09 and .10 iirc) from Just Strings a while back and got them in a long, thin plastic envelope of 10 or something; the only problem is storing them without getting them accidentally kinked -- they tend to tangle when you have a bunch in a single long string. But it has saved me from various problems just to have them hanging around. I've only once broken some other string than an E and that was because I was tuning the wrong peg and snapped a thomastik A string (!). I know that there are other suppliers who will sell you single strings -- you should be able to search their website for the option if it exists.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

It's a procedure that gets easier the more you do it. I use a needle nose pliers and a pointed awl and take the ball off so I have a loop, then it's business as uaual. You will break one occasionally especially until you have it down.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

29. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I keep a spare set of strings in each case at all times, plus a box at home with mixed; full sets, partial sets and such.... other than the ukulele. those strings last forever and don't break (watch I will break one this weekend LOL)

my string card fills up really fast. I have one full now and another will be full next purchase

I always tune the higher note strings slower... must look like I am disarming a bomb. I had a string break once tuning and it made my finger bleed lol
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

I played in a band with a guy for seven years and to my knowledge he never bought a set of strings. As they broke, he would ask me if I had an "extra" E, A, whatever........that's been 30 years ago, I'm sure he's still adding to and subtracting from that same "set" of strings. He had a great ear for melody and was a quick learner.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I have a full set in my instrument case. When it's time for string change, I use those and replace them afterwards with a set from the backup chest. When the backup chest is down to one set, I order 4 new sets. And I suppose the chain goes on all the way to D'Addario...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world