Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Relic'd Collings MF-5: Beauty or Blasphemy?

Default A Relic'd Collings MF-5: Beauty or Blasphemy?

I just happened to be perusing Elderly after seeing the post about the $750+ Collings case (which is no longer listed) and I saw this used MF-5 for sale. At first I thought it had just been played...a lot...by a pinky planter. But the description says it's been relic'd and the pictures sure bear that out. Be warned. It's not a pretty sight. Has anyone heard of a relic'd Collings?

http://www.elderly.com/collings-mf-5-recent-124994.htm

http://www.elderly.com/media/catalog...s/dscf8228.jpg

I've seen this a lot with solid body guitars and basses lately and I think it's pretty tacky. I have strong feelings about putting the wear on your instruments there yourself by playing them but that's just me. Sure, I've owned some old Fender basses that have lost the finish on the back of the neck but they'd obviously been played through over time. There's nothing more ridiculous looking than shiny, flawless finish next to raw wood as can be found on the abrupt transition on the back of the neck. I don't know who did this but it looks awful. The 'work' on the scroll is particularly bad.

http://www.elderly.com/media/catalog...dscf8239_1.jpg

Any way, you know how I feel. How do you feel? Beauteous or blasphemous?
    1999 Summit Artist F5 #132 - ToneGard - McClung Armrest - BaileyStrap
    2021 Barros Vibrações Concertista Bandolim

Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, Martin, Velazquez, Cervantes guitars
    Anton Krutz double bass, Pierre-Yves Fuchs bow
    Roscoe, Fodera, Sadowsky, Fender basses

Default Re: A Relic'd Collings MF-5: Beauty or Blasphemy?

If you work at the Fender Custom Shop, you're allowed to relic an instrument. Those dudes can scratch up a Strat so convincingly you'd never believe it's not 40 years old. Anyone else, bad idea.

Overall, I agree with you that it's tacky. That Collings looks awful. If I bought it I'd steel wool the gloss off. I'm not opposed to instruments being dinged up, but that is just silly.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Blog Entries

I've seen some reliced(sp?) mandolins I do like but would pass on this one. Looks like someone played it rough and then decided to cover that by adding more and calling it reliced.

A properly relic'd instrument can be a thing of beauty. This was a ham-handed attempt on the Collings!

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

I understand the pinky plant "wear" and sort of get the slight wear on the scroll (hot chopping?) but how do you explain the right arm location wear? Was this fictional player wearing a sandpaper sleeve?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Ugh... That's a shame. Whoever did that should go take a lesson from Ken Ratcliff... He knows how to distress a Silverangel and make it look right.
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jstring For This Useful Post:

I do a first-rate job of "relic-ing" my instruments by playing the poop out of them. Don't need to have it done artificially.

The idea of making, say, a Stratocaster that looks like Jimi Hendrix dragged it behind a Harley, and selling it to some teenage kid with lots of Dad's money -- so that Jimi Junior can get some undeserved "cred" -- has always seemed sort of poser-ish to me. I know Gibson made some Distressed Master Model F-5's, where the aging was quite artistically done. But when I read of tuners being soaked in acid to make 'em look like they're 50+ years old, I just wonder why so much price-increasing extra work is done just to make an instrument look worse.

Oh well, that's why I'm not in marketing, I guess. As for the Collings in question, yuck. Bet it sounds good, though.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Nope, uh uh, no way.

That's an instrument distressed by someone who has no idea how real wear happens or what it looks like. Maybe combined with a hard lacquer finish where it's hard to pull off anyway?

I sanded the finish off the neck of my Lebeda F5, but at least I knew what both real wear and a "violin neck" looked like before I started. And it doesn't look anything like this. What a shame, because I'm sure it's a good-sounding instrument and someone is going to have to finish the job (or a total refinish) before this looks right.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

It hurts to look at it. What a shame. I am sure it is a wonderful instrument.

BTW, don't loan your car to this guy!
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Like the guitarist I used to work with said, "Be a man -- break in your own jeans".

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Bevan For This Useful Post:

Haha, I like how the top shows extreme wear but the back, sides and neck are pristine. Hmm.

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I don't care for fake relic'd instruments, i did buy my the loar 600 really badly distressed, looked like Mike Marshall's mandolin. Only reason i bought it was the price a really good deal and i did a total refinish myself. I have a few instruments that have actually wear and I'm fighting refinishing them.
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

I don't care at all for any of the relic tactics going on for the last few years-I want it real if its there.

really poor job on that beauty of a mandolin-Bill Collings would have to be tied down if he saw that-I would think.

d

I will admit that relic-ed or unrelic-ed instruments are a matter of personal preference. In this case, it just looks WRONG!

I've seen some examples of beautifully "relic"-ed Tele's, Strat's, & Les Paul's by some incredibly gifted craftsmen (Clive Brown in the UK comes to mind). Done correctly, they really ooze mojo.

IMHO - That's the very worse attempt at relicing i've ever seen. Most instruments present a pattern of 'surrounding wear',not simply a huge chunk out of the finish. I like a good relic'd finish if it's well done & the mandolin looks antiqued,but that one's simply bad,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I hope the people at Collings' finishing department are being offered counselling, this is an affront to them. Comes close to criminal damage IMHO.

Blog Entries

Random hippie DISC sanding? Or maybe an angle grinder....
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Why anyone would ever attempt to emulate the most unnecessary, ugliest sign of playing wear ever - the dreaded pinkie rub - I'll never understand.

25. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

Tobin 

I have one word that I try to use infrequently and, that word is, stupid.
    The term used to be "distressed" now it's "relic'd"? Making up words has become a real peeve for me, almost as big a irritant as people doing wasteful, harmful things to instruments.i do not think damaging something does not make it a "relic!"
    There is a big rant brewing in my head about the demise of the English language which I shall restrain from issuing. These pages generally maintain a higher degree of grammar and proper laguage skills.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timbofood For This Useful Post:

Not purty, but could be an awesome sounding MF5 still under that botch job. (and for a cheap price...) Someone needs to buy this mando and give it some love.
    Last edited by 9lbShellhamer; Jun-09-2016 at 9:44am.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

On the general topic of relicking, distressing, antiquing or whatever you want to call it. There is a long history of it in violin making but it is usually copying a highly prized historic instrument with an attempt to reproduce it as close as possible. I have a friend who is considered one the best violin makers in the world and he started out copying famous instruments for some famous owners. This way the players could take their priceless Strad or Guarneri to the beach and no one would know the difference.

Of course the Collings above is not a copy of anything, just a nice instrument gone wrong. Oh well...
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    ...There is a big rant brewing in my head about the demise of the English language which I shall restrain from issuing...
    Glad you're "defensing" against those rant impulses. Discussing grammar and usage would be a "whole nother thing..."
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

32. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Seems like an exercise in how to diminish the value of a $6000 mandolin. And Marty's observation is spot on. The back and side are pristine while the top and neck are ruined. Looks quite convincing...NOT!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    I have one word that I try to use infrequently and, that word is, stupid.
    The term used to be "distressed" now it's "relic'd"? Making up words has become a real peeve for me, almost as big a irritant as people doing wasteful, harmful things to instruments.i do not think damaging something does not make it a "relic!"
    There is a big rant brewing in my head about the demise of the English language which I shall restrain from issuing. These pages generally maintain a higher degree of grammar and proper laguage skills.
    Not to mention stellar examples of punctuation and spelling. What'd they teach us in school long ago? Right, point a finger and four are pointing back at ya.

You're welcome.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Restrain? Refrain? I'll pick the latter but I've never been accused of being a practitioner of the linguistic arts.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

37. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post: