Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Relic'd Collings MF-5: Beauty or Blasphemy?

Default Re: A Relic'd Collings MF-5: Beauty or Blasphemy?

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    I have one word that I try to use infrequently and, that word is, stupid.
    The term used to be "distressed" now it's "relic'd"? Making up words has become a real peeve for me, almost as big a irritant as people doing wasteful, harmful things to instruments.i do not think damaging something does not make it a "relic!"
    There is a big rant brewing in my head about the demise of the English language which I shall restrain from issuing. These pages generally maintain a higher degree of grammar and proper laguage skills.
    Agreed. The term "relic'd" with the apostrophe is awkward, at best. I assume this is to avoid using "reliced", which would have "lice" as its root word. (although I've seen it used, as well) Probably less awkward when spoken than if you have to write it....

In any case, the Collings is not particularly attractive or effective in its use of this "technique", IMHO. As previously stated, I have also seen examples of electric guitars that were more "authentic" looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    In any case, the Collings is not particularly attractive or effective in its use of this "technique", IMHO. As previously stated, I have also seen examples of electric guitars that were more "authentic" looking.
    Where's Spruce? He's the king of "distressed" electric guitars!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
    Where's Spruce? He's the king of "distressed" electric guitars!!

Present...

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    I do a first-rate job of "relic-ing" my instruments by playing the poop out of them. Don't need to have it done artificially.
    Sometimes you do...
    I remember getting a '51 D18 that someone had spray-painted the top blue...
    I mean, blue...
    I re-finned the top, and had to antique it to make it fit back in with the rest of the guitar...
    My first use of a weed-eater for "pick wear"...

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    A properly relic'd instrument can be a thing of beauty. This was a ham-handed attempt on the Collings!
    It's not an easy thing to do...
    I'm guessing that this instrument had some finish problems, so they decided to have a go at it...
    I think it'll be a lot better with a few years of actual wear on it...
    I'd sure love to rub some dirt into those wounds...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bowsman View Post
    If you work at the Fender Custom Shop, you're allowed to relic an instrument. Those dudes can scratch up a Strat so convincingly you'd never believe it's not 40 years old. Anyone else, bad idea.
    I beg to differ...

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Maestas View Post
    Has anyone heard of a relic'd Collings?
    I antiqued an electric Les Paul-style guitar for Bill Collings a couple years ago...
    The original finish had some hard-to-see flaws, so they wanted the guitar to be taken down Relic Road...

It was a very unsatisfying project, mainly because the Collings finishes are incredibly durable, and wouldn't crack or check at all...
    I sent it through 50 freezer/heat gun cycles, and nada...
    Oh well...

The guitar wound up with Zac Brown, and you can see it in action here:

4. The following members say thank you to Spruce for this post:

wooq 

Thanks for the good natured corrections gang.
    Granddaughter in hospital and I'm feeling a little "under lubricated" just now.
    That is simply a reference to my last signature line. I should probably refrain from posting until this is over or, I may need to be restrained!

Not an excuse, merely explanation.
    Carry on
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Timbofood For This Useful Post:

I've religiously kept my fingernails short and tried to be ever conscious of pinky planting and other unwanted advances. But I've self-relic'd my Collings MF-5 rather noticeably. Now, based on Elderly's price tag, at least I've got a better idea of how much value I've worn away. Or is honest relic'in' not as devaluin' as custom relic'in'? (Forearm wear? At least I haven't done that!)
    Jethro lives! (Tiny, too!)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Morse View Post
    Now, based on Elderly's price tag, at least I've got a better idea of how much value I've worn away.
    OK, according this this ad here on the Cafe, this mando is discounted 1.5K or so?
    Seems like a deal to me...

I'm just not a big fan of distressed dressings on instruments. Heck, I cried when I scratched my new Gallatin.

10. The following members say thank you to Al Trujillo for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Trujillo View Post
    I'm just not a big fan of distressed dressings on instruments. Heck, I cried when I scratched my new Gallatin.
    I'm with you on that. I was heartsick after the first tiny ding on my Ellis. I try to keep it protected, clean, and safe. I want it to look as new as possible for as long as possible. For the amount I paid to have a fine instrument, it just seems foolish to not keep it in fine shape and be a good steward. Hopefully it will outlive me and folks will be talking about it a century from now just like we do with the old Gibsons.

Natural play wear is unavoidable to some degree (although a pick guard and armrest go a long way, which is why I use them). But intentionally beating up an instrument in an attempt to look road-worn? Meh, I'd feel like a poseur doing that, and I would feel a tad intellectually dishonest. It's purely an image thing, and I don't need to prove "street cred" via any other means than how I play.

For those who do like distressed instruments, how do you handle it when people comment about all the years of play that they think are on your instrument? Do you tell them that it was faked, or do you just let them make their own assumptions without correction? Not trying to be judgmental, just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post

For those who do like distressed instruments, how do you handle it when people comment about all the years of play that they think are on your instrument? Do you tell them that it was faked, or do you just let them make their own assumptions without correction? Not trying to be judgmental, just wondering.
    I like to tell them to "be really careful with this--it's pretty old and valuable", and then drop it on the ground...
    Last edited by Spruce; Jun-09-2016 at 4:46pm.

FWIW I think Washburn makes a good looking quasi-distressed model, though sadly I've read mixed reviews of their mandolins from the playing perspective. Not sure if this one counts as relic'd as such or just antique finish. I put Golden Age relic brass tuners and tailpiece on my mahogany Gretsch and it looks way better than stock. Seems antique finish is not necessarily the same as distressed, unless you put some nicks and scratches into it?

http://www.washburn.com/products/blu...n/M106SWK.html

I relic for a living...not instruments.

That is on par with Eastman's "antique violin finish". Looks like a Jr High project.

The Collings is greatly devalued as a result. Not remotely believable.

The most wear it should show in perhaps 30 years worth of careful ownership given it is a Nugget spawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    Seems antique finish is not necessarily the same as distressed, unless you put some nicks and scratches into it?
    I concur with that. When I bought my Ome Jubilee banjo, one of the things I liked about it was the aged brass hardware that didn't look shiny and new. They do a nice dark patina on all the brass. They also do some sort of acid treatment (or something) on the tuners to knock down the shine and make them look a bit aged. But all the wood is new, clean, dent- and scuff-free, nicely finished, and lovely. So it has the aesthetic of an old banjo without trying to hoodwink anyone into thinking it's a really old banjo.

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    I like to tell them to "be really careful with this--it's pretty old and valuable", and then drop it on the ground...
    We had a basket case Epiphone and now and then when a customer was really terrible about everything one of us might reach for the guitar, look at it and open the door out to a big warehouse and say "Aw, you don't want this." and throw it out the door! This usually resulted in a look of complete shock or, gales of laughter. It always got the customer off a high horse and then real conversation about instruments could begin.
    It was a little like the scene in "Animal House"!
    Timothy F. Lewis

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    The term "relic'd" with the apostrophe is awkward, at best. I assume this is to avoid using "reliced", which would have "lice" as its root word.
    There is yet another option, but not much better...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

18. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    I don't need to prove "street cred" via any other means than how I play.
    And that's the only safe means, too, IMHO. Posing is always on the verge of ridicule. Nothing is more pathetic than a youngster clothed in rags and badly playing an instrument all of which look 30 years more mature than he himself, because he forgot to relick his face as well and failed to remain silent.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Some people do this to the back of the neck (at least on guitars) because they prefer the feel of raw wood. If a person sweats heavily the finish can cause it to have a sticky feeling depending on what kind of laquer is used. They don't care about how it looks because they intend on keeping the instrument.

That's not really trying to render it a "relic" there is real advantage in that. That is improving playability for the individual. See "Speed neck" in a search, very common "personalization".
    The "make it look like something it's not" is something else entirely.
    Timothy F. Lewis

That's a serious bummer! A good opportunity to finish the top with a hand rubbed varnish though. If I had the money, I'd offer $3500 for it. Remove the finish from the top and blend the "distressed" spots. Then varnish. Might really be nice at a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    That's a serious bummer! A good opportunity to finish the top with a hand rubbed varnish though. If I had the money, I'd offer $3500 for it. Remove the finish from the top and blend the "distressed" spots. Then varnish. Might really be nice at a good price.
    I'd be tempted to buy that and make it look more "authentic" in it's wear...
    But, those Collings finishes just do not want to look old, period, no matter what you do to them.
    They shrug off heat, cold, and the normal checking that follows small dents and dings...
    Remarkable, really.

In 100 years, we're gonna have a whole bunch of Collings instruments kicking around that look like they came out of the factory yesterday...

I'd be tempted to buy that and make it look more "authentic" in it's wear...
    But, those Collings finishes just do not want to look old, period, no matter what you do to them.
    They shrug off heat, cold, and the normal checking that follows small dents and dings...
    Remarkable, really.

In 100 years, we're gonna have a whole bunch of Collings instruments kicking around that look like they came out of the factory yesterday...
    I'd strip the finish off the top completely and refinish it with varnish

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    I'd strip the finish off the top completely and refinish it with varnish
    It might not come off...

It might not come off...
    Good point

Send it back to the Collings factory for a factory refinish. I bet they know how to refinish it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I don't get bent out of shape about nicks and scratches on my instruments, it means they get played. But fake marks is just too phony. I truly don't understand that
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Language is more flexible than most people would have you believe. Hence the word "vernacular", which Merriam-Webster defines as of, relating to, or using the language of ordinary speech rather than formal writing
    or of or relating to the common style of a particular time, place, or group

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vernacular

Language is constantly evolving, which is why they update dictionaries on a regular basis.

That said, I'm not sure that I'd go $4k on that mandolin (unless of course it sounded like gang-busters, a word that is surprisingly found in Merriam-Websters also). It just seems so wrong to do something like that, and to do it so badly.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gangbusters
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

30. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post: