Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Bluegrass: The new Americana!

Default Re: Bluegrass: The new Americana!

I've got to say in all honesty that while I much enjoy the playing and indeed the singing of traditional bluegrass, I do sometimes find the actual songs themselves to be a bit - well, corny I guess.
    I also tend to prefer Monroe's choice of songs to other people's.

So I'm not surprised that modern bands may opt for what they may see as 'better' material, while still having a strong bluegrass feel instrumentally.

Probably a sacrilegious thing to say, I suppose. Does anyone else feel the same?
    David A. Gordon

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    I've got to say in all honesty that while I much enjoy the playing and indeed the singing of traditional bluegrass, I do sometimes find the actual songs themselves to be a bit - well, corny I guess.
    I also tend to prefer Monroe's choice of songs to other people's.

So I'm not surprised that modern bands may opt for what they may see as 'better' material, while still having a strong bluegrass feel instrumentally.

Probably a sacrilegious thing to say, I suppose. Does anyone else feel the same?
    I'd think that's just a matter of taste; some of us have a taste for "corny" songs and hopefully a very broad spectrum of music.

The edges of genre definition have to "fuzzy" - I think of Del's new album, Woody and Me, which I really like. I believe that Del and the boys have made Bluegrass of most of these songs. They were written but never recorded by Woody (or anyone else for that matter), so despite the Woody Guthrie publishing rights, what Del has made of them is Bluegrass IMO.

WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

3. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Gypsy 

So, "Memphis" by Lester isn't BG but, he is, there's your conundrum wrapped in a pair of socks and hidden in a drawer! The converse also applies, Dwight Yoakum doing "Man of Constant Sorrow" sure turns tables, does that make Dwight a BG blasphemer or promoter? I'd like to say the latter but, you will all shout that down.
    Not BG, done by a "Master", why is it so critical to try to "define" that which is a constantly growing musical form?
    Stop beating the poor horse and go make some music, PLAY some music!
    If we all played as much music as we seem to want to debate genre, this forum (surely this thread) would not exist!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

5. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

I love the Dixie Dregs! I doubt they considered themselves bluegrass.

I don't know if you think this is bluegrass or old-timey, but it's certainly Americana.

Bruce Molsky is the business!
    David A. Gordon

Blog Entries

Does anyone else feel the same?
    I certainly do & am always impressed when bands sing about what is relevant to them rather than just sticking in the ruts plowed by others. As long as they're still in the musical path then I prefer to hear song lyrics I can personally engage with.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

I remember the "Highwoods string band" do that in '77 while visiting a friend in Richmond IN. Old timey music is lots of fun! Americana seems like a pretty broad scope to me.
    Timothy F. Lewis

I was reading an article just yesterday that sort of puts thing in perspective, if I can remember exactly how it goes, which I can`t....In the 50`s we had hillbilly music which composed of country and bluegrass and later they were separated into different catagorys, we also had Bill Haley, and Elvis and they were doing rock and roll, after a while rock started to spread out some and that became "Acid rock" and then later it was called "Heavy metal" rock, so as bluegrass progresses through its different forms and styles why can`t we or someone come up with a decent name to call this new music, I think Americana is just making it a broader classification but some music that don`t have a place could be put in to it...Americana to me is when a few people get together to play and don`t really have instruments that would classify them as a certain style of music....a mixture of different instruments....

Hard to explain it but like bluegrass, Celtic, rock and roll and rap and some others, I know it when I hear it...

Willie

11. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

Gypsy 

I've argued the point on here that in order to be a 'true' Bluegrass song / tune,it should have been composed to be performed as a Bluegrass song / tune in the first instance - other than that, they're ''borrowed'' tunes adapted for Bluegrass. It does however raise the very opposite question - what would you call a 'true' Bluegrass song / tune ( by 'tune' i mean Instrumental), performed by say, a Jazz band or an orchestra etc. ??. Suppose were hear the New York Phil.Orchestra rendering an orchestrated version of ''Jerusalem Ridge'' ( personally i'd love to hear it done) ?. Does it make JR a 'Classical tune or 'whatever' you might wish to call it ?. For me,it is exactly the opposite,it's a ''borrowed'' tune performed in a 'different' style which makes it no less valid as a ''true'' Bluegrass tune as it was originally written as one.
    I saw this YouTube clip ages ago, & the sound of the orchestral strings is simply awesome IMO. I'd travel a long way to hear a hour or so of Bluegrass performed in such a manner & i wish that somebody would come up with a commercial recording
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I've got to say in all honesty that while I much enjoy the playing and indeed the singing of traditional bluegrass, I do sometimes find the actual songs themselves to be a bit - well, corny I guess. ....Probably a sacrilegious thing to say, I suppose. Does anyone else feel the same?

Dagger, amigo, I respect the caca out of you, but don't even know where to go with this.

When I listen to trad from the Isles, I just pretend y'all are singing in another language and just get into the overall vibe and flow. I guess corn is in the ear of the beholder. Except in Indiana, I suppose, where I give them serious props.

Mick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_9749.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	149183  
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

15. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Really, Ivan, you've gotten 23 years out of one pair of sneakers?!?!
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

From jaycat - "Really, Ivan, you've gotten 23 years out of one pair of sneakers?!?! "". Where did that come from ???. Sneakers,sneakers - i don' need no stinkin' sneakers !,
    I do however posess a denim shirt that's over 30 years old.It's been washed so may times that the cotton feels like the finest silk,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Dagger, amigo, I respect the caca out of you, but don't even know where to go with this.

When I listen to trad from the Isles, I just pretend y'all are singing in another language and just get into the overall vibe and flow. I guess corn is in the ear of the beholder. Except in Indiana, I suppose, where I give them serious props.

Mick
    That was a funny post, Mick.
    David A. Gordon

Ok' it's gone from a realistic conversation about the progress of musical genre to the obligatory what is and what AIN'T bluegrass now we're throwing more curves in here!
    Jaycat, I'm the one with the twentyfour year old sneakers.
    Ivan, I've never been able to get more than twelve out of a shirt, what's the secret?
    Mick, wear trousers!
    Dagger, it's all music except in Indiana where it's produce.
    Apologies to all the folks in Indiana I've just insulted, some great music comes from the state!
    So, since we are running off the rails like a crazy train....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	127 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	149191
    Timothy F. Lewis

20. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

From Timothy - " Ivan, I've never been able to get more than twelve out of a shirt, what's the secret ? ". No secret Tim,it just keeps on coming back for more. It shows no sign of wear at all,although it's faded from a 'mid denim' shade to a very pale Blue. It's soft & very comfortable to wear & i reckon it'll outlast me.

That steak reminds me of the one i was offered in Lexington,Ky. back in 1992. I asked the waitress for a larger one than they showed on the menue (8oz). She asked me how big ( no comments please !),& i said a 16oz steak would be fine. I hadn't eaten since 7 o'clock in the morning & it was now around 9.30 pm. She asked me if i'd like a 32 oz steak !!. I didn't know they existed. She took me over to where they were grilling the steaks & the Chef (cook ?), brought one to show me. Well,i don't mind eating a steak,but hell fire,i don't want one that fights back !!!. It was HUGE . I can't remember the name of the Steakhouse,but it was only a 1/4 mile from the Days Inn where me & my friend Andy were staying. It was something like ''Tom Hagan's Steakhouse'',but the food was awesome. I also remember that it had a lot of photos.,pieces of kit & bats belonging (or having belonged) to the Kentucky Wildcats Baseball team. Having played UK League baseball myself in the past,it was interesting to see. I just remembered one time after going rock climbing one weekend,i did eat 2 16oz T-bone steaks back to back. I'd forgotten to pack my sandwiches in my backpack. As usual, we called into the steakhouse in Manchester where we used to go after our climbing. I had my usual 16oz steak,but i was still so hungry,i ordered another one,fries & all,

What was this thread about ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Ivan, there was a time when I ate like that. No longer though, that one in the picture was shared by my family, we probably could have forced ourselves to do a,second one but, I simply did t think of it in time, silly me!
    Timothy F. Lewis

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

... to be a bit - well, corny I guess.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

24. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Apologies to all the folks in Indiana I've just insulted, some great music comes from the state!
    Another borrowed tune at a Bluegrass festival.