Thread: California Music Stores - absolute must visits?

Default California Music Stores - absolute must visits?

Friends, Romans, Countrymen,

I am heading to CA (specifically starting in SF and Taking Highway 1 down to LA, and finally ending up in San Diego). Are there any music stores that you "HIGHLY" recommend I visit? Mostly interested in Mandos and Fiddles. I will likely have little time in SF, but plenty of time in the Santa Barbara, LA, and San Diego areas.. I already have Griphons on my list.

thanks for your help!

Also, I tried to find some must-see concerts next week, but didn't come across much. any suggestions that I may have missed?

2. The following members say thank you to jazzjune18 for this post:

Default Re: California Music Stores - absolute must visits?

Along with Gryphon in the Bay Area, if you have time try Mighty Fine Guitars in Lafayette, Ifshin Violin in Berkeley, Schoenberg Guitars in Tiburon, and Steve Swan Guitars in Burllngame. Then also Lemur Music in San Juan Capistrano.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luna Pick For This Useful Post:

Schoenberg is on my list as well, and good to know there are others up there. As for Southern California, McCabes in LA comes to mind, though I don''t think they have too many mandolins. But they usually have pretty cool concerts there. And regrettably I can't think of a place in San Diego that I can wholeheartedly recommend.

6. The following members say thank you to Clement Barrera-Ng for this post:

Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz since you are going that way.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Great guys! Thank a ton

Dang, yes Sylvan. I knew I was forgetting one. They have a nice inventory.

11. The following members say thank you to Luna Pick for this post:

Of course Sylvan. And if you can be so kind as to try out the couple of Girouard A5 they have and report back it would be greatly appreciated

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clement Barrera-Ng For This Useful Post:

I just bought an Ellis A5 from Sylvan. They had another one that was almost identical. Great shop.
    Northfield Artist Series F5 (2 bar, Adirondack)

15. The following members say thank you to dwc for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Clement Barrera-Ng View Post
    Of course Sylvan. And if you can be so kind as to try out the couple of Girouard A5 they have and report back it would be greatly appreciated
    I live halfway between Gryphon and Sylvan, with Guitar Showcase right next door. That is why I've never ventured to Schoenberg. While they have a nice acoustic room, Showcase has no fiddles or mandolins that I've seen.

No bargains to be had at either Sylvan or Gryphon, just fine inventories, great repair shops, and primo sales people.

Found my 65 Epi Texan at Sylvan. They had no less than six vintage Gibsons to choose from. They left me pretty much alone in the vintage room for five hours and let their inventory do the talking.

17. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Sylvan has lots of Webers, and they also have an excellent acoustic guitar selection, with multiple Lowdens and Goodalls, and at least a dozen SCGC's. Across the street, you can grab lunch at either Burger or Mission Barbecue.

There also is a very quirky and fun music store in Morro Bay called Central Coast Music. The only music store I ever went to in Santa Barbara was Folk Music and Harps, but apparently, they have closed.

Highway 1 between Half Moon Bay and San Luis Obispo is one of the absolute drop-dead gorgeous drives in California, with the stretch between Carmel and San Simeon being the best of the best. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride! In Big Sur, get lunch at the restaurant or cafe at Nepenthe. The food is excellent, and the view is even better.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

19. The following members say thank you to Marcus CA for this post:

If you find yourself anywhere near Covina (an east suburb of L.A.) stop in at The Fret House. It began in 1969 as a folkie instrument shop and hangout and despite their having expanded into electric along the years, the acoustic side predominates. Great selection and very knowledgeable people. They ALL play well, too.

21. The following members say thank you to Kenny for this post:

Tall Toad Music in Petaluma usually has a fairly sizable collection of mandolins.

23. The following members say thank you to barney 59 for this post: