Thread: akg c411: Noisy?

Default akg c411: Noisy?

I've just bought one of these. Having had a very expensive time trying many pickup solutions I think I'm onto something with this one.

But.. it's very noisy. Not handling noise, I mean when I put enough gain on this for it to be heard there is a lot of hiss, on or off the instrument.

I bought it new, so no problem if it needs to go back, but I just wondered if this has been the same for other 411 users? It's the PP model (ie full size XLR connection) and I've tried it through an AER Alpha and TC Electronic voicesolo. Same hiss on both.

ANy thoughts appreciated.

Default Re: akg c411: Noisy?

I played though one for a few years maybe ten years ago, and can't remember that kind of problem. Sound was about as good as it gets when you're picking up at just one point on the instrument. I wonder if your noise problem is elsewhere in the chain.

I got fed up after a while with contact devices. That inability to adjust level by turning a knob or moving in or out put me off them. Eventually I went to an electric mandolin (Godin) for loud situations, and a good condenser mic where a good acoustic sound was wanted.

Blog Entries

Should be no hiss. I have one myself, and use them quite often on various instruments and the residual noise is extremely low. Inaudible in use. They have a wide range of phantom power acceptance too, from 9 to 52v, so should be fine with both of those units (the TC puts out 24v as I recall). You could have a faulty C411 there.... one other indicator is that you seem to be suggesting you are needing to apply a lot of gain. This should not normally be necessary. Try it on one more input type, just to be sure, a regular mixer channel, for example, but I suspect you might need to send this one back. Something definitely wrong somewhere. Worth confirming too that your AER and TC's phantom power is turned on and working correctly - plug an electret mic in, just to check.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

On the AER Alpha are you connecting to the XLR mike input or the XLR/1/4" instrument input ? If I remember correctly (I've only seen one of those amps long ago) I believe there's only phantom power on the mike input. It sounds to me like you don't have phantom power for the mike if you only get hiss and virtually no audio. Just a thought
    Dave
    Heiden A, '52 Martin D-18, Taylor 510, Carlson Custom A with Electronics

Thanks folks.

I tried it on my desk as well - same result. It's heading back and I've bought another.

All the best