Thread: G string slips off saddle on Godin A8

Default G string slips off saddle on Godin A8

I play a Godin A8. This mandolin has a separate piezzo saddle (by RMC) for each pair of strings.
    Sometimes, especially during performances (Murphy's Law?), one of the G strings may slip off its piezzo Saddle. This forces me to stop playing and return the string to its place.
    I do not use much force when picking.
    I use medium picks (0.71 Gator Grip) and Thomastik Stark strings.

Any idea how this slippage could be prevented or fixed?

Default Re: G string slips off saddle on Godin A8

I have never had the problem. maybe the slot isn't deep enough?
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Thanks Barry,
    I'm not sure how to check whether the slots on the G piezzo transducer have standard depth. I don't know whether I should temper with them, e.g., sand them or try to chnge their shape. In any case, it happens on both G strings so it's not an anomaly with one of the slots.
    Do you use flatwounds as well? Perhaps round-wound strings hold the saddle better.

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

I'd contact RMC before I did anything to the saddle. This should not be happening. What is the saddle made of?
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

5. The following members say thank you to billhay4 for this post:

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

I looked at a picture of this in your previous thread. Looks like this will be difficult to fix.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

7. The following members say thank you to billhay4 for this post:

Thanks Bill,
    Any other suggestions or remarks from Godin A8 owners?

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sevelos View Post
    Perhaps round-wound strings hold the saddle better.
    I am not aquainted with the model in question, but I'd try heavier gauge G strings, which should not jump off as easily with the higher tension.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Can you post a photo so we can see what you're talking about?

Usually, a string slipping off the saddle is a sign that the grooves aren't deep enough to seat the strings well enough to resist side force. Either they were not cut deep enough, or you're using strings that are larger than the slots were cut for. Either way, a slight deepening of the slot would fix it. I don't see how going to a larger string would help here, since tension is not the issue. It may actually make the situation worse.

But something else might be going on, where photos would help.

11. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

I can get going pretty hard on mine. I am using light strings now (doing 6x4hr gigs this week, my poor fingers). I have always used round wounds on the Godin but I play it a ton. Mine is almost due for a fret job. I could pull the strings aside and take a pic of mine if you'd like for comparison. The saddle is metal so filing would be the only option. I can put serious pressure on mine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4324[1].jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	393.5 KB 
ID:	147687
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4325[1].jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	426.6 KB 
ID:	147688
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

13. The following members say thank you to Barry Wilson for this post:

hi,
    i love using my A8 for some types of gigs.
    i have the same prob w/ my G string, usually the outside one shifting but sometimes both. i play fairly hard at times, use a 1.5mm proplec on J-74 type strings. i'm interested in any solutions. i've thought about light filing in the slot but i don't want to mess w/ the saddle w/o some expert advice as it may have unintended adverse effects in the pickup or saddle integrity. bruce

Just before you start filing the slot, plug in the A8 to your favorite amp/pa and file away. Maybe kick in a ton of distortion and a bit of delay and wail away.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Those are certainly unique! I can see why the strings won't stay put. Seems like they'd want to roll back and forth in the rounded valleys under normal use. It looks like a nice low friction saddle for easy tuning, but jumping out would be a concern. I'm not sure filing a notch would be the right idea here.

I went to tune up for my gig and the G was way off. I forgot to put it back in the slot LOL. I am thinking either the string is too big, to flat or the slot has somehow worn off on yours. In that first pic I am putting a lot of pressure on the string and it doesn't pop out. I didn't have much light when I took that. I could do better light and on an angle if you want.. I played mine for almost an hour tonight at the gig. I have come to appreciate it more as time goes by. The heat was something though and I had to tune my A a couple times

I only have 2 godins no acoustic, and even though I use a .46mm pick , very flexible,on occasion I will knock the g off especially If I try to play hard ( lead when not turned up enough) . I don't know if you can change your playing style to a light pick, and turn up .
    the slot is not very deep. I think the thin pick gives you some options on the electric that a thick pick would not, speed on strumming, maybe? but again don't have an acoustic so I am just guessing .

19. The following members say thank you to kjbllc for this post:

I use a thick pick, sometimes a golden gate (though I lost that 2 weeks ago when the wind picked up and blew it off my table), usually a faux tortoise shell that is rounded off from all the use.

I switched from the heavy Thomastik to the light Thomastik on my Godin and they play much better.Never had one slip off.The heavy did.

22. The following members say thank you to mandolinstew for this post:

Barry, what kind of strings do you use?

I was using J74's, then ej74's and now elixirs (lights).

25. The following members say thank you to Barry Wilson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wilson View Post
    I was using J74's, then ej74's and now elixirs (lights).
    I just encountered the problem on my G strings when I switched to EJ74s on my A8. I use a stiff pick but had never had this experience before. Are the strings the most likely culprit?

Quote Originally Posted by CurtisPark View Post
    I just encountered the problem on my G strings when I switched to EJ74s on my A8. I use a stiff pick but had never had this experience before. Are the strings the most likely culprit?
    To the OP contact Godin I hear they have great customer service it. I play an A8 and use John Pearse heavy gauge and no problem with I use the amp for volume and don't dig in as much as I do on my acoustic mando. What type of strings were you using before the J74's ?

Looks like the string is too big for the slot. It also looks like all the saddles are the same. I would file the saddle slot for the G string to widen it out, but not go deeper.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!