Thread: Stradolin Tailpiece

Default Stradolin Tailpiece

Just got a Stradolin 2 point off of Craigslist. It's in very good shape....the luthier that is cleaning it is impressed. Question...is it worth upgrading the tailpiece to a more heavy modern cast tailpiece in lew of the older rusty (surface) 2 piece? It looks like holes would have to be drilled. Didn't know if the modification would give a return in sound quality that was worth putting more holes in it....if not should I have it removed and coated (nickle/gold). What can I use on the wood to keep it preserved....thanks for all the input in advance!
    Glenn

Default Re: Stradolin Tailpiece

Most of the two piece tailpieces were Waverly Cloud tailpieces. If it's good I'd keep it. You're not going to get any change in the sound by changing the tailpiece. If you change it change it because you like the way it looks.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Default Re: Stradolin Tailpiece

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Most of the two piece tailpieces were Waverly Cloud tailpieces. If it's good I'd keep it. You're not going to get any change in the sound by changing the tailpiece. If you change it change it because you like the way it looks.
    Thanks for the input!!.....Just got it back...new GHS medium strings and it sounds incredible...love that old school craftsmanship that made America great!