Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: When did you take up the mandolin

Default When did you take up the mandolin

As a 42 year old newbie to the mandolin, I'm wondering at what age everyone decided to start learning it. I'm frustrated that my fingers don't always want to do what my brain tells them to do. I'm thinking that the older you are, the longer it might take to learn.

2. The following members say thank you to Harleyzep for this post:

Default Re: When did you take up the mandolin

A few months ago, age 36. I've played guitar since I was 13 or so, but there was a lot of retraining involved.

It does take longer to learn new things as you age, but I wouldn't worry about it. Play and have fun, not much else matters in this situation.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MediumMando5722 For This Useful Post:

I'm 63,years old started playing ai about the age of 10. And to be honest my fingers still doesn't do what my brain tells them to.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyzep View Post
    I'm thinking that the older you are, the longer it might take to learn.
    The problem with learning anything at 42, is that your have a life competing for your time. If you want to learn like a 15 year old - quit your job, move back with your parents and play 25 hours a week.

What you're experiencing is normal and necessary. It takes time no matter the age - enjoy the ride. The first year... it's kinda bumpy

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark Wilson For This Useful Post:

I took it up around age 58. Over the past five years I would say I have progressed from "beginner" to "borderline mediocre."

Probably 80% of the mandolin players I know are more accomplished than I am. As Chris suggests, I don't worry about it, I just try to have fun with it.

As far as your fingers not doing what your brain tells them to, lately I find I am prone to putting my fingers on the wrong keys while touch typing. . . .
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

10. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I do get frustrated but I am determined. I am not giving up. I may never be an amazing mandolin player but I'm doing this for the fun of it. when I do get something right, it feels great.

49 for me. I have lumpy arthritic knuckles and still have fun. I know I won't ever be a virtuoso. Heck if I take the odd break I am happy. I gig regularly solo. I think the mandolin is just so different from what people usually see around these parts. I'm taking my newest purchase to gig with today, the Dobro.

Have fun, mandolin is the coolest instrument going. Not many people ask about my acoustic guitar.
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

13. The following members say thank you to Barry Wilson for this post:

I started when I was about 25 - but just noodled around on it mostly - learned a few jigs/reels/hornpipes but not to any great level of expertise.

I didn't start putting any real effort in till I was 52.

I am 57 now, and got a bit of catching up to do... In the past it was only ever a hobby, but now I play in front of audiences I notice my shortcomings. - I am pretty good in some areas, and awful in others.

Enjoying the process just the same.
    Colin Bakewell

15. The following members say thank you to cbakewell for this post:

It's actually nice to see that not everyone starts out at the age of 5 and are masters of the mandolin.

I'm 55 now. Started playing mandolin around 4 years ago, but have played guitar since the age of 12 or 13.

I started learning mandolin at age 55, and progressed fairly quickly, but that was because I've played instruments continuously for most of my life. First piano as a kid, then drums as a teenager, then 30+ years as a guitar player before I got around to mandolin. Many of the other folks here on the Cafe (but not all) come from a guitar background, and that's a pretty good jump-start.

But even if you're starting from scratch with no musical background, don't worry too much about the age factor. As long as your hands are working reasonably well, and you can hear the notes, you can make music and have fun!

It's true that reaching the higher skill levels will take more hard work and concentration than if you were a kid, but with enough effort you can get reach the "journeyman" level of playing. For me, that means not trying to be world-class, but reaching a level of competence where you can handle the common repertoire of your chosen styles of music, and you can play along with others. That's all I've ever aimed to do.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyzep View Post
    42 year old
    That's not age, that's the question to the answer

...my fingers don't always want to do what my brain tells them to do.
    That's how it feels, but not as it is. In reality, one part of your brain won't always do what another part tells it to do; and rightfully so, because that first part (1) is doing the practising and finally knows how to play a piece, while the other part (2) can only decide which piece to play and then better get out of the way. What's more, the first part will never tell the other part how playing works, so you'll end up playing music but never understanding how you do it.

(1) - aka procedural memory, acts fast and reliable, but uncontrollable and without explanation. Information input/output by repetitive execution. Walks you downstairs, drives your car, plays your mandolin.
    (2) - aka declarative memory, conscious, documented and organized but slow. Information input/output by words, symbols, concepts. Remembers what to do downstairs, decides where to drive, deals with UPS and PayPal after your mandolin arrived damaged.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I started at 63, but I did play piano as a kid, and played folky guitar for about 15 years. After looking at the cases for 30+ years! I bought a mandolin. My mandolin playing confirms I never was a flat picker.

Learning to practice well is better than unfocused seat time.

Blog Entries

My experience, which may explain nothing and only be what it feels like to me, I find that the older I get the more context everything has. So while it used to be easier to decide to learn something, (and to trust the teachers), these days I have to have a much better reason to put in the effort to learn something. Who am I going to impress? Is getting better at this really what I want, is it really the point?

When asked when did I start, my standard answer is: a lot longer ago than it sounds.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

22. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

When I was born , my father put a mandolin in my lap,,at first, I was like most people,, trying to learn tunes,, but it wasn't until I was probably around 25 or 30 that I put serious study in, and I actually wasnt just playing tunes anymore, I was understanding music,,and improvising. I am 61 now, and I think I hit a plateau,,in the last year, I got nothing really new happening,,my speed has increased to stupid fast ( the one thing I don't need to improve on) and I've gotten sloppier (the one thing I need to improve on).and you know what? I don't care any more, I quit caring,,I play fast and sloppy,,what does this mean ? Nothing, I'm just sitting here alone right now with no one to talk to,,but,,you are 42.. I am 61, look man, you are never to old , you have almost 20 years! To get to my freakin age,,so,hurray for you,that's plenty of time to accomplish some marvelous things on the mandolin,yes, once you understand it, the coolest of instruments....

I started at age 23. I am 63 now.

Blog Entries

Thanks for this thread. I played a bit for few years, learning a bit of mandolin in my 20's. Three years ago, when I was 58, I began to seriously practice and study techniques and skills. I have played the guitar for over 50 years, but the mandolin has become a big part of my music and I love this instrument!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Started at 59 with no musical back round. Now at 61 and with a very good teacher I've moved to advanced beginner.

27. The following members say thank you to Ddd for this post:

I picked mine up at around age 45 but didn't give it much attention until around age 50. That said I have been playing bass and guitar for many years which certainly helped. You can start at any age. It is about the joy of playing.

29. The following members say thank you to Nevin for this post:

Thanks everyone for replying. The lesson that I'm learning is that it's never too late to learn something you're interested in.

31. The following members say thank you to Harleyzep for this post:

Well, I'm awful glad I don't have the notion to take up pole vaulting, but mandolin at age 65 isn't so bad.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

I started to learn to play when I was in my 20's , now I am 67 and still have a lot to learn , and my fingers do everything my brains tells them to do and my memory is sharp , now I'm not bragging but I think its because I play music ,the more you play, those synapse's they just connect ,so the mandolin , Guitar or any musical instrument is good for old and young alike an especially old dudes and older ladies ,learning can be real fun at any age and if it takes you a week to get a tune your working on, well that's just the fun of it
    steven shelton

35. The following members say thank you to stevenmando for this post:

After 10 years on the guitar, I started up on the mandolin 8 years ago at 61. Up until a couple of years ago I quit the mandolin several times selling off many instruments at great prices to the buyers...... Due to some shoulder issues, mandolin is now my main instrument. I have always been weak at any thing requiring hand eye coordination or skills that require fine motor skills. I plug away at playing mandolin, progressing slower than most, but enjoying the "journey". So don't worry about fingers doing what your brain wants. It will come, just not maybe as fast as you want. Just have fun!
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

37. The following members say thank you to Mike Scott for this post:

First picked up a mandolin around age 52. Longtime guitar player. If I have one regret, it's that I didn't start using an metronome sooner.

39. The following members say thank you to Consecon for this post:

Mid 1970's , I'm now 68.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

41. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post: