Thread: Gibson EM 200

Default Gibson EM 200

So I'm in the market for a Gibson EM 200 electric mandolin. I had an ad on this site a few weeks ago seeking one, and I got a few hits. They were for more than I was looking to pay. I wanted a player, not a collector grade instrument There was one on Reverb last fall for about $1300. I wasn't quick enough and it got away. So my question is, what is the value of an EM 200? Year and condition aren't as important as playability. Any ideas?
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Default Re: Gibson EM 200

I've seen them in the $1500 to $2500 range depending on year and condition, so there's a lot of variability right there. Couple that with how infrequently they come up for sale. Most folks tend to hang on to them. Good luck with your hunt.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

So I found the mandolin of my dreams- (thanks mando pop). A well used 50's Gibson Em-200. that is everything I imagined it would be. Although I've got some other very cool electrics, this one pretty much blows them away, except possibly the Gibson EM-150(which has a quite different sound). I'm guessing this is the last mandolin I'll need to buy. But I've said that before.

4. The following members say thank you to Chief for this post:

Chief, glad to see you found what you were looking for, the EM200s are hard to find. I don't think I've seen one under 2K; I have an early 60s EM200 with a compensated aluminum bridge, Price tailpiece, and jumbo frets and I surely wouldn't want to part with it for less than $2500. I would like to hear from you and others about your set up and the what you generally use your EM for. I use mine for blues and jazz standards. I use 3-4 different factory settings found in a Digitech RP250 through a Fender Princeton amp, but I'm always looking for other ideas. Thanks.

Hi Chief,

Congrats on the EM-200. How about a picture or two? I know it's poor form to ask about the price but since you were asking about market values, what did yours set you back? Curiosity...So you have both EM-150 and EM-200, a hollow body and a solid body electrics. That should cover all of your electric mandolin needs. (What else is left?) I'd like to know more about each, year mfg., pickups, etc. and I'm guessing that you play them as 8 stringers, no?

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

My EM-200 came with a different bridge and knobs, although the original ones were included. I play in a couple of groups that play a real eclectic mix of music- from classic country to blues to ??? We've played art museum openings to blues festivals to Bob Dylan's front porch (seriously) to dive bars ( quite a few of those). I'm actually a fiddle player first, so my sound set up revolves around that. I normally play through an Ultrasound 100wt. acoustic amp- with Baggs Venue preamp. I use the built in reverb on the amp. My 200 was said to be a 50's, although without a serial no., I'm not exactly sure. Don't really care I guess. All 150's and 200's use P-90 pickups. Same as a Les Paul- only smaller. As to what I paid for it, lets just say I think I paid a very fair price for it. There are a couple of 200's for sale now at crazy prices. I did my research, and of course used the Cafe as a resource.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Bob Still own the House in Hibbing?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Bob does not own the family house in Hibbing. We actually played at his boyhood home in Duluth (where he was born and lived first 6 years of his life). It was this year on his 75th. birthday, and was for that occasion, and for the unveiling of a plaque in the sidewalk stating that this is where young Bob lived. It was covered by all the local media, the mayor, city councilors, and was attended by people from all over the world. It was quite an honor to play that gig.