Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $500 - $800 price range. What is good? What to avoid?

Default Re: $500 - $800 price range. What is good? What to avoid?

I have always preferred Kentucky over Eastman. Perhaps it is the flat fingerboard...perhaps its width...or the set-up...not really sure. The KM-505 has always been the "standard" for me. Great instrument for the price. I have always thought it was the least expensive mandolin suitable to learn on. An easy playing mandolin is critical in my mind for a student. I have to admit I happened to be able to afford a much more expensive instrument as my first "good" one (Weber "Bighorn"). I started on a Mid-Missouri pancake style I found in a pawn shop for $300 (the pancake mandolins also can be good to start with).
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Enjoy the new mandolin!
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

Learning Mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by fscotte View Post
    A mandolin will feel easier to play if it is responsive. You can have the greatest of setups, but if the thing doesn't dance off your fingers then it will feel overly difficult to play.
    This is the first time I've seen this said. I was in a music store trying out mandolins. They only had three. I'm looking to upgrade from the rogue. There at the shop I tried a 216-dollar Epiphone. After it was tuned. The thing wasn't great, I'm guessing it was factory set. The guy said it was new and he had just put it up on the wall. When I played it, a few times I felt my fingers bounce off the strings. Not like they got thrown away but danced, they came back quick and played it with ease. Granted it was just a glimpse of a moment. I kept messing with it to see if it would do it again. It did it briefly. But that is when I wondered if better made mandolins actually played better. I may get an Epiphone eventually; I just ordered a Kentucky 156 for the upgrade. I'll see how the Kentucky plays. I've read and got advice that they are really good mandolins. Specially to upgrade to from cheaper made ones. But I like your quote and I'm hoping the Kentucky has that dance/bounce. But also reading your quote I realize that I did recognize something in that shop.

Blog Entries

I'd recommend in say the 500-800 price range an old Gibson A model from say the teens-40's! Many are way underrated, and they have that great vintage tone, vibe, collectability, and hold value! Just what I would go with.

Considering the exchange rate, you could probably afford a Sawchyn Beavertail. These are "pancake" instruments, based on the Gibson Army-Navy design. Hand made, with beautiful lively sound.

If you can find one (used) for sale, a Kentucky KM-805 (mine was $600) is a good value, plays better than it cost. But nowhere as good as mid-level instruments (Pava, Collings, Weber.)

Please note: this is a 6 year old thread. The older posters may not even be active on the site anymore.

As for the current poster: a $216 Epiphone is not really a big upgrade from a Rogue. You have to bear in mind that whatever you buy from a big box music store or mail order place will not be set up properly and you might as well buy from a reputable dealer who includes a professional set up. Otherwise you just need to factor in $80-100 for a decent set up. Hopefully your new Kentucky will fill the bill. If not, you might want to set aside some additional cash for a bigger upgrade. Best of luck.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1