Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The search continues...

Default Re: The search continues...

That's so interesting Larry cause I feel like the F5c you have is destined to be back with me.
    You sell that to me and you can have the M23v.

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius View Post
    That's so interesting Larry cause I feel like the F5c you have is destined to be back with me.
    You sell that to me and you can have the M23v.
    Lol

3. The following members say thank you to Larry S Sherman for this post:

Are the Gilchrist that he's bringing to Nashville all special orders? are they spoken for?
    http://www.gilchristmandolins.com/current/

I think one 5 is unspoken for.

5. The following members say thank you to Mark Seale for this post:

Ok well as fate would have it, the specific Gilchrist F5 I was reconsidering is not going to work out.
    Sooooooo..... The Search continues!!!!!!!

I'm sensing some parallels -- basically the search to attain nirvana......a lifetime dedication and determination toward a goal. Well, not quite a lifetime -- just 12 pages, so far........

8. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Schmergel Devastator ?

Refrets, I've had a few . . .

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UlsterMando For This Useful Post:

(Music please)
    Oh when those mandos,
    go marching in,
    oh when the mandos go marrrching in,
    I wanna seeeee what he chooses,
    when those mandos go marching in.
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

12. The following members say thank you to Billy Packard for this post:

Larry really could put an end to all of this...

D
    whichever mando you end up with, you absolutely must put it in one of these cases:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...se-at-elderlys

15. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

Daryl, I know what you're doing lol... You know that once I find a mandolin, the search will continue for a case lol.
    Believe it or not I have three mandolin cases and no mandolin... I have a beautiful brown calton case with
    vintage green interior. that is where I'll house the new/old mandolin

Latest mandolin list:
    1.Brentrup M23v unless Larry Sherman sell me his/my F5c lol
    2.Wiens awesomness model mandolin
    3.Gilchrist model 3 if Carter responds to my email offer
    5.And I think at this point Im still gonna get a Givens A6 either way.
    Im obsessed with them but it doesn't have a truss rod and it would
    never handle the extreme climate changes of travel.

The Campanella at the music emporium was gone by the time I went to call and make an offer.
    How long did that last? like 5 min? ha.. Also to whoever bought that mandolin, you stink.. but Im happy for you anyway..

17. The following members say thank you to Demetrius for this post:

Daryl, I know what you're doing lol... You know that once I find a mandolin, the search will continue for a case lol.
    Believe it or not I have three mandolin cases and no mandolin... I have a beautiful brown calton case with
    vintage green interior.

Latest mandolin list:
    1.Brentrup M23v unless Larry Sherman sell me his/my F5c lol
    2.Wiens awesomness model mandolin
    3.Gilchrist model 3 if Carter responds to my email offer
    5.And I think at this point Im still gonna get a Givens A6 either way.
    Im obsessed with them but it doesn't have a truss rod and it would
    never handle the extreme climate changes of travel.

The Campanella at the music emporium was gone by the time I went to call and make an offer.
    How long did that last? like 5 min? ha..
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...-of-a-mandolin
    the thought immediately crossed my mind upon watching it cross over to SOLD
    Demetrius!

That thing looked perfect Daryl... I think whoever bought it should read this thread and sell it right over to me. haha!

I have one of Joe's A models. You'd be hard pressed to find a better mandolin- anywhere.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

21. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Yeh Im bummed I missed out on that...

Joe was Larry Smart's apprentice for two years

http://acousticmusicworks.com/mandol...ectacular-4750

This is a great price for this.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

24. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Demetrius, there is another model 3 in the classifieds here for less than the one at Carters.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/100872#100872
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

26. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Another morning, another new video to share:

http://themusicianswife.weebly.com/h...ave-a-mandolin

Onward we go...

28. The following members say thank you to The Musician's Wife for this post:

This thread is a reality TV show

Last edited by Canoedad; Aug-02-2016 at 9:34am. Reason: To say that it "is" a reality TV show, not "like" one

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Canoedad For This Useful Post:

I've never played a Campanella but the videos of them have always sounded great. I love the aesthetic!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Canoedad View Post
    This thread is a reality TV show

Naw, we're good. Nobody's flipped a table yet or pulled anyone else's hair.....

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

If this thread is not actually some kind of a put-on -- as some have speculated, because it's so absurd -- then I think it's time for some tough love, here! So here goes. Yes, we all love mandolins here on the Cafe, but most of us can only dream of being able to drop five figures or more on the purchase of a truly high-end instrument. And by the time any of us are spending in excess of $10,000 on the next mandolin, we tend to be rather accomplished players, with "educated ears," a great deal of accumulated knowledge about luthiers, and a whole lot of personal listening experience under our belt. But not you.

Now, along you come, with -- seemingly -- a whole lot more money than common sense. Or playing experience, for that matter. You say you want to buy a really high-end mandolin, and ask the MC for input, much of which you seem to have ignored. And you agonize endlessly, unable to make up your mind. You don't even own a mandolin, and now there's an awful video of you lying in bed and whining to your wife about that, which she posted. Most of us would be would be truly embarrassed to have something like that show up in a public forum. And most of us would not be reduced to zero mandolins, yet attempting to buy some of the highest-priced ones out there. To me, you seem more like an obsessed collector with an impressive bankroll than an impressive player. A real mandolin player who can afford an instrument in the $10,000+ range would never get down to zero mandolins, because he or she would likely own one or more lesser instruments before springing for a Gilchrist, Wiens, Brentrup, Nugget, or what-have-you.

Then there's the profound silliness associated with your recent (failed) purchase -- and return -- of a fabulous, $16,000+ Gilchrist F5 from Gryphon Instruments, one of the leading shops in our nation. You bought this mandolin without even listening to it, or so it seems. And you promptly returned it because -- what?!? -- you were shocked, SHOCKED, that the binding was loose in some places, the finish had some crazing, and the setup was sub-optimal. You very clearly don't understand high-end mandolins. Lots of these have finish crazing; it makes little difference. Loose binding is easily re-glued for a negligible cost compared to the mandolin. And the setup?! Well, the setup is so easy to fix that any competent mandolin luthier, and many of us players as well, are able to adjust this to perfection. Not only that, but according to you, Gryphon offered to remedy these trivial issues, but you decided against that because you'd developed cold feet, or buyers' remorse, or some other silly feeling. Oh, for goodness' sake, man!

So now you are back to searching, and endless (and mostly pointless) online speculation. Earlier in this thread, I advised you to educate your head and ears FIRST before plunking down such a thick wad of cash. Very clearly, you lack that education. And you failed to heed my advice. I advised you to buy a plane ticket to Nashville, and visit Carter Vintage Guitars and Gruhns Guitars, and play every mandolin in their shops (over 200, I reckon). There, you will find Gilchrists, Altmans, Hendersons, Wiens, Brentrups, Heidens, Nuggets, Ellis's, Duffs, Kimbles, etc., GALORE. And scads of Gibsons, including the RS DMM and the occasional Lloyd Loar-signed Gibson F5 from 1922-4. You will be able to get that education that you very desperately need. It will be lots of fun, besides! And the cost of this little field trip, at around $1,000, will simply pale in comparison to what you're thinking about spending on an instrument. So think of it as a kind of "buyer's insurance," or perhaps as an investment in your musical education. A wise investment.

Never, ever buy a high-end mandolin without hearing and seeing it first. Unless you really, really know what you're doing, that is. And you don't.

I realize this sounds mean (sorry), but I'm trying to be honest here, and to reiterate some good advice. Your impetuous -- and frankly, embarrassing -- 'journey' to this point has raised a lot of eyebrows here on the Mandoln Cafe, I can assure you. Keep most of your money in your pocket until you are more sure about what you're doing. And while you're seeking that ultimate instrument (ain't no such thing, I reckon'), you might consider buying a "lesser" mandolin just to tide you over -- if nothing else, so you'll stop making those awful, whining videos that your wife posts. Most of us here would be deliriously happy plunking along on a Kentucky, Eastman, Weber, The Loar, Northfield, or whatever until The One happens to come along.

There is MAS, and then there's MAS. Tough love, indeed.
    Last edited by sblock; Aug-02-2016 at 12:12pm.

34. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

Dem
    have you noticed the Monteleone F at Mandomutt

http://www.mandomutt.com/products-pa...leone-f-5-fern

36. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Josh Levine For This Useful Post:

Man, sblock, you sure are a grouch.

Don't read it if it bothers you.

Otherwise, as the old ones say, "If you don't have something nice to say don't say nothing at all."
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

40. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Billy Packard For This Useful Post:

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

Sblock, I met Demetrius at a house concert probably 6 years ago in Atlanta. At that point, he had 2 great, very high quality mandolins in the 5 digit range-So he is experienced in mandolins. And he was mandolin crazy then as well. He is a good player, was part of a band that toured so he is an experienced player.

I've bought multiple very high end mandolins without playing first and just payed shipping back multiple times and others have done the same to me. That's the point of buying on approval. In general, the vast majority of what you wrote is you making assumptions that aren't true-many experienced players and collectors buy and sell without playing first. If that weren't the case, why have the classifieds at all? That's where I've bought and sold many mandolins btw, including the 2 I own right now-each without playing first. It's also not much different than having one built really as you can't play those first.

If the powers that be want to kick him off and stop this then let them, that's their right-but you don't speak for everyone here. Plenty of people relate to the guy, even if he has the most aggressive case of MAS I've ever seen to the point of caricature. My wife actually has subscribed to his wife's blog because she sees similarities to my own bouts of MAS (Albeit less aggressive).

I think he's being real and don't see the point of bad-mouthing him. And even if not, who cares, its entertaining. Are you really looking for another thread on if Loars are worth it or what spruce is best?

42. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Atlanta Mando Mike For This Useful Post:

Sblock

not fair, not nice

d
    Last edited by darylcrisp; Aug-02-2016 at 2:04pm.

44. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to darylcrisp For This Useful Post: