Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 12345627 ... LastLast

Thread: The search continues...

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Default Re: The search continues...

Demetrius-- what are you playing now and why do you want to change? Just curious.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius View Post
    Hi Jim,

Thanks for the feed back, I get what you're saying... I may end up traveling to some places.
    As far as what I'm playing these days, up until a month ago I was pickin on a Dudenbostel F-5.
    Before that, a Brunkalls A-5, before that a Brentrup F-5c, and before that a Gibson Distressed
    Mastermodel. All great mandolins, but if I could have one back it would be the Brentrup F-5c.
    Maybe the current owner will sell it back to me one day, (you know who you are)..
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    Demetrius-- what are you playing now and why do you want to change? Just curious.
    Paul: I asked the same question and he answered above. It sounds like the search for ultimate perfection which I agree with previous poster, might be impossible in reality. OTOH it is fun to try to get near that goal. On the third hand, it sounds like Demetrius has been pretty near that place a number of times.

BTW what is the difference between a Brentrup M23v and an F5c? Is it that M23 is copy of a specific Loar whereas F5c is general classic F5?
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Jul-11-2016 at 9:26am.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

It sounds like the OP does not have a mandolin right now.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    It sounds like the OP does not have a mandolin right now.
    Hmmmm... I cannot imagine selling off every mandolin I own and not have at least one to play.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I may have assumed incorrectly, but he doesn't mention a "current" mandolin.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Mandobar, you are absolutely correct! Currently there is not a mandolin
    In my collection of instruments. This is why I seem a little insane...

7. The following members say thank you to Demetrius for this post:

There is a Hester F-5 for sale, anyone know anything about those?
    Also, I got some video clips and great photos of 3 Hogan mandolins.
    The guy can build...

Take a deep breath, D. Remember instruments are easier to buy than to sell.

10. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

We need a mandolin lending library so Demetrius can take his time finding one he loves. Actually, after re-reading his posts, it seems like there are many he loves. Commitment can be difficult esp when presented by multiple possibilities. The OP started with 5 possibilities but now I see that he has added a few more and additional possible makers to explore.

Knowing how many excellent makers are out there, I think if I were in his position I might go insane. In actual fact, tho, I am already insane, so maybe it makes no difference. OTOH I do have plenty of mandolins I love to play in my house.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Mando bar and Jim... You've both hit the nail on the head...
    "Option shock"

Well, many of your fellow mandolin players here in the Mandolin Cafe can easily identify with your desire to get the best-possible sounding mandolin. But most of us are bewildered to learn that you would divest yourself of all mandolins in that process. I, for one, just can't imagine doing that, myself! Perhaps, at heart, you're something more of a instrument collector, but less of a mandolin player? Or perhaps the mandolin is just not your main love as an instrument? Otherwise, this behavior makes no sense to me at all. It can't be about the money, because most of us don't have the financial wherewithal to have previously owned such pricey instruments as a Dudenbostel, a Brentrup, and a Gibson Distressed Master Model -- as you have. Yow: those instruments are mostly up in the $10,000-$20,000 range. You'd think that with that kind of investment (not to mention all your other instruments), you'd also own a "beater" mandolin in the $3,000-$6,000 range: one that would probably outplay 90% of the instruments that others have here on the Mandolin Cafe.

Still, despite not being able to identify with your predicament, I suppose many of us would love to have this "problem" -- the ability to invest ~$20,000 in an instrument, and "option shock" about the many possibilities that it entails.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

"Option shock"
    Well, if it were me and after playing a decent number of mandolins, I think I would opt for a Nugget A (given my budget and assuming I sold a god many of my other instruments. However, considering your statement about your long lost Brentrup, I would just pick one of these: Brentrups for sale.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

17. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Wow! There are some beauties on Brentrups for sale. How could you choose by looks? If they sound as good as they look, Incredible!

19. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Well, if it were me and after playing a decent number of mandolins, I think I would opt for a Nugget A (given my budget and assuming I sold a god many of my other instruments. However, considering your statement about your long lost Brentrup, I would just pick one of these: Brentrups for sale.
    Thanks for the link! The picture of Charley Rappaport holding the blacktop 3 point made me smile. A great musician holding a stunning mandolin. Perfect.

21. The following members say thank you to Steve Roberts for this post:

Yes the Brentrup in the lineup Im looking at is one of the most pretty mandolins you'll ever see...

Those are old ads. The black three pointer is long sold.

Blog Entries

"Option shock"
    The way to get past option shock is to realize two things:

No matter what you decide, you will regret it. You have some great options, and to some small extent you will always regret the unchosen ones. (In the same way, whatever you chose, through playing it often, you will come to love it and to believe it was the perfect choice.)

No matter what you decide, there is a good chance this is not the last mandolin you will ever acquire. Four mandolins ago I purchased the last mandolin I would ever want. And I am not profligate.

The funnest part of the adventure is playing the darn thing.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

25. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

I've actually never played a Gilchrist A.
    This is in the classifieds at I think a very good price.
    Does anyone know how they compare to
    The F's?

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/99788#99788

P.S. Yes another one added to the list.

hillbilly lion tamer Wilbur James's Avatar

I would go for the Gilchrist.
    Dignity, Respect and Love, for who they are, not what they are.

I've actually never played a Gilchrist A.
    This is in the classifieds at I think a very good price.
    Does anyone know how they compare to
    The F's?

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/99788#99788

P.S. Yes another one added to the list.
    Joe Walsh played/plays one. It sounds great in his hands. I heard him a few years ago on this mandolin when he played with the Gibson Brothers.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Actually then I take it back, I have played a Gilchrist A.
    I've played Joes black top. He got a nugget A recently that was pretty ridiculously good in every way.

Actually I double take it back, I played a Gilchrist blonde A too.
    Very fancy. Both were not what I love... I am into lots of sustain.
    I love Engleman which is probably why I loved the sound of the Givens.
    Any mandolin I've played with an Engleman top has had this quality I love.
    The only thing is none cut through very well aside from the Givens.

Sustain...? The best f-holes with sustain in my book (I hate to say it) are Monteleone's beauties. A friend has a Baby Grand from the 1980s that is among my top mandolins ever and I have also played one of the super rare A models he made. Sustain and sweetness all the way up the neck.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

32. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Yeh I mean don't get me wrong the Gils were great mandolins in every way. But just too dry
    For what I do. I like semi dark, tons of sustain with over tones. A nice complex mandolin.
    Engleman and German spruce both seem to have that sonic quality

- - - Updated - - -

I've dreamed about a monti baby grand.

You need a Heiden with an Engelmann top!

35. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post: