Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: The search continues...

Default Re: The search continues...

DUDE!?!

just getting ready to say,

"Dem, this thread is dying, we need some action"......................

Blog Entries

Nice Wiens just appeared in the classifieds...

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/101424#101424

Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

5. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

This thread has the potential to hit 50 pages ...
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    Nice Wiens just appeared in the classifieds...

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/101424#101424

I wonder why the owner is selling after less than two weeks? There must be something seriously wrong with it. I think I will pass. But I am sure at that price (FIRM no less!) it won't last long.

8. The following members say thank you to Franc Homier Lieu for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Franc Homier Lieu View Post
    ...selling after less than two weeks? There must be something seriously wrong with it.
    ...or with the seller, or with his budget.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

10. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

I think this whole episode has gone just a little too far.

Again, a lot of good advice has been posted in this thread. It wouldn't be a bad idea to reconsider some of it that has not been followed to date.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

12. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

sblock 

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    ...or with the seller
    The thought never occurred to me.

I've been a skeptic of Dem's reasoning and search from the beginning and really thought this was some sort of social media experiment. However, watching some of the videos and listening to Dem's style, I knew he was making a mistake buying a mandolin that is cloning the "loar" tone. This is traditionally a bluegrasser's instrument. I think he needs and wants a mandolin with a more modern tone and lots of sustain. Just the opposite of what he has in the Wiens, or any other gibson clone, which should be dry with fast decaying notes and tonally mid-range centric.

My advice is to concentrate on mandolins that have an Engelmann or Italian spruce top. If you can't find a Gilchrist with Engelmann, then look at a nice Collings MF5V with hard maple back and Engelmann/Italian spruce top. These, in my opinion, would be perfect for your style.
    Last edited by KMaynard; Aug-15-2016 at 6:13am. Reason: typo

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KMaynard For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KMaynard View Post
    I've been a skeptic about Dem's reasoning and search from the beginning and thought this was some sort of social media experiment.
    I think 'experiment' is giving too much credit. It seems clear enough to me that Demetrius likes the attention he is getting from this thread more than he likes playing any mandolin. The only way to keep this thread (and the utterly redundant blog) going is to keep buying high end mandolins after pretending to consult with cafe members and then change his mind minutes after declaring the most recent purchase 'a keeper.' He has exactly zero credibility left, but people will ignore that and continue to make suggestions.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Franc Homier Lieu For This Useful Post:

I agree. I knew the Weins wasn't a good fit from the start. Demetrius is making a mistake in his evsluation process. I know, because I've done it myself. Often times, an instrument "tests" well, but the test criteria that one uses are not relevant to their natural playing style.

Everyone likes to pick up a mandolin and go Thunk, Thunk.....beat it down low, then see how much gas it has up high.....Beat it. Tickle it. Beat it some more.....
    But a good bit of that is not applicable to real-world playing. The idea is to find a companion, not merely an instrument that "shows well".

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barry For This Useful Post:

Well said KMaynard. I could not agree with you more. Demetrius could even go with a Collings MT2V with an Englemann Spruce top and a hard maple back. I have been trying to suggest to him that there are alternatives to all the Gibson Loar copies. They are great mandolins but as you say they may not suit his style.

My advice Demetrius is to go down to Carter Vintage for a weekend in Nashville and have a holiday with your wife and get away from the computer, Ipad, or Iphone and play the hell out of every mandolin there until you find the one with the right tone, touch, playability, and lastly but not least looks. Get this MAS out of your system. No mandolin is ever going to be perfect.

One thing I can say when you get beyond your current craze, you will feel relieved when you are no longing searching for a mandolin and you are content with what you have. I remember seeing you had a Collings MT2 a year ago. Maybe you should have stuck with it and worked the tone you wanted out of it. If Adam Steffey, Mike Marshall, Matt Flinner and a host of others can do it, we can all do it. That is what I have learnt. Work with what you have got. You will surprise yourself.

O what the heck you could even try one of these beautiful mandolins:

https://vimeo.com/171202098
    Nic Gellie

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nick Gellie For This Useful Post:

Two days at Carter's and I came home with a Girouard Mandola. This after just commissioning a Nyberg, you guessed it, mandola. What a great experience. I am not sure if I could afford too many more visits to Carter's however. Now back to this thread, the MC Reality Show. I know from the experience of the last week that I can only go a few days of serious looking without getting hooked. Also, for me, the buying experience, cries for an end, unlike this thread. I want closure. And usually the choices are after a short time pretty narrow. Once in a while a new thought comes to mind, but after playing mandolin family for twenty years and being a regular cafe participant for about the same length of time, not many new ideas surprise me (Brentrup V8 and Sorensen VX aside). Guess I'm not much for drama either. Oh well, time to play the Girouard and put this thread to bed.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

23. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post:

To riff on Hendrex:
    "...and the wind cries...Kardashian."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The idea is to find a companion, not merely an instrument that "shows well".
    This is gigantic. Well said.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Maybe it's time to look for a Monteleone Style B. Listen to some of Paul Glasse's recordings, that mandolin has as musical a voice as any I've heard.

Blog Entries

Dem just needs to find the "ONE", nothing wrong with searching and trying a bunch to find one that speaks to him. When he finds it there should be no doubt no regrets just happy bliss, For some of us its an obsession, I found my ONE but hey always lookin, When I should be playing....Happy Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    Dem just needs to find the "ONE", nothing wrong with searching and trying a bunch to find one that speaks to him. When he finds it there should be no doubt no regrets just happy bliss, For some of us its an obsession, I found my ONE but hey always lookin, When I should be playing....Happy Hunting
    People should also keep in mind that many factors affect the sound of a mandolin (e.g. strings, pick, weather, etc.). A mando might sound amazing one day, and in a different environment sound lacking. What I'm trying to say is, no mandolin will sound "perfect" all of the time. The three factors I look at when trying mandolins are feel in my hands/playability, volume, and tone. I've played a good number that have all three.

Blog Entries

Maybe once you've dated a supermodel, the prettiest girl in town is not enough.

Cleanse your palate. Play a $50 mandolin without a setup for 30 days and try the Wiens again

Long thread here, but starting to feel like a "victim" of a con game. Sure, I've been entertained. But, like our favorite television characters, we have an emotional investment in hoping our protagonist finds what he is looking for. Turns out, he doesn't even know, himself!

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

Twenty-six pages!!??

Please refer to the Department of Redundancy Department.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

34. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

sblock 

Hopefully the well-known shops with high end mandolin's don't catch drift of this rather....strange catch and release thing. I'd be hesitant to sell to someone like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric C. View Post
    Hopefully the well-known shops with high end mandolin's don't catch drift of this rather....strange catch and release thing. I'd be hesitant to sell to someone like this.
    Too late. They have ALL seen it.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I really see nothing wrong with Demetrius. He is just doing what many of us have done. The only difference is he went public with the process on the forum.

There are a great deal of (non-dealer) individuals who frequently sell fine instruments in the classified section of this website. Those guys are no different than Demetrius, or me.......or possibly you.

They just don't have wives who find the sport interesting enough to blog about.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to barry For This Useful Post: