Thread: 0 sized Oscar Schmidt Stella

Default 0 sized Oscar Schmidt Stella

Found this for sale somewhat locally on Craigslist. Picking her up Saturday. It'll need a bridge, neck set, and possibly a refret. That being said, Jake Wildwood at Antebellum Instruments, who does my repairs, says it will be well worth it and that the 0 size body is very rare on these. I hope it's in somewhat decent shape.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ostenor1.JPG 
Views:	213 
Size:	650.8 KB 
ID:	148066

Name:	ostenor2.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	803.0 KB 
ID:	148067

Name:	ostenor3.JPG 
Views:	179 
Size:	565.0 KB 
ID:	148068

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whatitis For This Useful Post:

foxMdJ 

Default Re: 0 sized Oscar Schmidt Stella

Sweet find! I'm sure Jake will get it singing pretty!
    Chuck

Holy mother of toilet seat Batman!

I am sure Jake will get this little beauty up and singing again. Is it ladder braced?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

5. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

I'm not sure. I'll see it in person tomorrow.

Yep she's ladder braced. Needs a bit more work than I thought but I drove 2 hours...you know how that ended. One brace fell out, another is loose. There is a bit of seam separation on the back at the lower bout. There are also a couple tight cracks that will need to be cleated I think. Bridge is shot and neck angle is awful. What I thought was a black finish on the back and sides is a very alligatored and dirty faux rosewood finish on the birch. This will likely cost more than it's worth but I have this soft spot for cool old instruments. I won't be able to put the money into this one for awhile, but I have hope that it will sound great when it's done.

8. The following members say thank you to whatitis for this post:

fox 

Nice find. The square shoulders argue against it being an 0 - more like an OM.

I believe this is typical of a single 0 - http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...=1#post1506434
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

That looks like a parlor to my eye, but I'm no expert on guitar sizes. I haven't measured it to compare to various size charts, but the lower bout is slightly wider than my other tenor that was advertised as a 00 and has a 14" lower bout. http://antebelluminstruments.blogspo...-valencia.html The upper bout looks about the same.

So it looks like they both have a 14" lower bout, 10" upper, and are both 19" long. This puts them between a concert single 0 and a grand concert 00. I really like that I wound up with two guitars from two different makers that have nearly identical dimensions.