Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Best To Remove Chrome from and Resonator Mandolin

Default How Best To Remove Chrome from and Resonator Mandolin

I have an old 'Vintage' brand resonator mandolin - it isn't worth much, but it has sentimental value and still has uses in 'cutting through' the guitars in the Irish band I play in.

It looks pretty rough, and isn't worth making it look 'new' again, so I want to give a 'trashy' make over.

I had the idea of stripping off the chrome and either going with what is underneath, or giving it new coating (paint? or what?).

Looking for advice on how best to get rid of the chrome, and ideas for what to do thereafter.

thanks in advance
    Colin Bakewell

Default Re: How Best To Remove Chrome from and Resonator Mandolin

get it sand-blasted

3. The following members say thank you to murrmac for this post:

Give it a long soak in River Mersey

5. The following members say thank you to mandolinstew for this post:

Talk to a plating shop. It might not be that costly to strip and replate the parts.

7. The following members say thank you to CarlM for this post:

A plating shop can reverse the polarity in the tank and eat away the plating, leaving a matte texture. For replating you must remove 100% of the old plating. One reason this is seldom done is that the erosion in the electroplating bath has a preference for sharp edges and corners - by the time the last of the plating is gone, some features of the original body shape will have degraded. Another reason is that the matte texture is not easily polished out, if you want high gloss.

Check to see if a magnet acts on the body - if so you've got brass. Partially removed plating and matte brass (once it tarnishes) might be a suitably trashy look. If it's steel, maybe not so nice. You could also try applying a strong acid to superficially mess with the finish - that might not do much if it's really chrome, but nickel is a lot more reactive.

If you want to paint it, prep with sandblast and automotive primer for good adhesion.

9. The following members say thank you to John Morton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by John Morton View Post
    Check to see if a magnet acts on the body - if so you've got brass.
    I realize everybody knows what you actually meant to say, but you might still want to edit it ...

11. The following members say thank you to murrmac for this post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

It looks pretty rough, and isn't worth making it look 'new' again, so I want to give a 'trashy' make over.
    Umm....doesn't it already look trashy enough?
    Living’ in the Mitten

Is there pitting?

Without a picture I really can't speak to the age of the instrument but if it's old enough it might not be chrome plated, it might be nickel plated. Have you simply tried buffing it a bit to see how it comes out?

If you're looking for a quick and dirty refinish job why not just primer and paint it?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by John Morton View Post
    Check to see if a magnet acts on the body - if so you've got brass.
    Right, thanks murrmac. The magnet works on mild steel, but not brass.

Thanks for all the replies.

It looks 'rough' as in 'will never pass as new again no matter what' - I am aiming for 'much rougher than that, but with character'.

yes, that is a kind of inverse vanity

I am away from the instrument at the moment, but once I am back I will try the magnet test - if it isn't magnetic, I'll do a bit of scraping where it won't show and see what is beneath - if that looks good, then 'partial removing of the plating' sounds good.

Otherwise, primer and paint sounds the easiest - I quite fancy the idea of a black finish

thanks again for the replies.
    Colin Bakewell

Otherwise, primer and paint sounds the easiest - I quite fancy the idea of a black finish
    A stealth resonator -they won't notice it until the twang is upon them

18. The following members say thank you to derbex for this post:

I've had a lot of success in painting chrome by using an etching primer first to key it, and over painting to the colour you like.
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

20. The following members say thank you to G7MOF for this post:

A google search throws up at least 3 electroplaters in Stockport (there used to be a good one on Hillgate but I think they have gone). The last thing they did for me was a pair of motorbike forks which I had bead blasted and stove primed which resulted in a really good durable finish.

If you have a hankering for black, you could go the whole hog and ask them to do you a black epoxy finish.

22. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by G7MOF View Post
    I've had a lot of success in painting chrome by using an etching primer first to key it, and over painting to the colour you like.
    thanks - I'll add that to the task list
    Colin Bakewell

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    If you have a hankering for black, you could go the whole hog and ask them to do you a black epoxy finish.
    Sounds good to me
    Colin Bakewell

The mere thought of dunking a chrome plated dobro-mandolin into a stripping tank fills me with dread - don't even think of doing it.
    The plated parts were plated before assembly (obvious). You'd have to re-dunk it again for re-plating & pray to the good Lord that the neck wasn't affected & that any plating solution was drained fromthe inside.

If you did want to try re-plating,then contact these guys - ''The Gold Plating Company'' They carry out a number of 'brushed plating' processes & maybe could do something for you :- http://www.goldplating1.co.uk/works.php#all They're not too far away in Bolton. Send them a couple of photos & ask what they can do for you,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

26. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

F-style Apostate

Since no one has mentioned it yet, maybe blasting it to remove the chrome and then having it powder coated would be nice.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick Lindstrom For This Useful Post:

I made the assumption we were talking about the cover not the entire mandolin being chrome.

And I was wrong, it is a total metal body. I'd probably just leave that alone if that was me. Assuming it's the one in the video the OP posted in another thread.

Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Jul-23-2016 at 9:50am.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    The mere thought of dunking a chrome plated dobro-mandolin into a stripping tank fills me with dread - don't even think of doing it.
    The plated parts were plated before assembly (obvious). You'd have to re-dunk it again for re-plating & pray to the good Lord that the neck wasn't affected & that any plating solution was drained fromthe inside.

If you did want to try re-plating,then contact these guys - ''The Gold Plating Company'' They carry out a number of 'brushed plating' processes & maybe could do something for you :- http://www.goldplating1.co.uk/works.php#all They're not too far away in Bolton. Send them a couple of photos & ask what they can do for you,
    Ivan
    Metal bodies are soldered together before being polished and plated. The stripping process acts differently on the plating, the solder joints and the parent metal. It will be a holy mess by the time the plating is gone. The plating shop will tell you something like that.

Sandblasting is ineffective for removing plating, I'd suggest it only as a prep for primer. Actually scrubbing with a silicon carbide sandpaper is just as good for that.

Brush plating might work for small areas, but I'm betting they would blend poorly with the original plating, and the result would not be the "trashy" you're hoping to get.
    Last edited by John Morton; Jul-23-2016 at 11:39am.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Morton For This Useful Post:

Thanks for adding the 'add-on' warnings John. Reverse plating is the ONLY proper way of removing existing plating & that isn't going to happen in this case (i hope !). You're also correct re.sand blasting. It could remove the plating,but it would have to be so severe that i reckon it would remove most of the mandolin as well. Colin didn't say whether the existing chrome is worn through (think banjo armrests) or actually flaking off. If it's one or the other,a different solution to the problem will be required.

Only a really good plating shop would be able to say what they can / can't achieve,hence my suggestion of contacting the Gold Plating Co.
    My personal solution would be to leave it as it is - in it's naturally distressed state,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

34. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

I have never tried it on chrome but off oven cleaner removes anodizing really well
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

36. The following members say thank you to Barry Wilson for this post:

Anodising creates an artificial layer of ''oxidisation'' on metal. This prevents further ''unwanted'' oxidisation. Chrome is a metal in itself & may the good Lord forbid that we have oven cleaners which will ''remove'' our ovens - it creates quite an amusing mental image though,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I made the assumption we were talking about the cover not the entire mandolin being chrome.

And I was wrong, it is a total metal body. I'd probably just leave that alone if that was me. Assuming it's the one in the video the OP posted in another thread.
    Yeah - thats the one

I am planning on replacing the cone with a better quality Delta one, and redoing the biscuit bridge which is currently one I made myself from an old school ruler after the first one collapsed.

As I said, it's got sentimental value that justifies me making it 'play nice' again - I am never going to sell it, so not bothered about resale value.
    Colin Bakewell

Thanks for all the plating advice - much appreciated.

I think I will follow the path of least resistance - a damn good clean first, then decide if 'further distressing' and/or 'painting black' is needed. It might that a good 'dulling' of the shine with the right grade of abrasive wool/sandpaper.
    Colin Bakewell