Thread: Captain corelli's mandolin first song

Shayan Givehchian

Default Captain corelli's mandolin first song

Hey guys I'm looking for tabs or the link to the original versions of this song.
    It's a great tune.
    Thanks
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3-yoznx_B78

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: Captain corelli's mandolin first song

This may require more than one post . . .

Not sure what you mean by a link to the original versions of the song? The following might help in that regard:

The title is Pelagia's Song, and it was written by Stephen Warbeck who wrote the score for the movie.

1. Here is the official soundtrack orchestra and vocal arrangement of Pelagia's Song

2. Here is the original movie scene in which Nicky Gage plays a mandolin arrangement:

3. Here is a much better video of Thomas Brady (same guy in your original post above) playing the complete arrangement with guitar backing from the movie soundtrack:

Again, not sure what you meant by "link to the original version" but in my opinion, the second two videos I've posted here would be the most useful if I were to work out how to play this score on mandolin.

I wish you luck with finding an easy mandolin tab; I looked for this months ago and came up short. You may purchase piano sheet music for this score in numerous places, do a Google search, here is one example (NFI):
    http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic...?ppn=MN0095346

You may also find numerous TABs in text form for guitar, most not very good IMO, if you dig around a bit. One was posted at the end of this thread: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...a%27s-Song-Tab

Sorry I can't give a simple answer like, "Here is the TAB you're looking for." See next post.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Getting TABs for this music:

Intro
    I have made similar posts in this section before, it is meant for encouragement to stretch your musical muscles. You can learn to play this without looking at written music, and you may even be able to produce your own tablature for it to share with others. In the original video you posted, you see Thomas Brady doing exactly what I would do in this situation, and with some effort on your part you could probably do it too. What you do is watch and listen to the Nick Cage video (#2 in my post above) and take one small bit at a time. Watch his hands and fingers where visible, and more importantly, hear the notes and sounds and try to imitate the sounds on your mandolin. Mr. Brady did this, and posted two progress videos to showcase his progress doing this, before making the final video (#3) that I posted above. In your case, or in my case if I were to do the same, we now have Mr. Brady's video there which gives a constant shot of his hand position throughout the performance, which will make this even easier to do.

Producing a TAB
    If you want to produce a TAB that will help others with this in the future, you can use a program to help you with that. There are many available; I use TablEdit program. With a minimal amount of music theory knowledge and a little familiarity with that program you can enter the notes into tablature/notation as you figure them out. This is great exercise for any musician, budding musician, amateur or professional musician. It is not necessary to write the music down - but it has many, many advantages. You'll always have it thereafter to remember the song you've learned. You can easily make corrections and track them, and make subtle changes as you change the ways you approach the arrangement. And you can share with others. Many folk who learn tunes and perform them on YouTube fail to do this, for whatever reason. If you do not know how to go about this, now would be a good time to learn, since you are interested in learning this music and also believe that TABS should be freely available on the internet.

Learning the Music
    You can figure chords by finding one note at a time on your own mandolin in the vicinity of the neck where the performer has his hand position in the video. Then, write dots on a chord chart so you will remember the chord; and put the chord into tablature. You find individual notes the same way. The best way to do this is to slow down the video. You can search this forum to learn how to slow down YouTube videos, as there has been plenty of discussion on this in the past. You can do this for free with a few clicks at YouTube. However, there are software programs that make this much easier. The one I use and recommend is called Transcribe!

Final Word of Encouragement
    You can teach yourself this music for free even without written TAB, by trial and error. There will be some time and effort involved, but the payoff will be worth it. That is what Thomas Brady has done, and the results can be seen in video #3 I posted above. You can do it by going to YouTube with mandolin in hand, and copying what Mr. Brady is doing. You can slow down the video to help you do this.

Also, for modest investments, you can purchase programs that will make this much easier. TablEdit is a good one for writing music and for using TABs in .tef format, of which there are plenty that are ready-made; you may already have this, if not, it might be a good idea to consider it. Transcribe! is a good one for slowing down mp3's and mp4's including video,and does a whole lot more than slow them down, it's a great tool. There is also The Amazing Slowdowner and many others. In fact, there is an extensive list of such programs at the Transcribe! website, look through their pages of information. Their program is good enough that they do not fear to offer links to a few dozen competitive programs right there.

You can learn to figure out music by ear with your instrument in hand, and you can learn to use the many aids available these days to make the job easier. If you choose to do any of this, it will pay dividends for the rest of your musical life.

- YouTube Stuff

Finally, a beautiful rendition on classical guitar by Danny Holland, enjoy!

- YouTube Stuff