Thread: Giuseppe Manente (1867-1941): "Rêverie de poète", with score

Default Giuseppe Manente (1867-1941): "Rêverie de poète", with score

Giuseppe Manente (1867-1941): "Rêverie de poète", andante appassionato

Giuseppe Manente was an Italian military band leader and composer (the score says he was "Chef de Musique de l'armee Italienne") who wrote prolifically for mandolin ensemble or orchestra, along with two operas and many pieces for other instrumentation. This particular piece for mandolin orchestra still seems to be widely performed -- there are 24 (!) other recordings already on Youtube, including two live recordings by "Het Consort" directed by Alex Timmerman. The piece is technically pretty straightforward, but is a good exercise for controlled dynamics and expressive tremolo. I attach the score from the Nakano Archive.

My own recording is as a mandolin quintet of two mandolins, mandola (waldzither), tenor guitar and mandocello.

1890s Umberto Ceccherini mandolin (x2)
    1925 Zimmermann waldzither
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Manente-G-MM16-35.pdf  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Default Re: Giuseppe Manente (1867-1941): "Rêverie de poète", with score

Nicely done, Martin!
    Lovely piece. I liked the he underlying triplets against the melodic line, similar to Schubert's, Ave Maria.
    Thanks for providing the score so I could follow along.
    Here's the Het Consort performing the same music:
    Last edited by Bill Clements; Jul-24-2016 at 11:15am.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

Thanks, Bill!

Het Consort and Alex seem to really like this piece, as there are in fact three (!) concert recordings of theirs on Youtube, the 2007 recording you've linked, a 2011 recording dedicated to Alison Stephens (link), and the newest and best quality one from 2014:

The most intriguing, and most professionally recorded, performance I have found is by the Korean quintet "Animato Mandolin Ensemble", who appear to be playing modern Embergher copies, with a very nice bowlback mandola and mandocello:

Martin

5. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

Giuseppe Manente (1867-1941): "Rêverie de poète", andante appassionato

I was reminded of this piece by Robert Margo's recent upload of the lovely performance by the Providence Mandolin Orchestra for the CMSA Convention (link).

I had previously recorded this piece at home in 2016. At the time, my standard method of multitrack recording was to use a click track to align the parts, and on listening back now it was a bit stiff and unbalanced. The PSO video has prodded me into replacing my old video with a new one, this time recorded in a more "live music" way (I hope).

My new recording is as a mandolin quintet of two mandolins, mandola (which means OM for European compositions like this one), tenor guitar and mandocello, with the guitar part adapted to suit the tenor guitar tuning, i.e. different arpeggios in the intro and different chord shapes. Recorded by starting with my live video of the mandola part, then layering the other parts over the top of the video soundtrack. No click track involved.

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin (x2)
    Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin (mandola in G)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin

7. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post: