Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for THE book

Default Looking for THE book

Hello,

As I'am quite new to mandolin, I'm a looking for the good method book to learn by myself.

What I want is:

-A book that explore all the specific techniques of the instrument, in all styles of music. (ex: crosspicking, chord melody, etc...)
    -A book that give me tools to play any kind of music which comes in my head in a mandolinistic way.

What I don't want is:

-A book that is just a list of tunes to learn.
    (Although I can understand learning a tune as an exemple to illustrate a special technique.)
    -A book that teaches general music theory. I already know music theory quite well.
    -A book that is locked in one style of music. I can't imagine myself playing just one style even if I love this style.

I have heard about Mel Bay Complete Mandolin Method, and I would like to know if this book can match my wishes.

I know my request might be hard to complete so thanks in advance if someone can guide me.

Have a good day
    My english is not perfect.
    Nor my french anyway...

Default Re: Looking for THE book

Instead of THE book you might want to explore some of the advertisers on the Café. By putting some of them together, eventually you may get what you want. Good luck. Oh, you're English is pretty good.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well ...... Mandolin for Dummies by Don Julin is a good place to start ..... check it out R/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CHU2FN6...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

4. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

Teak 

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

"THE" book sounds like it will have many pages. Good luck on your search.

6. The following members say thank you to BrianWilliam for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by PhilGox View Post
    What I want is:

-A book that explore all the specific techniques of the instrument, in all styles of music. (ex: crosspicking, chord melody, etc...)
    -A book that give me tools to play any kind of music which comes in my head in a mandolinistic way.
    The only book I know that meets your requirements is the one mentioned in a previous post "Mandolin for Dummies" by Don Julin. (The Mel Bay book you mentioned may not be particularly up-to-date.) Don't be put off by the word "Dummies" in the title. It is a serious book from which you can learn "all things mandolin". MOST HIGHLY RECOMMENED.

MikeyG

8. The following members say thank you to MikeyG for this post:

Teak 

I would second or third the suggestions for Don Julin's "Mandolin For Dummies" book as what you are looking for. It covers all styles in a nice way, giving examples. One could stay busy simply learning all of the songs in the book. I have quite a library of study books and songbooks, but based upon your search criteria, Julin's is the one that most closely matches.
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

Sounds like you should just take some lessons with someone whose playing you like. If there is no-one local look into Skype, lots of pros do Skype lessons now.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

"THE book" doesn't exist. But the two that probably come closest are the aforementioned Mandolin for Dummies and Greg Horne's Complete Mandolin Method (Complete Edition). The Complete Mandolin Method is also sold as three separate volumes (Beginning, Intermediate, Advanced), but the compilation is cheaper.

Both books cover a wide range of techniques and styles, will take you from beginner to advanced, and are frequently recommended on the Cafe.

Thanks a lot guys for the suggestion of "Mandolin for Dummies".

I have listened to the audio exercices to make me an idea. It actually covers various styles and techniques.
    I have also found "Mandolin exercises for Dummies" by the same author.
    It seems to be a good complement to the first book.
    I ordered both as they seem to be exactly what I was looking for.
    I think it will take mounths of practice before I finish to explore the two books but this is what I want.

@bigskygirl:

I'd love to have live lessons with someone but I don't know anyone here. And I can hardly concentrate on playing and managing a computer at the same time so I will forget skype for this purpose.
    And a hard book will never suffer bad internet connection.
    I'm an old-school guy from the paper generation but thanks for advice anyway
    Nor my french anyway...

13. The following members say thank you to PhilGox for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peewee View Post
    "THE book" doesn't exist. But the two that probably come closest are the aforementioned Mandolin for Dummies and Greg Horne's Complete Mandolin Method (Complete Edition). The Complete Mandolin Method is also sold as three separate volumes (Beginning, Intermediate, Advanced), but the compilation is cheaper.

Both books cover a wide range of techniques and styles, will take you from beginner to advanced, and are frequently recommended on the Cafe.
    I agree with this, with the caveat that I don't know anybody who's actually worked through the Greg Horne book. That goes for pretty much all the big mandolin methods- Pettine, Calace, etc. I might just travel in the wrong social circles. I personally got a lot out of violin methods like Wohlfahrt and Dancla for my left hand and, at the very beginning, Bickford for my right hand. I think some of the things that helped my mandolin thinking the most were violin and guitar study, but that's a tall order.

♪☮♫ Roll away the dew ♪☮♫ Dan Krhla's Avatar

I've worked through most of all 3 Greg Horne (3 rd book is Wayne Fugate) books and its pretty great. Companion CDs helped a ton.
    do good things

Not through them yet but I'm working on the Horne and the Calace methods. Hard to go through them fast with work and home duties, but I keep at it.

Blog Entries

I really like Todd Collins's two books Modes on Mandolin and Fretboard Studies. I can't think of anything you would master from those books that would not be immediately useful in every genre of mandolinning. I dig into them every time I pick up the mandolin.

I have recently developed a taste for the great old mandolin methods, Calace, Munier, Ranieri, etc., as well as some of the great violin work outs, Wohlfahrt, Mazas, and Fiorillo. I believe that there would be nothing irrelevant to any other kind of music in this kind of thing, but the emphasis and approach is classical.

I would also be remiss if I did not include Marilynn Mair's book "The Complete Mandolinist" which has spent a lot of time on my music stand and from which I really got a lot.

Probably no one book can do it all, but lots of books you can work with. Which is better in a way, as you won't develop so and so's accent in your playing.

The most important thing is that when you get any of these many and various books, you immediately take them to an office supply and copy center, have the bindings removed and have a spiral binding put in. My experience is that if the book doesn't lie flat effortlessly, I will hesitate to use it, and lose a lot I might have gained. Small thing, but very, very, important. The method books are hard enough, and any mechanical impediment will only discourage us further. I believe it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

18. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Hi PhilGox, you managed to get here ok...Skype allows you to sit in front of a live teacher. There can be connectivity issues if you live in an area where there is bad internet and every once in a while there are some transmission problems but I've been Skyping for over two years now without issues.

I Skype with Emory Lester, he sends me pdfs (you should see my book of tunes) and mp3s I can download for future use. Also, I can email him and send my mp3s for feedback.

To rule out such a terrific resource seems limiting...
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Blog Entries

The more I read the original post the more I think that Don Julin's book Mandolin for Dummies really comes the closest to fulfilling the prescription. It really is foundational in a non-denominational way. If nothing else it is a fantastic place to start the journey, and from which to branch off into any and all of the several genres discussed.

The entire staff
    funny....

Take the "Dummies" books and have them spiral bound. Staples here in the states do this. Makes for lots easier playing when the book stays open for you.

I love the dummies book, but it isn't a method book as such-- I'd say that if you got the Tottle book and combined it with dummies, you'd have a lot of good material, and a fairly clear progression.

Blog Entries

In terms of boosting techniques etc you could try this one by Chris Aquevella and Alison Stephens, available as pdf version too;
    http://www.astute-music.com/shop/man...ion-p-532.html
    It's not trying to be The Book, but delivers a good framework for ongoing development of core skills while you explore the instrument.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

24. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

derbex 

Free lessons on youtube.com? Books are how we did it 50 years ago, when I was a kid.....

Books are how we did it 50 years ago, when I was a kid.....
    I'm 44 and I still do it!
    It reminds me that I learned the bass with my ear stuck on my tape recorder, pushing rewind...play...rewind...play... hundred times till the ribbon cry.
    I recognise youtube and skype are much more convenient!

But I love books.
    And I find it harder to concentrate on playing in front of a computer because of to much distraction.
    May be in winter, why not.
    But now I wish I could sit on the grass in the shade of a tree with my mandolin and my book and nothing else.
    Except a little beer may be...

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your advices
    Nor my french anyway...

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PhilGox For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Free lessons on youtube.com? Books are how we did it 50 years ago, when I was a kid.....
    Nah. Youtube has added a gigantic resource, certainly, and is very helpful. It augments, but doesn't replace, the books. At least for the genres of music I like.

The physical book may become obsolete. I have some method books on PDF that I read with my tablet. But it is still the book.

The entire staff
    funny....

29. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Believe me, I had all the Mel Bay's, Peter Wernick, and a bunch I can't remember the names of, but can still picture the covers -- great memories and great instruction! But really, descriptions and words are great, but you need to hear it AND see it to fully understand the "lilt" and "bounce" and "swing" that makes playing the notes really become the song. And those qualities are what separates the pros from the amateurs, IMHO.

PS -- I still love books, our house is full of them, I brought home three more today.......

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    But really, descriptions and words are great, but you need to hear it AND see it to fully understand the "lilt" and "bounce" and "swing" that makes playing the notes really become the song. And those qualities are what separates the pros from the amateurs, IMHO......
    Of course. I totally agree. Its music, you have "get" how it sounds. And playing with ensembles, jams, duets, instructors, informal workshops, and classes, has not and cannot be replaced by youtube. Youtube helps, i agree.

The entire staff
    funny....

But really, descriptions and words are great, but you need to hear it AND see it to fully understand the "lilt" and "bounce" and "swing" that makes playing the notes really become the song. And those qualities are what separates the pros from the amateurs, IMHO......
    I totally agree too with that.
    We first have to hear and feel the music.
    My lack of technique never stops me from jamming with friends on various kind of musics.
    And I often go on Youtube to hear great players.

But although I'm new to mandolin I'm not new to music.
    I can imediatlely hear when my playing *swings like a sausage*.
    So the problem is not in my hears but in my fingers.
    Sometimes I know how it has to sound but I don't know how my fingers can do it.
    Then I think I need written exercises and descriptions to practice slowly with the right technique.
    When I play music I don't care for technique.
    But when I learn technique I don't think about playing.
    For me learning a technique is just learning to use a tool.
    And the more efficient way I've founded is when I learn it like a studious student in front of his book.
    Please never tell this to my friends who believe I'm a crazy rocker who just say one two free four and play!

Anyway, thanks a lot to nice people in this forum who help me a lot!

(*swings like a sausage* is literal translation of french: "ça swingue comme une saucisse" = It has very bad swing. Sorry but l don't know the equivalent in english )
    Nor my french anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by PhilGox View Post
    (*swings like a sausage* is literal translation of french: "ça swingue comme une saucisse" = It has very bad swing. Sorry but l don't know the equivalent in english )
    In America, we had Roger Miller in the mid-60's doing "England Swings (like a pendulum do)".....not sure if the song itself "swings" but is a cute period piece.