Thread: Bill Monroe DVD

Anyone seen any of the Bill Monroe DVDs? I want to buy some video footage of Bill Monroe but dont know what to get. Any suggestions? Thanks ya'll.
    CPD

Get a Movie called "High Lonesome" it's on DVD. It is the Bill Monroe story. Lots of history on bluegrass and Bill Monroe is playing all the way through it. Old Clips and newer clips. Can't go wrong, it's A+
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monroe.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	8769  
    Shalom,Yonkle (JD)

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

Yonkle, I respectfully disagree. "High Lonesome" definitely has some good moments (Jimmy Martin especially) and some OK historical footage but I have always felt it was superficial -- aimed at people who know nothing about BG or mountain music before they see it. As such, OK, but not for the hard-core fan.

A really good Monroe DVD is the set/interview with John Hartford available on Homespun Tapes. There is a second DVD in this set where Sam Bush breaks down the tunes that Big Mon plays on the first DVD. WSM is a bit old (I think 79?) but sure has that right hand!! Hartford brings out some nice stories and the BG boys of the time play quite nicely, especially Dana Cupp on banjo.

I also agree HIGH LONESOME is not the Monroe Story.There is a documentary tha is but I can't remember the title. The Monroe/Hartford is the best for learning about how he plays.

Me, I love the " High Lonesome " video , especially when Bill is putzing around his old house giving dialogue & the music footage is great JMHO...
    keith madison

Well, he asked for a DVD! What else is there, other than the Hartford/Monroe/Bush song video, which is boring to watch, good for learning.
    Shalom,Yonkle (JD)

I never felt the Monroe/Hartford was boring.

thanks ya'll
    CPD

There is also one called, "Bill Monroe: Father of Bluegrass Music" At the end it has a nice Southern Comfort with Marty Stuart. There is also one called "The Legend Lives On: A Tribute to Bill Monroe"

Get both the Homespun dvds. No mandolin player should be without them, imo. "Boring" ?!?! I love the John Hartford/Monroe dvd. I put it on and play it as I would a cd - while I'm working around the house or paying the bills. Watch it a lot, let it seep into the subconscious. The bonus footage of Bill and Doc Watson playing at the White House is worth the price of admission alone.

i agree "Bill Monroe: Father of Bluegrass Music" that is a must.

Bill didn't play 'Southern Comfort'....
    The title of his album that won the first Bluegrass Grammy was 'Southern Flavor', and the title cut on the album was a fiddle tune. As the tune progressed, it changed form and became a mandolin lead number. That is the tune on the video that Bill plays with MArty Stuart.
    I have all the above videos, plus some home-brew. Get them all!

Absolutely, I know and play Southern Flavour (note the Canadaian spelling ;-)), that was some kind of Freudian slip altho' I don't drink Southern Comfort anymore.
    Was the Southern Flavour recording ever released on CD, I have it on a cassette. The only CD version I have is on the Live from The Mountain Stage recording

i get such a kick out of john hartfords bright red socks.... i love john hartford... and bill monroe! its such a great video, and when john acts so aloof, its funny. the footage with doc at the end is great too.
    i sometimes just watch the video for entertainment.
    i learned lots from that video as well...

[QUOTE]There is also one called, "Bill Monroe: Father of Bluegrass Music" At the end it has a nice Southern Comfort with Marty Stuart. There is also one called "The Legend Lives On: A Tribute to Bill Monroe"
    WHERE, Can I get these two? Are they on DVD or Video only?
    OK I will watch the Monroe/Hartford vid again, maybe it's not boring, maybe I was just not in the mood. JD
    Shalom,Yonkle (JD)

Give it another shot, Yonkle. It's definitely not as polished as the newer homespun dvds but still a treasure.

These DVD's and a great assortment of other bluegrass stuff is all available at Elderly (I just checked their webpage).