Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Andrew Marlin's F

Default Re: Andrew Marlin's F

I had a chance to catch a performance with Emily and Andrew in Phoenix several months back, where Andrew played one of these F-styles. It sounded great of course, but my ears were more focused on the those wonderful vocal harmonies. At Carters vintage last year I was very pleased to have an opportunity to play Ellis, Gil, Heiden, Duff, and Kimball mandolins for the first time.

Will K., that used blond two-point of yours with the block fingerboard inlays that was in their shop last Sept. shared the top pick spot in my likings. That thing really had the pop, and the playability.

Scott

Hmmm...

Mr Kimble,
    They used your A Mando on such Jubilee? Wow I did not know that, very cool and congrats...
    Must be a thrill to hear your creation on such a beautiful album. I too recently have become a true fan of these guys..

Best,
    Dem

Thanks for posting! He generally makes whatever he has in his hands sound great!!
    Chuck

5. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Kit or no kit, he makes that thing sound great...
    I've played it too, and in my opinion it's a nice little Mando.. I've played 3 of Andrews mandos minus his Duff, it sounds really nice from what I can hear.

7. The following members say thank you to Demetrius for this post:

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Love that track. It is incredible

Will, I always loved the sound of that Kimble A that he was playing. Have seen them live maybe 5 or 6 times over the years, and most of those shows he was playing the Kimble. Great mandolin, and I am settled firmly in the "A5's for life camp". Hah!

He did have the Sullivan this last time we saw them, which happened to be the biggest band I've seen them play with so far. Upright player, Josh Oliver on electric and acoustic, Emily and Andrew. He played mandolin for almost half the show. I was up pretty close and could hear the straight acoustic sound of the Sullivan. Extremely dry. Like as dry as they get. Big old thundercrack of a chop.

Anyways, all that to say, I love their music, and i certainly love that Kimble. Great work, sir!
    Austin, TX

Ellis A5

I was siting about five feet from Andrew Marlin's Kimble when they played in Leeds (UK) last year. I spoke to them after the gig and Andrew said that he really loved his Kimble. Sounded really good live. waltz about Whisky is a great song.

I like a mellow tone and I agree the mando in post #30 is nice no matter what it is.

I'm sure the player is a big part of it too.

These guys are among my very favs.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

I'm no mandolin tone expert, but the way that Kimble sounds in this video makes me want to sell my car to buy one:

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KarlinJackson For This Useful Post:

Natural Born Tar Heel Perilous Deep's Avatar

In a new interview with David Roberts at Vox, Andrew mentions that he recently acquired a Sullivan A. Recently as in about a week ago. There are several other choice moments as well, particularly that a milestone of success would be the ability to use a diminished scale tastefully in a solo. And his mandolin obsession will be very relatable for many cafe members!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perilous Deep For This Useful Post:

Yeh I actually noticed that he was playing a Sullivan A model in the lates couple of videos...
    And thanks for that great link!!!

Blog Entries

I sit down in front at their show last night in Charlotte. Andrew was playing a blacktop A that looks similar to other Sullivan A's I've seen in pictures. No inlay name just a flower pot high on headstock.

Big big voice on that A. Impressive show from those two as always!

Blog Entries

Agreed -- I was front row in Chattanooga and the Sullivan sounded fantastic. Even when he was several feet off the mic, I could hear the acoustic sound.

The coolest part was their full acoustic jam at the end. They grabbed their opener, Dead Horses, and played two tunes down in the audience. Andrew had no problem cutting through 4 guitars for his breaks!

Saw them in Albuquerque on the 16th of Oct. and Andrew was playing an A style Sullivan that was Sullivan's personal mando. Sounded good.

Quote Originally Posted by gh_mando View Post
    Saw them in Albuquerque on the 16th of Oct. and Andrew was playing an A style Sullivan that was Sullivan's personal mando.
    Yeah, that's "Ella" (John named all his instruments), and it's one of the finest sounding mandolins I've ever run into...seriously.
    I was considering parting with "Roy"--my Sullivan F--and living with Ella for the rest of my days...it's that good.
    I am so thrilled that she's out there getting played in front of a lot of folks--great news...
    And yes, Ella was John's personal instrument...

Here's a bunch of pics of Ella I took when she lived here a month or so ago...

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spruce For This Useful Post:

So good to see a modern day mandolin player making good use of traditional playing techniques. Andrew has quickly become a favorite player to listen to no matter what instrument he's playing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    Here's a bunch of pics of Ella I took when she lived here a month or so ago...
    That's the one. Unique tailpiece.

Looks like the Kimble that Andrew played on Such Jubilee is up for sale!!

http://www.mandomutt.com/products-pa...014-kimble-a-5
    Austin, TX

Ellis A5

25. The following members say thank you to TEvans for this post:

abmatt 

The guy is such a fantastic player. Really enjoyed the clips posted.

Anyone know the story on the guitar? That's one of the most unusual paint jobs I've ever seen. And it looks to have several frets missing in the higher register. Looks like some kind of project guitar. Sounds good though.

Andrew Marlin built it. He worked at some luthier's shop back in the day.
    Austin, TX

Ellis A5

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    The guy is such a fantastic player. Really enjoyed the clips posted.

Anyone know the story on the guitar? That's one of the most unusual paint jobs I've ever seen. And it looks to have several frets missing in the higher register. Looks like some kind of project guitar. Sounds good though.
    It's a beast of a guitar. He co-built it when working part time in the shop of James Griggs of Griggs Guitars http://www.griggsguitars.com/ . Lot's of info on the interwebs re this guitar. Andrew screwed up the 'burst during the finish process, but really likes it the way it is. He refers to it as a happy mistake. He also ripped out the last few fret to eliminate pick click when he plays up there. This is no "project" guitar. Griggs Guitars are as powerful as they come and are in the hands of some of the top bluegrass and country pickers out there. You don't hear much about them because musicians go directly to him via word of mouth from other musicians. He doesn't have the time, nor is comfortable hyping his work.

29. The following members say thank you to ferrousgeek for this post:

Caleb 

Its so cool that Andrew already has a great Sullivan F and now he has a Sullivan A style too.
    Thats what I call a perfect set. I guess this was John Sullivan's personal mandolin.
    Just Awesome!

31. The following members say thank you to Demetrius for this post:

Yep, that's "Ella"...
    One of the best mandolins I've ever played...
    Lots of pics here...

Man, what a treasure