Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing a strap button on A style

Default Installing a strap button on A style

I recently got a new A-style mandolin. I already have an A-style with a strap button at the heel of the neck. The new mandolin has no strap button and, after giving a fair trial, I decided I do not like having the strap tied around the head stock nor around the body of the mandolin under the fret board extension. So I'm going to install a strap button because that's what works best for me. I'm not concerned about it affecting the resale value of the mandolin (I don't think it will and I also don't care if it does).

Is there any reason why I can't do this myself? It seems silly to take it to a luthier for something so simple. I have a dremel tool to drill a pilot hole and I can look at my other mandolin as a reference regarding where the strap button should be installed. I have a strap button and a piece of felt so I think that's all I need. Is there anything I'm missing or anything I need to be careful of? Any words of caution? Advice?

Default Re: Installing a strap button on A style

Make sure to verify the depth before you drill. And wax the screw before driving it in. I've done a couple with no issue. Believe me, that's the same way any luthier would do it. You might want to check for a reasonably flat land for the button and consider the strap attachment size for possible interference.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill McCall For This Useful Post:

Thanks Bill, I'm glad I asked. When you say "verify the depth" what would I be verifying? That the screw isn't going to go all the way through? What kind of wax would I use on the screw?

these guys say cut shorter, but I think you should just get a shorter one from hardware store: https://artisanguitars.com/strap-but...style-mandolin
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gtani7 For This Useful Post:

No reason you can't do this yourself.

Check the screw size and select drill bit accordingly. The bit should only be slightly smaller than the screw. You don't want the screw to crack the wood.
    Decide where you are drilling, and keep the neck joint in mind.
    Put some tape around the bit as a depth gauge.

There is some potential to crack the finish when the bit hits it. Put a piece of tape where you plan to drill. It won't fully prevent this, but it does reduce the risk.

Watch your angle.
    One of the biggest mistakes is hesitating and allowing the bit to slip. If you don't sink the bit in, it can wonder. So get the hole started quick.

Lastly, most Dremels are underpowered for the size of bit and depth you need. You may have to work the bit in and out as you proceed, which is not ideal. Depends on the Dremel of course.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

Problems beginning the hole, as stated by Fear. For a situation like this I would do all the stuff everybody said (tape on the drill bit and tape on the mandolin) but I would also start the hole with a hand-held awl...just a pointed tool you can push into the wood and make a dimple. It gives the drill bit someplace to take hold so it does not wander.

Also, for size of bit, you want the bit size to be the same as the size of the barrel on the screw...that is, the size the screw would be if you stripped off the threads.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RodCH For This Useful Post:

Great, thanks everyone. I'll do all of these precautions. The finish is varnish, so it won't crack. But the wood may, so I'll use an awl to get it started and drill carefully. I have a fairly powerful dremel, but also a hand drill. I could use the hand drill but figured the dremel would be more accurate.

I ordered the strap button and screw from Elderly Instruments. The screw extends 5/8" from the bottom of the strap button, but the felt washer is maybe 1/16" so that reduces it some. Not sure if that's still too long or if I should shorten it.

Still not sure about the wax Bill mentioned. He'll probably write back, but if not, does anyone else know what this is about?

Just wipe the threads against a candle.
    Shade Tree Fretted Instrument Repair, retired
    Nevada City, California

My Dad has always used a wipe off a bar of soap. A little squirt of liquid soap wiped into the threads works great too.

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

14. The following members say thank you to Steve Sorensen for this post:

Put a piece of tape on the drill bit to mark the depth. Remember that the button will shorten the effective screw length. It's easy to push and go deeper than you expect which would be an unfortunate outcome.

Any paste wax or bar soap will do. Just to reduce the friction.

16. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

What everyone said, I use paraffin as a lubricant, but all will do. I personally don't like a strap button as it gets in the way playing. I tie to the headstock, but not at the nut as that gets in the way too. I tie around the tuners to keep the strap away from my hand. I would use the hand drill, they work well for this.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

18. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

When I put a strap button on an A style, rather than in the heel, I put it in the neck block just off the heel on the treble side. Usually a lot more wood there.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Houchens For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    What everyone said, I use paraffin as a lubricant, but all will do. I personally don't like a strap button as it gets in the way playing. I tie to the headstock, but not at the nut as that gets in the way too. I tie around the tuners to keep the strap away from my hand. I would use the hand drill, they work well for this.
    I haven't found the strap button to get in the way if it's on the treble side of the heel of the neck. I'm also not playing up around the 12th fret very often. When I am, I can feel the strap button there under my hand but it doesn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by David Houchens View Post
    When I put a strap button on an A style, rather than in the heel, I put it in the neck block just off the heel on the treble side. Usually a lot more wood there.
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. Here's a picture of where I'm planning to put the strap button. Maybe I explained it wrong, but it will go on the treble side of the neck near where it attaches to the body. Maybe it's only called the heel when its on the back of the mandolin (but still on the neck)?

Anyway, here's what I'm planning to do. My other mandolin is the same way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1724.PNG 
Views:	370 
Size:	811.3 KB 
ID:	148721

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo75 View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. Here's a picture of where I'm planning to put the strap button. Maybe I explained it wrong, but it will go on the treble side of the neck near where it attaches to the body. Maybe it's only called the heel when its on the back of the mandolin (but still on the neck)?

That's where I put mine. Puts the strap in just the right position and I've never once noticed it when playing up the neck in the stratosphere zone.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

If by hand drill you mean a hand held electric drill, I would go with the dremel, but if you mean a hand powered hand held drill I would go with that. Being slower there is less chance of screwing something up such as splitting the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
    If by hand drill you mean a hand held electric drill, I would go with the dremel, but if you mean a hand powered hand held drill I would go with that. Being slower there is less chance of screwing something up such as splitting the wood.
    I meant a hand-held power drill. I'm thinking the dremel would be better. I'll report back when I'm finished. It might be a week or so as I'm getting ready for a camping trip. Also, as I've continued playing it, the strap around the head stock has been growing on me. I'll still add a strap button, but it's less urgent now...

Name:	more scott and kathy 004.jpg 
Views:	503 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	148776
    Maybe you can see it here. Its in the side at the neck block area.

Great suggestions, guys! Looks pretty straightforward. I was going to add, "don't overthink it", but I guess I'm a little too late......

Just kidding!

I use a hand held hand turned old fashioned drill. Works great. A power drill is rarely near any instruments I work on.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Robert Fear mentioned to keep the neck joint in mind. That's a serious consideration. When I put a strap button on a previous Breedlove I owned, they had specific position measurements for that so it would not interfere with the bolts for the bolt on neck joint. If you have a dovetail joint I wouldn't see a problem, but you should check first.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    The bit should only be slightly smaller than the screw.
    To be precise, you want the hole to approximate the shaft of the screw minus the thread.
    And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis

I had no idea what I was doing when I stuck one on my Kentucky 505 and it has improved things no end. I agree about having to tie the strap to the neck or body, always looked too makeshift for my taste. The button looks like it was always there.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo75 View Post

I know this is an extremely popular method, but.... personally it drives me nuts hitting my hand in that location and probably 99% of the broken heels on both mandolins and guitars that I have run into are a direct result of stresses related to putting a strap button there. I won't buy a mandolin or guitar if it has one there.

j.
    www.condino.com

Where would you install one then? Or would you tie around the headstock?