Thread: So, where does Larry Sparks fall?

Default So, where does Larry Sparks fall?

Based on the thread started by DataNick with respect to Bluegrass and "Americana" where does one of my all time hard driving bands fall? Larry Sparks and The Lonesome Ramblers is at once a Bluegrass "Tour de Force" but, carrying a pretty serious swing and R&B flavor. In fact without some of Wendy Miller's kindness I might never have spent forty odd years playing and trying to get a small taste of his sound.
    Larry is about as "individual" as a sound can get and, one I have a very deep fondness for.
    The "Ramblers" of the mid 70's were my concept of a BG "power band" the show was good no matter the circumstances, saw Larry very unhappy with weather but, when he was a kid there(me) he was the professional and turned his attitude around and was more congenial than I have been in the same situation.
    Professionals hah to work hard in the face of some far more difficult obstacles than are at most festivals now.
    Time changes everything.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

2. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Default Re: So, where does Larry Sparks fall?

Tim, I have been a fan of Sparks for a long time, when he was doing mostly traditional sounding bluegrass but the past three times I have seen him he didn`t fit the same style, as you say time changes and I guess he is doing OK with what he has changed to...Many years ago I stopped in at his store in Evansville Indiana and spent a whole afternoon talking bluegrass with him, the next time I went through there he had sold the shop.....

Willie

Like I've said it's the drive that makes it bluegrass. I agree with Willie, old Sparks had drive galore, not so much the last few times I've seen or heard him but I think time and age has helped make the change. I still think I would consider most of his music, bluegrass.

I've heard Larry Sparks change over the years (his band isn't the only one !). I'd imagine that they can still cut it with the best Trad.bands when they want to,but as with other singers,LS's going his own road these days - maybe he decided it was time for a change as well.

From Willie - "....the next time I went through there he had sold the shop.....". You must have given him a hard time there Willie (not really)
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I always thought Larry was considered a bluegrass artist. Especially considering who all he played with before going solo.
    Gibson F-5G (Harvey signed, Oct. 14, 2014)

I'm surprised anyone went back to even look at this thread after over a month!
    drb, I cut my teeth playing entire sides of the "Footsteps of Tradition" album with my band. I always felt he was personification of "drive" in the music style. I always loved the whole sound of that band.
    "Goodbye Little Darlin'" has been a tune I've played with great enjoyment for over forty years! Wendy Miller was very kind to a kid at a festival that many years ago and I will never forget his generosity! Happy to hear he's still making a little music and proud to see his son carrying on the tradition as well.
    I've been lucky to have met as many of the people who first offered a chance to learn about the music to me. Always kind!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett