Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Conservatives

Default Mandolin Conservatives

When it comes to instruments, we musicians are quite the conservative lot. I thought guitar players were set in their ways, what with only a handful of electric guitar styles. The acoustic guitar world is maybe slightly more adventurous in that more types of wood are being used all the time.

It seems to me that the mandolin world is even narrower in its acceptance of shape and material. Was there any time where mandolin builders experimented with different woods and came to the conclusion there was no topping maple/spruce for mandolins? When the odd wood combo shows up here, owners seem to like them, but what percentage vary from the norm?

I am ignorant of mandolin history, and just as conservative in what I will buy, though I do have a redwood top Silverangel on the way.

Default Re: Mandolin Conservatives

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Was there any time where mandolin builders experimented with different woods and came to the conclusion there was no topping maple/spruce for mandolins? When the odd wood combo shows up here, owners seem to like them, but what percentage vary from the norm?
    Gibson's use of birch has always mystified me...
    Thousands and thousands of wonderful instruments were made from the stuff during the mandolin heyday, but you rarely see it employed today...
    Tried-and-true then, ignored today...

Go figure...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spruce For This Useful Post:

Some of the materials selection is clearly derived from violin construction; Mr. Gibson considered the violin "the king of instruments," reportedly, so built his mandolins similarly, and that has become the standard: spruce top, maple body, mahogany neck.

Bowl-back builders used rosewood, maple and mahogany for the bowl staves. Quite a few mandolins were made -- and some are still made -- with mahogany bodies; a large plurality of Martin flat-backs were made that way. I had a koa-bodied instrument built for me, and you see the occasional walnut, cherry, even oak body.

And, of course, you have synthetics, from Ovation's Fiberglas (excuse me, "Lyrachord") bodies, to the current carbon fiber instruments.

Acoustic instrument construction is often conservative; I don't agree that electric guitars have "only a handful of styles," unless one has very large hands! You've had solid-body electrics made of a wide range of materials, from aluminum to Lucite to concrete, and surely in many various shapes. But remember, acoustic stringed instrument construction is based on a 700-year tradition, in which luthiers have experimented with different woods and reached somewhat of a consensus on "what works" -- at least for the sounds we're used to hearing.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

5. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

gtani7 

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    Gibson's use of birch has always mystified me...
    Thousands and thousands of wonderful instruments were made from the stuff during the mandolin heyday, but you rarely see it employed today...
    Tried-and-true then, ignored today...

Go figure...
    Didn't they specify maple in the catalog and then ship birch? That might have been on certain instruments.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I had a Bacon Amateur mandolin (1924) that had Birch back and sides.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

We're not all conservative about wood choice. My one-and-only mandolin is a redwood/maple Lebeda. A friend has a cedar/cocobolo Elkhorn with a nice warm tone. Neither of us play Bluegrass, we're more in the OldTime/Irish trad zone, but I think either instrument could make a reasonable stab at Bluegrass in the right hands.

If you only play Bluegrass and hang out with other Bluegrass players, the mandolin world might seem a bit more conservative about tonewoods than is actually the case. Same thing with guitars, actually. And then there's the ultimate conservative instrument: the fiddle. Mandolins are wildly variable by comparison!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    If you only play Bluegrass and hang out with other Bluegrass players, the mandolin world might seem a bit more conservative about tonewoods than is actually the case. Same thing with guitars, actually. And then there's the ultimate conservative instrument: the fiddle. Mandolins are wildly variable by comparison!
    Spot on.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

It seems to me that the mandolin world is even narrower in its acceptance of shape and material. Was there any time where mandolin builders experimented with different woods and came to the conclusion there was no topping maple/spruce for mandolins?

I am ignorant of mandolin history, and just as conservative in what I will buy, though I do have a redwood top Silverangel on the way.
    For those interested, I cannot recommend strongly enough, Graham McDonald's book "The Mandolin: A History". Even a casual perusal will show striking diversity over time and in different musical genres and musical tastes.

Even for those versed in the history of the mandolin, the book is a great read and a cool reference to have.

We are all part of a really grand tradition, that goes way way back almost uncountable eons. Well, OK. Only 42 centuries. There is a certain thrill in that. We may play bluegrass, only around since Bill, or we may play blues, or classical, but all of us are connected to this ancient ancient tradition, older than the music which we play. It more than shiver inducing to think about it. Every time we pick up a mandolin we incrementally move the tradition a little forward.

Oh well, H.P. Lovecraft, or Indiana Jones, take your pick, it is a tradition "hoary with age".

"Out of whose womb came the ice? and the hoary frost of heaven, who hath gendered it?"

"Shrouded in the fogs of hoary eons past, where rugose gods and creatures long thought moldering in antediluvian tombs stumble blindly... "
    Last edited by JeffD; Aug-09-2016 at 2:09pm.

The entire staff
    funny....

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

See some alternatives Here http://www.mandolincafe.com/archives...rs/selmer.html

Not listed; The Late David Hodson's D'Jangolin ..
    mine Uses the Selmer like laminate of Indian Rosewood outside
    and Mahogany Inside ... with a Spruce top. of course..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I noticed a Poe Scout in the classifieds recently with Birch back and sides.

Can any of the builders speak to the quality of certain woods that makes them more effective tone woods? I have toyed with the idea of attempting a build and am curious about what makes a good tone wood. For instance if I went to the lumberyard in search of a nice piece of birch to use, what are the qualities I would be looking for.

This is a very interesting thread!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Didn't they specify maple in the catalog and then ship birch? That might have been on certain instruments.
    Yes they did Mike, so in the early 20's maybe Loar said why don't we do what we say hence than all models were made from maple.

16. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

So I play mainly electric and resonator mandolins made out of all kinds of cool stuff. Hardly conservative.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Re: electric guitars, if you take the telecaster, stratocaster, LesPaul, and ES 335 styles, I'd venture you would have 80% of all electrics sold. Really no wildly popular new design in decades.

Would it be a fair guess to say 95% of all mandolins are of maple/ spruce?

Yes, violin would be the most rigid of instruments.

I think you could go with 99% and be right.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I have a mahogany mandolin.
    (With spruce top)

Does that make me one of the 1%?

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bren For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I have a mahogany mandolin, all mahogany except for the finger board. I guess I am a 1%er too.

The entire staff
    funny....

Well, how many Gibson birch mandolins are out there?
    A hellova lot more than Gibson maple mandolins...
    Tens of thousands??
    That would knock your percentage down considerably, no?

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spruce For This Useful Post:

My Paul Shippey has rosewood back and sides and a sitka top, great sounding instrument.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

My grandmother's mandolin is dated to nlt 1925. It has an all-mahogony body with maple neck/headstock.

And let's not forget the most ubiquitous material for mass produced instruments: nato.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Blog Entries

I don't think bowlbacks have maple backs, do they? I don't think the staves are maple, or rarely anyway.

The entire staff
    funny....

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I have three archtop mandolins - two f-hole and one oval hole. The two former are redwood/walnut and red-spruce/maple. The latter is red-spruce (three piece) and birch. My pancake is spruce (Sitka?) and maple.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Lots of maple-backed bowls. I have a Greek one with a walnut bowl.

It seems to me that the mandolin world is even narrower in its acceptance of shape and material. Was there any time where mandolin builders experimented with different woods and came to the conclusion there was no topping maple/spruce for mandolins? When the odd wood combo shows up here, owners seem to like them, but what percentage vary from the norm?
    There are few instruments whose variety of shapes is greater than the mandolin. I've seen what must amount to hundreds of different mandolins on this site over the years. It's one of the inherent charms of the instrument, I think.

Regarding woods, plenty of variations there as well. There's an Australian, Peter Coombe, who has been using native woods to great effect, for example. Walnut, mahogany, koa, birch, maple, oak, rosewood, bubinga, on and on it goes. Mandolin luthiers seem to be willing to experiment regarding materials as well as shapes.

You want conservative, look to the violin world, where the basic shape and material list has been set in stone for centuries. (OK, some well-respected old Italians used fruitwoods for some instrument backs, but the Big Guns stuck pretty closely, for the most part, to the best spruce and maple.)

I guess you can call me conservative. I consider F-style too far out.

Different doesnt necessarily make it better. What we are really talking about here is the back sides and neck. The top has always been a variety of spruce or redwood or cedar because they are very light and stiff, which makes it a perfect candidate for the top.

You can be liberal with the back and sides for some reason that i'm not fully able to comprehend. If the top needs to be as light and stiff as possible, why shouldnt the back? Why are we using heavier maple or walnut? Well for certain reasons they need to have some toughness so to speak. The woods for the back need to be hard to prevent damage from use and abuse. Thus i guess we use the harder woods.

Since maple has the traits needed for a back, stiffness, relatively high stiffness to mass, durability, and beauty, why use anything else?