Thread: Considering AT Pro35 - worth hanging on to K&K preamp?

Default Considering AT Pro35 - worth hanging on to K&K preamp?

Now that I have a mandolin with a pickguard I'm thinking about moving from my removable K&K pickup and purchasing an AT Pro35. Can my K&K preamp be used to supply phantom power to the Pro35? I will mostly be going direct to a PA with phantom power and have the trusty old SM57 as a backup, but it would be great if I could use the K&K preamp. I don't really want to mount the K&K on my new mandolin and prefer the sound of the 35 vs. the K&K.

I don't know much about these things, obviously. I wanted a clip-on mic when I purchased the K&K, but just couldn't deal with the setup on my old mandos as far as the clipping-on part. Thanks for any help!

Default Re: Considering AT Pro35 - worth hanging on to K&K preamp?

According to k&k's website, none of the preamps have an XLR input that delivers proper phantom power.

Blog Entries

Plus... they are the wrong input impedance.

So as as Pit says - totally incompatible. I would hang onto to it though, as it is a decent piezo preamp and can be used with other piezo transducers as well as K&K's, so a useful tool to have available (guest performers, as a backup, etc.)

Yes, your new Pro 35 will be fine plugged straight into one of the desk's XLR mic input channels. That's all you need to do. No other preamp needed.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Keep the K&K for that other mando that you know you will acquire. MAS strikes without warning.....
    Living’ in the Mitten

Thanks guys. I decided to use the $150 to get an AKG C1000 after all. something about being tied to a mic on a stand appeals to me more than having a cord dangling from my hip. So far it's been SM57 or the K&K and I appreciate the 'hang on to the k&k' advice, i will. Both of those amplification 'systems' have done ok, and even well, for me so far. Looking forward to an upgrade and hopefully it won't give me too hard a time And thanks for all your comments on other threads that have helped me through this process.