Thread: davy stuart owners!?

Default davy stuart owners!?

On the way to ordering my guizouki from Davy. Got me thinking are there many owners in the cafe here. Could you post pics or vids of your instruments!?
    I will be getting one like this but no cutaway
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10690510956799647.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	149024
    And possibly this

Name:	8821394487101251.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	149025
    Last edited by garryireland; Aug-19-2016 at 5:04am. Reason: pic added

Default Re: davy stuart owners!?

Quote Originally Posted by garryireland View Post
    On the way to ordering my guizouki from Davy. Got me thinking are there many owners in the cafe here. Could you post pics or vids of your instruments!?
    I will be getting one like this but no cutaway

Name:	10690510956799647.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	149024
    And possibly this

Name:	8821394487101251.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	149025
    so there isnt any here??

Garry, I know a guy who has a Foley, a Fylde longscale archtop, a very good Greek bowlback, a Herb Taylor, a Crump OM, and a Davy Stuart OM - but no guitar bodied bouzouki. He has this to say about the Stuart:

"I have a Davy Stuart OM, which I love. Davy (also a working musician, thus particularly sympathetic) is an absolute dream to deal with, his prices are ridiculously reasonable for the quality of his work and he doesn't p*ss you around... You can't beat Davy for price/quality ratio. For a zouk, I can recommend bearclaw Engelmann spruce top if he still has any, with rosewood back and sides. I also have a Davy Stuart guitar."

Hope this helps a bit.
    Last edited by Mike Anderson; Aug-22-2016 at 11:21am.
    "But wasn't it all stupid nonsense, rot, gibberish, and criminally fraudulent nincompoopery?"
    - Neal Stephenson, Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    Garry, I know a guy who has a Foley, a Fylde longscale archtop, a very good Greek bowlback, a Herb Taylor, a Crump OM, and a Davy Stuart OM - but no guitar bodied bouzouki. He has this to say about the Stuart:

"I have a Davy Stuart OM, which I love. Davy (also a working musician, thus particularly sympathetic) is an absolute dream to deal with, his prices are ridiculously reasonable for the quality of his work and he doesn't p*ss you around... You can't beat Davy for price/quality ratio. For a zouk, I can recommend bearclaw Engelmann spruce top if he still has any, with rosewood back and sides. I also have a Davy Stuart guitar."

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks Mike. I know a guy thru the cafe that his band own 5 of his instruments. I was hoping more might show the instruments they have. What a pity this thread isnt happening

Hi there. Davy makes wonderful instruments. I had a longer-scale flat top mando of his that was marvelous, and also a 10-string cittern that was wonderful and rich. I haven't had a guitar-bodied instrument of his but suspect they are wonderful as well. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00973.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	149193

And I've attached an (embarrassing but tonally representative) sound file I prepared a year back when that cittern found a new home.

Good luck with the build!
    Attached Files Attached Files

This is a bouzouki made by Graham McDonald that I used to own:

(Sorry, I misread your post as meaning guizouki owners, not Davey Stuart owners...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqVHJF!E-oFUbwjIBPs+8iBN2!~~60_58.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	149197   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqNHJBEE-b3RQmhiBPs+8S(Z)w~~60_58.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	149198   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqZHJEME-nGtZjckBPs+8UORSw~~60_58.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	149199  

Last edited by Eddie Sheehy; Aug-25-2016 at 12:31pm.