Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast

Thread: D'Addario - Seeking Mandolin Beta Testers

Default Re: D'Addario - Seeking Mandolin Beta Testers

I just put them on a few days ago but have been following this thread. Overall my first impression is really good, I like the tone and feel except when sliding they feel a bit sticky but my pick seems to glide right over them nicely so maybe I just need more time. They have stayed in tune since putting them on, I usually use J74s with a 16 for the A course but I would buy these.

I have used SS stings and liked them a lot but don't care for how they look...now, if they only came in avocado...
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

I've had my set on since October 23rd, and they aren't giving up. They still sound great- maybe even better now. I play for at least an hour a day, sometimes more. The tone of these strings on my Northfield NF-S5 really inspires me to play, just wish I was a better player with a larger repertoire.

Late to the party, not sure how useful it is to post at this time but I couldn't figure where else to do so. Here goes- I received these strings a few months back and they hung around in the package as I had just purchased my new Eastman 605. I played on the strings it came with for about a month, EJ74's. Then I popped on the beta set. First set of SS strings I had played on, regardless of instrument. They've been on about 6 weeks so far. They are a 'light' set, which certainly had something to do with what I was hearing in comparison to the EJ74's. The betas settled quickly and seem to take a beating while staying in tune surprisingly well. Individual notes stand out with a fairly strong fundamental. To my ear they were lacking in overtones, especially on double stops and two finger chords. Each pitch is clear, but lacks something in harmonic interaction. That would probably be somebody's cup of tea, but I don't love them. Hope that helps, thanks for the strings! You won't get my money on these, but you'll still get my money ;-)

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Finally wore out the set of EJ74's I put on the day before the beta strings arrived at the house so I put the betas on earlier this week. At first they seemed a little dull, but after a couple of days they sound ok. I can't tell if it's just having a new set of strings on or if it is these particular strings. I can tell they are different from the EJ74's but can't quite tell how. Are they better or worse?... can't tell yet, but we shall see. If I had a second worthwhile mando, I'd put on a fresh set and play them side by side for comparison. I do feel like the betas may not be quite as loud but like bigsky said above, they do take the pick very well!

Thanks to the gang at D'addario for the opportunity to test drive them for sure!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

a week or so I posted that the Bets had lost some of the quality that I found when I first put them on, that was in a cold climate area and now I am in Florida on vacation I find that my mandolin sounds as good as it ever has so the warm climate sure has a lot to do with the way a mandolin sounds, I`ll keep them on for a while longer to see if they keep sounding as good as they have in the past few days...I will be here until mid Feb and then see what they do when I get back to Maryland...

Some of you folks may want to give them a good trial in different climates if that is possible, or just play them in a room that has some good heat and humidity control...

Willie

6. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    ..... or just play them in a room that has some good heat and humidity control...

Willie
    I read this and laughed enough to snort my coffee out my nose---- it's a good suggestion, but I live on a boat in southern latitudes in winter, and in an unheated camp on Cape Breton in the summer.... heat and humidity control largely consists of putting on and taking off clothes.

Interestingly, my Pava has never suffered in the least from this... I think because any heat/humidity changes occur gradually. The most change I have observed is a very small (0.5 mm or less) change in the action at the 12th fret.

(sorry for the off topic post... I'll go clean my keyboard now...)

So, I have had the NB strings on my main mandolin (Brentrup A4C oval hole) for 2-1/2 months now and I can say that they are quite pleasing. I do hope that they will go into production with them (or have they already?) I do like them and will buy them when available.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

9. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I just got an email from D'Addario that the NB strings will be introduced at NAMM. I see that Elderly has them ordered and should come in at the end of January. Strings listed on D'Addario site
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

The strings are in stock at Strings and Beyond. They are this weeks special, buy a set and get a regular set free:

http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/dadn...emandolin.html
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

And free shipping! Thanks!

Actually, to be clear, it is buy a set of the NB strings and get a set of PB strings for free.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Strange, since I saw the NB's retailing on the D'Addario store for $6.59. Soooo, the free set of EJ's is actually $5.40. Might as well buy two sets of NB's from the D'Addario store. Go to their website and choose "the D'Aaddario store.
    2014 Weber F Style Yellowstone HT
    2014 Weber "Special Edition"
    2012 The Loar LM 500 VS

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hird View Post
    Strange, since I saw the NB's retailing on the D'Addario store for $6.59. Soooo, the free set of EJ's is actually $5.40. Might as well buy two sets of NB's from the D'Addario store. Go to their website and choose "the D'Aaddario store.
    no free shipping at the Daddario Store. $6.99 to ship.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    The strings are in stock at Strings and Beyond. They are this weeks special, buy a set and get a regular set free:

http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/dadn...emandolin.html
    Ordered a set. Thanks for the heads up!

[QUOTE=Mandobar;1547506]The strings are in stock at Strings and Beyond. They are this weeks special, buy a set and get a regular set free:

Oops! Missed the free shipping part!
    2014 Weber F Style Yellowstone HT
    2014 Weber "Special Edition"
    2012 The Loar LM 500 VS

Got my strings this morning!

Registered User Robert Mitchell's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Many thanks Mandobar,,I didn't know of Strings & Beyond,,
    ordered new strings,,FREE shipping!! My new go-to for strings!!
    thanks
    MITCH

GIBSON 2016 F9 CUSTOM
    WEBER YELLOWSTONE 2011 F5
    WEBER YELLOWSTONE 2005 F5

NOTE: Free shipping for any amount is no longer offered at Strings and Beyond unless you buy $35 or more. They do have the free set of EJ strings with every set of NB.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Registered User Robert Mitchell's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wasn't aware,,,still,a pretty good thing.
    thanks,Jim
    MITCH

GIBSON 2016 F9 CUSTOM
    WEBER YELLOWSTONE 2011 F5
    WEBER YELLOWSTONE 2005 F5

I participated in the test. I did like the strings and if I recall I had them on for about 3 weeks. The only issue I had was I tend to like a little heavier string. Well I have kept up with this thread and took advantage of the free shipping and the other set of strings and just put the custom medium on. I decided to try the 11.5 to 40 instead of the 41. I have to tell you that I am very impressed with these strings. Great tone right off the bat just like the test strings and they seem very slick under the fingers. Nice job to the folks at D'Addario.

24. The following members say thank you to John Adrihan for this post:

I wasn't part of the test, but I just got a couple sets with my players points. I just put a set on my Passernig F5. I'm going to a weekend picking party, so I'll report back after that. I do like the feel of them and they are nice to slide on. They aren't jangley brand new, and have kind of a thunky sound to them. I can see the appeal of them. Definitely a different sound than my usual Curt Mangan phosphor bronze strings. We'll see how they do in the jam situation.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

26. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

Thumbs up Re: D'Addario - Seeking Mandolin Beta Testers

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    I wasn't part of the test, but I just got a couple sets with my players points. I just put a set on my Passernig F5. I'm going to a weekend picking party, so I'll report back after that. I do like the feel of them and they are nice to slide on. They aren't jangley brand new, and have kind of a thunky sound to them. I can see the appeal of them. Definitely a different sound than my usual Curt Mangan phosphor bronze strings. We'll see how they do in the jam situation.
    Thanks, Don. We're looking forward to your report after jam-testing!

The strings survived a couple full days of picking. The mandolin sounds really good with the strings. I didn't notice any loss of volume and the tone is very nice. Brings out the thunk of the wood in the tone. I got to hear them from the other side as a couple other folks switched mandolins with me for a few songs. I noticed the NB strings didn't turn my fingertips black like phosphor bronze strings do. They feel nice under the fingers--seems like less tension but I don't know if that's just the way they feel. I usually get 1-2 months out of the Curt Mangan phosphor bronze strings. We'll see how long these last.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave

29. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

Don: that is my general assessment, too. I am approaching my 3-1/2 month mark and tho I do like the played in feel and tone I might change out to a new set soon. I also got a new Guitar which can with PB strings and when they wear out or before I will try a set of the NBA on that.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

31. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

One other observation: it seems like the G & D strings are less buzzy when you fret them. Anyone else notice this?

Wasn't part of the beta, so I'm playing the Curt Manganese's NB strings. Wonder if anyone has compared them to the D'Addario NB?

I'm pleased with the CM strings, not as bright as PB j74's, but more 'mellow', if that makes sense. Clear, sweet tone on my old Weber Absaroka.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A