Thread: Northfield, Passernig, Pava...Input Needed

Default Northfield, Passernig, Pava...Input Needed

I'm getting back into playing some mandolin after a good while hacking through the fiddle wilderness. I'm going to get a new mando, and have narrowed it down to a Northfield F5S, a Pava A-5 Player, or a Passernig A-5. I play mostly bluegrass, sometimes in a full group, and often in smaller arrangements (duets, trios).

I've read some feedback on all of these in various threads, but some updated thoughts from those who have, or have played two or all three of these would be great. I'm not in a location where I can play them before having them sent (on approval), but I might have two of them sent, and pick one.

I tend to like the way the F5 shape feels on my lap, but tone and playability is of primary importance. Thanks.
    2004 Apitius F-5 Classic

Default Re: Northfield, Passernig, Pava...Input Needed

I have sampled Pavas and own an A5 Passernig. Both have very nice warm, complex sound quality and good volume. Either one will be great for bluegrass and other types of music as well. I think both provide excellent quality/price ratio, and they have builders behind them of fine reputation and client satisfaction orientation. I've only sampled Northfields once or twice, and they are fine instruments as well, with lots of fans. All are different as far as neck profile. Hate to repeat what is always said around these parts, but trying reslly is the best way to decide. If you can find some bargain tickets to Austin and combine it with a musical vacation, do it! In any event you have narrowed it down to an excellent group of three, no question in that regard.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Just out of curiosity, what is it that you hope to find in a Northfield, Pava, or Passernig that is lacking in your Altman F5?

I would think that the Altman should cover all the mando bases...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

4. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

Of those 3, particularly if you are looking at the offerings at Fiddler's Green in Austin, the Passernig A5 is a great instrument. In my opinion the only mandolin close to it in the shop is the Ellis F5. The Passernig sounds wonderful and plays like a dream. I was very impressed.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: Northfield, Passernig, Pava...Input Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Stolkin View Post
    I'm going to get a new mando, and have narrowed it down to a Northfield F5S, a Pava A-5 Player, or a Passernig A-5. I play mostly bluegrass, sometimes in a full group, and often in smaller arrangements (duets, trios).
    I used to own an early (pre-Player) Pava and liked it, only I preferred and continue to prefer the Passernig more. They are similar tonally, but the Passernig offers greater dynamics, along with more comfortable for me (Collings-like) playability.

Similarly, I once tried to buy a shopworn Northfield F5S from a Cafe sponsor and was dissuaded by a well-intended salesperson. He felt that it would not match up to other mandolins in my experience (like a Collings) and did not want me to purchase an instrument from a distance with which he did not think that I would be entirely satisfied. I have yet to play one firsthand.

In sum, I would recommend a Passernig enthusiastically. I would recommend a Pava with reservations (depending on your preferred neck profile). And I have no basis on which to evaluate a Northfield.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what is it that you hope to find in a Northfield, Pava, or Passernig that is lacking in your Altman F5?

I would think that the Altman should cover all the mando bases...
    Nuts, it's been so long since I've been here, I forgot to update. I sold the Altman some time ago when I started playing fiddle. Starting back in with a smaller budget.
    2004 Apitius F-5 Classic

8. The following members say thank you to Bob Stolkin for this post:

Another nod for the Passernig. The one at Fiddler's Green, as Mark mentioned, is exceptional. Every Passernig I've played there has been so.

The Pava that I've played there have been great as well, but the Passernigs have just had something extra. There is a considerable price difference between the Pava Player and the Passernig to be considered. That brings up a slightly different discussion.

I think either would be a great option if you have to buy without being able to play first.

Let us know where you end up.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Passernig worked at Collings for a while.

The Pavas have a darker tonal quality, and the finish seems thicker than the Collings. I have a very early Pava with a James tailpiece and I added Waverly tuners. I've consigned it as I prefer the sound to an MT2 that I purchased, quite unexpectedly. It had "it", at least for me (and at least 5 of my mandolin-playing friends who when visiting take it out of its case and leave their own mandolins in their cases).

As for the Northfields, I made a mistake after playing the Big Mon at TME in playing the Collings MF Deluxe, and then the Campanella............by the time I got done playing the Campanella, the Big Mon was long forgotten. I am currently on a "mando-scaleback" or else the Campanella would be here with me right now.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Regarding neck profiles: The Passernig to me has a fairly distinct V, which is Stefan's personal preference, though it is not as thick and wide as say, a teens Gibson. Had him take the edge of the V down a little, a bit more rounded and comfortable. Both this and the Pava are 1-1/8" wide The Pava has a pretty small radius for the fingerboard, meaning it is more rounded than nearly any other radiused fretboard I've ever tried. Feels a little crampy after a while, IMHO. In any event, they both have some magical sound.

Ben at Fiddler's Green was very nice to make a short comparison clip with the Passernig and the Northfield. Hard to draw as firm a conclusion as I could in person, but instructive, nonetheless.

Bob, I'll give you my opinion based solely on this clip. I think the Passernig has more "Personality" and more tone coming from the wood as compared to the Northfield which has string sound in it's tone and to me has less "body" and roundness in the sound.

14. The following members say thank you to KMaynard for this post:

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

That's tough to here a big difference. He's a great player but it sounds like he's using a thinner pick or maybe a pointier pick then I tend to like. Pulls a lot of string sound on both mandolins. Still, often different mandolins sound and feel more different to the player than to the audience.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I agree that the Passernig seems to have some more depth and overtones, but I need to ask Ben how long each one has been in the shop. If the Northfield happens to be newer, it might just be a little tighter at this point.

I played all these madolins last Saturday at Fiddlers Green. First I'll say Ben is a great picker who pulls very fat and satisfying tone from anything he plays. If you don't like what you hear it's not the pick or the picker. Not trying to stray too far off topic but the two in the shop that I liked the most by far were the Ellis f-5 and the Gibson f-9. The Gibson was stellar and had amazing tone and projection. The Ellis was more complex tone and was beautifully built.
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by goose 2 View Post
    Not trying to stray too far off topic but the two in the shop that I liked the most by far were the Ellis f-5 and the Gibson f-9. The Gibson was stellar and had amazing tone and projection.
    Goose, did you also happen to play the Gibson F5G? If so, what did you think?

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I agree that the Passernig seems to have some more depth and overtones, but I need to ask Ben how long each one has been in the shop. If the Northfield happens to be newer, it might just be a little tighter at this point.
    It may be newer, but in person, it is light years behind the Passernig. To my ear, there is very little comparison except on price point. I don't remember seeing the F9. I'll have to stop by and check that one out.

Goose, did you also happen to play the Gibson F5G? If so, what did you think?
    I did play the F-5 G and I thought the F-9 was far superior in tone and feel. To me, that F-9 just has it. Cool minimalist vibe, kinda like a good D-18. I like the gibson sound (I own a Master Model) and I have come across some F-9s and A-9s that knocked my socks off. This is one of those. Get Ben to pick one on it for you. He makes sound so good!
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by goose 2 View Post
    Get Ben to pick one on it for you. He makes sound so good!
    Could this be the one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nion8VuaIgw

Sounds really good.

The Ellis:

and (thanks to Clement) the Gibson:

That Passernig A is awesome. It's got my vote!! And that Passernig mandola. I sit down with that thing for at least 20 minutes every time I make a string run over to Fiddlers.
    Austin, TX

Ellis A5