Thread: Another violin style mandolin builder

Default Another violin style mandolin builder

Anyone played a mandolin by this maker? Doesn't seem to be much info about him on the google.

https://guitars.com/inventory/mf9296...style-mandolin
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Default Re: Another violin style mandolin builder

From a quick search it sounds like Vladimir Logashov is a violin maker who at one time worked at KC Strings and may still work there. I don’t see any mention of specific staff members on their website. There is a long tradition of violin makers trying their hand at mandolins.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Another violin style mandolin builder

Gruhn is now carrying "violin style" mandolins by two different makers.
    The Vladimir Logashov mandolins have just come in, and I haven't seen them yet.

I did see and play two of the Anton Krutz mandolins when the first ones came in about a year ago.
    I remember that George asked me to try a couple of mandolins with my eyes closed, so I wouldn't know what I was playing.
    One I promptly identified as an old mandolin, which turned out to be a late 20's F-5, which sounded like it was "supposed to."

The second was a mandolin with a much fuller voice than the old Gibson. It had good projection, plenty of power, and balanced response from the open G to the 15th fret G. I thought it to be a very good instrument. This was a Krutz mandolin. I would also say that these instruments are best suited for solo and small group use, rather than a big, hard-driving bluegrass band. That's because their trebles might be a little "thicker" than what some bluegrass players might prefer.

I recall that the only thing I saw about those two early Krutz mandolins that could have stood some improvement was that the final varnish coat could have been applied a bit more skillfully. Those two instruments have since been sold. I have not played a more recent Krutz.

I don't know whether or not Logashov or Campanella mandolins are similar in tone to Krutz mandolins.

These days, George Gruhn is quite selective about carrying new instruments by unknown makers. He won't carry new handmade instruments that are weak or crude.
    I too will be interested in hearing about one of the new Logashov instruments.
    Last edited by rcc56; Feb-03-2023 at 3:27pm.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post: