Thread: Ditson Bowlback Bridge

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Default Ditson Bowlback Bridge

I have a 1905 Ditson bowlback that was restored by Elderly.
    As part of this restoration, the old bridge was repaired. The bridge is quite functional, but has some sharp edges that irritate my palm. I've tried to soften these edges but wondered if a new bridge that retains this overall look is feasible. Would any luthier/repairperson be willing to re-make this bridge? Thanks in advance for your consideration.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1027.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	612.8 KB 
ID:	149283

Name:	IMG_1028.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	453.9 KB 
ID:	149284
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

Default Re: Ditson Bowlback Bridge

I'm interested in ideas on this. The bridge on my Ibanez irritates my hand, as well. I suppose a light hand-sanding could take the edges off, but that bridge has nice, crisp lines you probably don't want to ruin on one side.

An armrest comes to mind, as we've seen a few really nice looking examples here lately. How you'd attach one to a bowl-back is beyond me.
    Kirby Francis

Francis Guitar Repair

Bill, I make replica bridges like that all the time. However, the hard part isn't making the bridge, but fitting it to the instrument and getting everything properly set up. I'm also wondering what it is that's catching your hand? Hard to tell from those images, but has the central section of the bridge been cut down so there are two "posts" sticking up either side? If so that could well be annoying... ideally the central section (where the "comb" is that holds the strings laterally) would be built back up to full height. The way I tend to do this, is to remove that section completely (as in sand it down till there's a flat base), then graft in a new square piece of ebony, sand level, and cut new string slots. I would point out though, that these bridges are pretty angular no matter what you do...

HTH, John.

Wait a minute! You shouldn't be resting your palm on the bridge anyway, should you? I just took out two mandolins, one bowlbacks and one archtop and I can't even see how you can play resting your palm on the bridge. Am I missing something here?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Wait a minute! You shouldn't be resting your palm on the bridge anyway, should you? I just took out two mandolins, one bowlbacks and one archtop and I can't even see how you can play resting your palm on the bridge. Am I missing something here?
    Palm no, heel of the hand yes: it's my anchor point, well technically I rest it just behind the bridge, but either way I wouldn't want any sharpies on the bridge either, so I sympathise with the OP.

I suppose there is an occasional resting on the bridge but it seems sort of counter-productive for tone production. But, what do I know. Carry on!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

It would be counterproductive to allowing the top to vibrate but I have been guilty of doing the same. I'd polish the top of the bridge with very find sand paper myself.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    ... I'm also wondering what it is that's catching your hand?.....Hard to tell from those images, but has the central section of the bridge been cut down so there are two "posts" sticking up either side? I would point out though, that these bridges are pretty angular no matter what you do...

HTH, John.
    What I think of (perhaps mistakenly) as the classic Vega bowlback bridge is similar to Bill's replacement but considerably streamlined. I have a hunch Vega was making these for Ditson, anyhow.
    I don't really rest my hand on them, but I have had some (I think I got from a guy in Florida) that had all these fussy crenellations on them which inevitably did snag on something. FWIW, I think the Vega ones are nice looking and a bit less hand hostile, and certainly easier to make.

Mick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VEGA1.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	149397  
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I like the nice sharp edges on the bridge, but they bother me too. I am talking about a regular adjustable bridge. All mine have been rounded for comfort so as it is brushed with the hand it is rounded and smooth.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thanks for the replies.
    I don't actually rest my palm (clumsy description earlier) on the bridge when I play, just reference the heel of my hand occasionally.
    Here's a photo of the bridge before restoration:

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	252.8 KB 
ID:	149461
    The center part had to be fitted with a new piece of ebony, but in order to get the action lower it had to be a bit shorter than the "shoulders" (excuse my non-luthier terminology) leaving them proud with angular edges.
    Here's a better pic of the restored bridge:

Name:	FullSizeRender 2.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	308.0 KB 
ID:	149463

Hmmm...John could you make a bridge ship it to me? I could perhaps get it fitted to the mandolin here at Elderly. PM me if this seems sensible.
    Last edited by Bill Clements; Sep-02-2016 at 9:16pm.

duplicate post
    Last edited by Bill Clements; Sep-02-2016 at 9:14pm. Reason: senior moment

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Clements View Post
    Hmmm...John could you make a bridge ship it to me? I could perhaps get it fitted to the mandolin here at Elderly. PM me if this seems sensible.
    Will be in touch off list,

Best, John.

On a few occasions I've ended up with a bridge, or a nut with sharp corners. However, if those components are well functional, than I just dull the corners and sharp edges with a fine file & sandpaper, and that is as easy to do as eating a square pie. Having said that, I should also add that Tavy has made a few excellent repro bridges for my bb mandolins. However, in all cases he also had the mandolins in his hands, and was doing the whole setup.
    Bona fide dilettante

15. The following members say thank you to plinkey for this post:

and that is as easy to do as eating a square pie.
    Hmmmm...like this one?

Name:	Square Pie.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	149480
    Oh boy, that was off-topic! Thanks for your vote of confidence, Plinkey.
    John has graciously agreed to make me a new bridge. So the old Ditson bridge will be on it's way to him soon.

17. The following members say thank you to Bill Clements for this post:

Bruce, that square pie picture cracked me up.
    Tavy will take a good care of your needs. I like the colour and texture of your Ditson pickguard. It's almost impossible to find that type of material today. Also, the bridge as it stands today is a fine Vinaccia (and some others) style. Unfortunatelly, that bridge model with a bone saddle sitting on a shelf under the string spacer bar often breaks (ebony tabs between strings), especially if the bridge is tilted. On a couple of my mandolins I had to sacrifice bridge originality for function (viz. intonation) and shaved the string spacer bar, and then cut a wider saddle so as to get more string compensation "depth". Sorry, if I've gone off tangent here.
    Bona fide dilettante

All's well that ends well!
    John received my old Ditson bridge this past week, already has replicated it and sent the new bridge on it's way to me.
    In fact, he added an extra bridge just to give me a more comfortable option, if I so choose. The photo below depicts old bridge at top, John's reproduction in the middle, and "stick bridge" at bottom.
    Thank you, John!

Name:	small-DSCF3622 2.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	346.5 KB 
ID:	149802

20. The following members say thank you to Bill Clements for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Ooooh. "Stick bridge" is nice. Might have to contact JM about getting a couple of those....

So's the pie, Bill. What is that, mincemeat?

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Blues Berry!

23. The following members say thank you to Bill Clements for this post:

The bridge installed. The Ditson plays great now.
    Thanks to John and Elderly!

Name:	IMG_1187.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	366.4 KB 
ID:	150352

Name:	IMG_1188.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	804.0 KB 
ID:	150355

25. The following members say thank you to Bill Clements for this post:

Nice! Enjoy it Bill!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

27. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Looking good! Looks like it needed a higher saddle?

Hi John:

Yes, it needed a higher saddle.
    I also had the frets dressed a bit to eliminate a tiny bit of buzzing, as the action is now very low.
    I only wish I work this great when I'm over 100!
    Thanks again.

Name:	IMG_1191.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	680.5 KB 
ID:	150405