Thread: How to Upgrade at this Stage

Default How to Upgrade at this Stage

Hello Hello,

I'm an intermediate/advancing player and I'm looking for some advice on upgrading my mandolin. Right now, I'm playing an Eastman MD515, that is, in fact, awesome. It is on par with (almost) any mandolin I've played in the $2000 (CAD) range.

However, I find volume to by a problem at fully acoustic jams/gigs, and the tone of my Eastman is a little on the shrill side, particularly in the upper register.

The way I see it, and this has been discussed briefly in this forum before, is that there isn't a huge market between say a slightly higher end Eastman, Kentucky, old Gibson A, or a used Collings A (for example), and say a dream Weber, Apitius, etc.

One example that comes to mind, is Northfield, though I am beginning to see them increase in price a little, and it would still be a lot of money for a graduate student (me). Similarly, Pava.

Are there any recommendations here in terms of instruments or things to do with my Eastman?

Default Re: How to Upgrade at this Stage

Before you spend big money on your grad student salary, spend just a bit trying out different picks. I have an Eastman MD-505 that is similarly a bit harsh on the high end. I tame it with a Dunlop Primetone semi-round 1.3 mm pick. Not the grippy one, which I've found enhances the tinny high end, but the smooth grip one.
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--DNP515R1

Different strings might also get you some more volume and remove some tinny sound. The go to set is the d'Addario EXP74CM

http://www.daddario.com/DADMobilePro...&productid=671

PS- I know it is more fun to audition new mandolins, and buy something new, but I bet with a little experimentation you can get that Eastman sounding more to your liking.

Ahhh, hilariously enough, I use those strings, and they have made a difference. I recently tried those picks and I do not like them. I am awaiting some Wegen mandolin picks to try. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by blongnl View Post
    Ahhh, hilariously enough, I use those strings, and they have made a difference. I recently tried those picks and I do not like them. I am awaiting some Wegen mandolin picks to try. Thanks!
    Keep auditioning picks. I'm sure you'll find one you like that help you get the sound you're looking for!

You might try one of the multi packs here
    http://jtspix.com/buy.html

You could try a Cumberland Bridge. Most people seem happy with them and increased volume is one of the noted changes.

6. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest Steve View Post
    You could try a Cumberland Bridge. Most people seem happy with them and increased volume is one of the noted changes.
    That's a good call, if you can, or have someone near you who can fit it to your mandolin. I recommend the full contact base. You'll need a radiused saddle.

8. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

I got a Cumberland bridge for my 515 which really improved the tone.
    Now playing a Northfield F5S and couldn't be happier...

Consider a Silverangel A style. Especially on the "econo" models, they're a spectacular bargain. Also, you can often find Weber Gallatin Fs in that 1500-2000 range used, as well as Collings MTs. I realize the SA and Collings aren't F styles, but if volume and tone are what you want, they're both very, very good mandolins. Good luck!
    Chuck

A nice collings mt or mt2 will get you over wanting an F style in no time at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    Consider a Silverangel A style. Especially on the "econo" models, they're a spectacular bargain. Also, you can often find Weber Gallatin Fs in that 1500-2000 range used, as well as Collings MTs. I realize the SA and Collings aren't F styles, but if volume and tone are what you want, they're both very, very good mandolins. Good luck!
    I just moved from an Eastman MD 505 to a Silverangel A, and the difference is pretty dramatic. I imagine a Collings or a Weber would be too. There is just something I like more about the SA signature sound, and the distressed aesthetic that draws me to it. I consider myself lucky to have had one pop up in the classifieds the day I was just going to bite the bullet and buy a new MT. Saved a ton and got the mando that suits me. Too bad there aren't more out there for people to try.

I had gone through several of the "import" < $1000.00 A's and F's when I took a chance on a 20 year old Ratliff RA5 [Audie's] listed in the classified here for slight bit over that $$ limit.

My "Mandolin Aquision Syndrome" is in remission for the far distant future [quite possibly more future than I have available].

There is the distinct possibility that my Mandola Acquisition Syndrome is still active though.

[My Clark OM has cured that disease….. but there is a resurgence of the Zouka virus showing up in the area]

Keep an eye out in the Classifieds here!

Yes. Nice Weber on there now. You can get a lot of mandolin for under $1500.

Try D'Addario EJ75s (or EXP75s). The heavier G strings will give more volume and shift the tonal balance away from the high end.

Raise your bridge. This increases the volume, so take it as high as you're able to play with.

16. The following members say thank you to houseworker for this post:

Ah yes, the Eastman High Lonesome

What year Eastman? I think the older ones (mine are 2011, 2006) benefit more from Cumberland bridge and Grover 309s (what i put on mine) or Rubner tuners. The newer ones have better components. But I wouldn't put a huge amount of money in it unless it'll be your longtime backup or you want to learn fitting tuners and bridges or something like that.

You could try GHS silk and bronze strings and caseine picks (Red bear, papa's, Herve, John Pearse, there's been a few threads about them) for darker tone.

recent upgrade threads:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...lins-1000-1500

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ecommendations
    Last edited by gtani7; Aug-28-2016 at 3:19pm.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Quote Originally Posted by houseworker View Post
    Try D'Addario EJ75s (or EXP75s). The heavier G strings will give more volume and shift the tonal balance away from the high end.

Raise your bridge. This increases the volume, so take it as high as you're able to play with.
    In my experience this will be the best way to get the results you are looking for without throwing too much money at the situation. Realistically a CA bridge professionally fit to your mando with a setup could be anywhere from $150+ if you are paying to get the work done. Realistically, I wouldn't forsee it having major impact on the sound unless your mandolin has issues presently. That $150 could be important in your mando bank when you do decide to move up.

I agree, least investment for easiest, most immediate, return! Start with the cheap parts, strings are never forever, picks (mostly) wear out. Bridge, maybe. my mandolin came with a single foot, rosewood bridge. I had a hair in my ear to try an ebony two footed one, in all honesty, it was so long ago I can't say just how much difference it made but, I "thought it did"!
    If it makes you happy, you will like it!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Or this Rigel A+ Deluxe that just appeared in the classifieds:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/101891#101891
    $1300 is a really good price for a very nice mandolin.
    Normally don't see those for less than $1700. Occasionally down to $1450 or so. New = $2700

Or this Weber for $1300
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/101868#101868
    Last edited by colorado_al; Aug-28-2016 at 10:03pm.

Adding an armrest to my 315 got my forearm off the top and added volume. Night and day playability improvement, as well.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

A toneguard is another dramatic upgrade. You can use it on your new mandolin whenever that happens.

Nice selection in the under $1500 range now in classifieds. These usually go fast.

I actually think there is a pretty dramatic difference and improvement going from a MD515 to Collings MT from what I can remember. You may also find a used Weber Gallatin A for a little less than the price of a used Collings MT.

In other words, there is definitely plenty of options between a Eastman / Kentucky, and something like an Apitius / Collings MF5.

I had an Eastman 815, and I know where you're at. As you become a better player, and your ear for mandolin becomes more experienced, you will start to recognize that your Eastman just doesn't have the tone you crave. This is especially true if you are playing and listening to bluegrass. I tried changing strings, picks, and bridge, but could never hear what I really wanted to hear. In the end, I decided to sell the Eastman and move to better tone. But I could not spend $3000 or $4000 on a mandolin. I found my perfect "step-up" mandolin in a great Weber Bitteroot A-style. It's the satin buckskin finish, and has a mature, woody, throaty tone that my Eastman never had. And as a bonus, the Weber plays much easier. I have not had any regrets going from an F-style to an A-style, considering the build quality and great tone of the Weber. I'm a very happy camper, and may never change mandolins again. The Eastman was good, but after a while, good just isn't good enough.

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

A used Collings MT is a pro level mandolin at a great price. They are pretty darn consistent as well. Don't over think it. If you can afford it, do it. They are easy to sell and trade later as well.

MTs seem to be going for $1700 or so these days, a chunk of change more than several other mandolins in the classifieds right now. Can someone comment that has had both something like the Weber Galatin and an MT so as to shed some light on if the extra expense is worth it?

I personally like Collings neck profile better than Weber. Only a personal preference. Both are very high quality mandolin makers.

I played this Ratliff the other day and it is really nice:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...-St-Louis-1195