Thread: Neck profiles on mandolins?

Default Neck profiles on mandolins?

New to this group, thought I'd join to ask this question. I have a Kentucky KM380 A style mandolin that I like a lot. The neck seems to fit my hand well, and it plays easy after adjusting it. I recently purchased a Kentucky KM600 F style mandolin. The neck seems to be much more "V" shaped, I really don't like the way it fits my hand.

I would like to buy an F style mandolin that has a similar neck profile to the KM380 (more round). But, like almost everywhere, the middle of small town Iowa has very little in the way of mandolins to actually check out and play.

Anyone here have knowledge of what popular F style mandolins have a rounder, less "V" shaped neck? One model I'm considering is the Loar LM520.

Thanks for your input!

Default Re: Neck profiles on mandolins?

I've never given mandolin lessons but...... Are you sure you're not actually gripping the neck? Perhaps I learned wrong but my hand only touches on, or within a half inch or so, of the fingerboard. If I get my hand any closer to the back (middle) of the neck, it slows me down.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

I'm a guitar player of 27 years who's really got into the mandolin in the last six months. I don't really know the "correct" way to play the mandolin, but I rest my thumb on the back of the neck when I'm playing single notes, especially towards the nut end of the neck. And I just prefer the feel of a rounder neck.

Blog Entries

And I just prefer the feel of a rounder neck.
    Neck profile preferences vary all over the map. There is no correct or incorrect there. Others will weigh in on what models you may want to try.

I'm a guitar player of 27 years who's really got into the mandolin in the last six months. I don't really know the "correct" way to play the mandolin, but I rest my thumb on the back of the neck when I'm playing single notes, especially towards the nut end of the neck.
    Holding the mandolin in a more "mandolinny" fashion is only relevant in that your tastes in neck profile may change if your grip changes, and changing your grip is an expensive thing to try.

Check out this video.

A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Weber has a D profile neck as their standard. Lowest price used Weber is about double the cost that you are looking at though.
    I'd contact the Mandolin Store and Elderly and maybe some of the other shops that sponsor here and ask what they have with a D profile. I think The Loar LM520 will have a similar V profile to what you have already.
    http://www.theloar.com/products/mand...olin-lm-520-vs
    "The maple neck has a comfortable rounded “V” profile"

Great video!

Most of the eastmans I've played have a rounded D or C shaped neck. I'd call most kentuckys i've played 'rounded vees'. My duff is a straight-up vee, which have such a point that it kind of points into your thumb bone at certain angles in a way that rounded vees or round necks just don't.

In addition to the neck profile I've learned that the depth of the neck has a big affect on playing comfort level. Probably more than the profile. Some necks are slimmer than others (talking about the depth from the fingerboard to the back of the neck, not the nut width). I like a deeper neck, regardless of the profile. Slim necks hurt my hand. Unfortunately I learned this the hard way and I have a great mandolin with a slim neck that isn't working for me...

Anyone here have knowledge of what popular F style mandolins have a rounder, less "V" shaped neck? One model I'm considering is the Loar LM520.
    The LM-520 is a great choice at the price point, but it is more of a soft "V" neck. Most of the best choices of mandolin will lean toward a "V".

There actually are a lot of instruments made that have the same profile as your 380, but unfortunately, these are not the stand out models as far as tone goes.

I realize this post isn't much help.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

My 1 F5, a Lebeda Jazzica has a slim almost violin like D cross section neck

My 22 A4 is a rounded V Just at the dawn of the Truss rod era

Neck Profile is of course a topic you can discuss with the seller , before purchase
    if you think to mention it..

Taking a picture of a piece of insulated copper wire bent over the neck
    is a graphic way to show the shape..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture