Thread: Tenor guitar re-fret video in 2 parts

Default Tenor guitar re-fret video in 2 parts

I've made a two part video showing the processes involved in the re-fretting of my acoustic tenor guitar by luthier Ian Chisholm, from whom I commissioned the instrument in 2009. The video is quite informal - more of a leisurely chat between two old friends (we've known each other for over 40 years) than an instructional exercise - but with some "slow lutherie" as the main discourse! The total footage, from which just about an hour has been distilled, was over 7 hours, so many of the more repetitive tasks have been faded to show mainly the starting and finishing stages. The guitar, after all, does have 20 frets. There's no fancy video technology in this - just me behind my Canon 70D and Ian in front of it. We had a great time in Ian's workshop in Ditchling. The sun was shining, Ian did an excellent job, and I'm looking forward to showing more of this lovely instrument to you on YouTube in the future.

Part 1 covers mainly the removal of the frets from the fretboard. Part 2 (to follow) covers the preparation of the fretboard for the frets, the re-fretting and the final crowning and dressing.

Various people are name checked in the video, so - for your information: Richard Osborne and Nick Benjamin are two excellent luthiers from Lewes in Sussex, both of whom have offered help and advice to other local makers over the years. Rob Naylor is a friend of ours who also possesses Chisholm guitars. "Doc" is Doc Rossi, an American who is resident in Europe, and who is a professional player of citterns and similar instruments - some made by Ian. "Julian" is Julian Burton, an old friend and ex-band member who now lives in France. He used to "disinfect" his saxophone with essence of Harveys, the local Sussex brew, and is now doing the same with a variety of Breton beers...

www.willflyguitar.com
    http://www.ianchisholm.co.uk/

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WillFly For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Tenor guitar re-fret video in 2 parts

And here's part 2 - showing, in particular, the care that Ian takes with the dressing and crowning processes.

4. The following members say thank you to WillFly for this post:

fox 

Thanks for posting that Will. Great to see Ian at work. You should get great fret life from the EVO fret wire.

Scott

Cheers Scott - you're dead right - that EVO wire will outlast me, I'm sure!

Regards,

Will